OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Iggy_82

Iggy_82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    This clearly needs to be optimized, my spec is AMD FX-6100@4,2Ghz, 8gb ram, Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming and Oculus Rift.
    The GPU usage is just 12% and I can´t get more then 14 fps no matter what settings I try. The CPU cores isn´t used so much either so I can´t find any bottleneck. AC runs extremely well in VR with maxed out settings and so does project cars. I hope it will be improved because this is my favourite racing sim!

2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Your CPU is way too slow for a 980... A FX8350 would be a minimum imo...

3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Ok first impressions:

- Runs flawlessly on my system with default settings (specs below)
    - Performance with a few cars on a small track is equal to AC (using AC to compare, only other VR title I drive)
    - Performance with more cars on a bigger track and it starts to drop - as expected - but more so than AC
    - Mirrors on some cars at certain tracks don't work properly (Real mirrors not Virtual)
    - I'm yet to tweak the "different render target multipliers" but did try 4.0 and it ground to a halt - as expected!
    - Needs an FPS counter, SteamVR one does not work, this would help with getting the settings just right.

Overall: Mightily impressed for a first Beta Release, a few issues as to be expected but initially everything seems to be off to a great start. I can foresee myself enjoying this in the coming weeks and shall report back with further Bug reports and any Issues I come across , Many Thanks :)

Specs:
    i5-3570k @ 4.20Ghz (overclocked from stock 3.40ghz)
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G
    RAM 8gig
    Mobo Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    Windows 10
    Peripherals: T300RS(GTE), G25 Pedals with GTEye Springs, SHH Shifter

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to lauch R3E in VR without Steam VR room? I know I can try, but it will take a while to download everything, so would appreciate if someone comments.

Also, have anyone tried in game AA with VR? Cheers! :)

5. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    OK, so I can assign the keys in-game but then enable in the cockpit file for each car I want? (assuming 0 here is don't move ofc...)

Maybe it's my english but this post is confusing to me.

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    AMD CPU's struggle in general with single-threaded Processes like R3E unfortunately is. If you check the load on the cores you might see much load on one Core while the others are more or less in idle... might be worth to check that...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The head movement in options and the files you change in car view folder isn't the same type of movement.
    Changing in the car view files gives you a lock to horizon type of movement. (G-force movement for roll, pitch and yaw)
    0 = no movement
    1 in front of all the zeros = maximum movement, 50 or 60 = movement, but lowest possible.

8. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Hangs and black screen in Rift. Nothing happens. Sure there's a fix somewhere if anyone has figured it out yet?

• Like Like x 1
  9. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Which rift do you try it with? Sounds like the dk1 might have some problem.

10. Purg

Purg Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    First attempt, no problem in my CV1. Looks like a very good first implementation and now heading to the store to purchase some DLC. :D Have had the game in my library since release but never really spent much time with it (55 minutes according to Steam) and that's about to change.

A lot of time in pCars and AC but the AI in both sims never did much for me. Always envious of RRE as it had a few series that I wanted to race and very good reports on AI behaviour but can't play flatscreen sims ever again.

One thing I noticed is that the environment is similar to that of pCars if you were to turn down the 'World Scaling' (I think it is). The world looks smaller than you'd expect. Minor issue as it doesn't make all that much difference to me. Racing in VR rocks either way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Using CV1. Tried many things now. Deleting, re-installing, verifying ... etc... I'm sure the answer is simple as it worked for 5 minutes even though the view point was outside of the car.

12. Thomaso

Thomaso Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Rename line in cockpit_driver_view.xml file in the directory of the car you are using like in the picture shown.
    "<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>" to
    "<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{1.00000000 0.00000000 1.00000000}</orientationSpeed>"
    It will lock view to horizon...a must at least for me when using VR.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Going to try a complete reinstall. From the 5 minutes that did work it looked like an utter triumph! Will report back tomorrow, hopefully with some good news ;)

14. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Pure joy now!

Performance could be better, but with my settings (anti aliasing on 2x, most things on medium, mirrors on low, textures on max, bloom, fxaa and godrays off), just "-vr" without any "2.0" settings in the launch options etc. + 1.6x Pixel per Display Override in the Oculus Debug tool and it looks and works very nice and very clean with the Rift CV1 on my GTX 1070. I get some slowdowns, but i guess that will be improved over time.

But it looks like the menu system is indeed working with a lower framerate than the game itself. Might cause motion sickness for some people.

It also looks like some of the cars have no seats (tried mainly Group 5 and GTO cars), but i guess that's because nobody thought about vr when the 3d models were designed :) But that's ok for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    needs lots optimization..turned up to 3.5...runs ok in sp..but so much flickering..blurry blotchy image..have aa turned to 8x..shadows off as they looked so pixalated....if it had same image quality as Assetto I would be driving this lots...but for now it does not compare in image quality

16. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Really great work, well done!

I have only minor issues to report
    1. time deltas on the very top are grey font on grey background
    2. outer mirrors seem to have incorrect scaling, also distortion (tried amg dtm 2016)
    3. mouse hangs sometimes. i found out that there was a steam vr config window on the screen. when the mouse cursor hits that area the mouse does not move in vr. is there a way to enable mirroring to the screen anyway?
    4. i miss the driver name/ping labels above the cars
    5. would be great if the hud elements could be positioned individually

• Like Like x 1
  17. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Thx heaps for the VR update
    Had a quick race at Macau @vr 2.0 and the resolution was what I expected and similar compared to AC and iRacing and PC.
    Mouse seems to hang and the button activation areas are slightly off to the right on some. So clicking the restart button my pointer is of to the right instead of on it. Couple places I have black flickering on the rift like tearing.
    Mirrors worked perfectly

18. Obizzz

Obizzz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Run the game from steam. Alt Tab to Simvibe and "launch" it. It will attach to the already running game. I can confirm it's blurry as hell when you launch via Simvibe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. franz

franz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. That help me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. franz

franz New Member

Ratings: