Resolved Workaround if you cannot join your own dedi server

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Christian G, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    And is it the same in router and website?

2. digi_hero

digi_hero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean? And how do i check?

3. Nenadv73

Nenadv73 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Did you make it
    port forwarding
    router UDP 60000 60002
    TCP 60001

if you did not made port forwarding

you have to go to your router find port forwarding and made 3 ports
    RR1
    RR2
    RR3
    RR1 60000 UDP
    RR2 60001 TCP
    RR3 60002 UDP

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. digi_hero

digi_hero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I did, but just to make sure, does it have to be external or internal, and what difference is there?

5. Nenadv73

Nenadv73 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    You have to make a port and they must be constantly on you have to check if it has changed ip address When change, you have to put a new one I sent you pictures of how I installed it

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. Bauer

Bauer Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    You can use a web service to check if your port forwarding is on. Try to search for port forwarding test on your favourite search engine.

7. Alfonso Cachón Sánchez

Alfonso Cachón Sánchez New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your help Racki ! the best post and solution for me. I had the same problem to connect to a local server from machines in the same LAN than local server. Its not necesary a loopback interfaces or anything. My port forwarding is correct from Cisco router but it doesnt work and I was crazy with the problem.

Good solution.
    thanks machine !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Danny Waters

Danny Waters New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi.

Has anyone made this work? I have been working on it now for 4 hours?

I have one more thing to try but i was wondering if anyone has made it work?

Thanks in advance.

9. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    @Danny Waters some have made it work others struggle , it could do with someone making a better video tutorial imo

10. Caryl

Caryl Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Dont work for me....tried every solution explained here, nothing works.I'm in the same situation as before : trying to connect with a 2nd pc on a server running in the 1st pc, both connected to the box. The stranger thing is that the server monitoring increment the number of players for 10 sec when trying to connect with the other pc, and then seems to kick me out or lose connection. But no pop up or informations about what happend...This thing begin to make me mad....
    Box : Livebox play

Update : the solution server+game on same PC with loopback adapter works.....Any tips to make the 2 pcs solution working? seems to be a box problem that disable Lan solution.
    Update 2 : box problem confirmed. livebox play (or 3) dont deal with Nat loopback, wich created the connexion default. Any tips to get around this?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  11. Bailiff #3

Bailiff #3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Im really struggling to get access to my own server can people please help?
    I have a vodafone router and i have set up my server but want to be able to access it from my other pc which runs raceroom,

I have opened the ports and still cant see it. Is it worth just making sure my server is being viewed by my parents house?

Please help.

12. Bailiff #3

Bailiff #3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ALL SORTED!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bailiff #3

Bailiff #3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys, unfortunatly im getting a no response again from my own server, i can view it in the server list but cant join as it gets no response from server.

All ports are open on firewall and router so i dont understand and also i have the loop back adapter on the pc i am using within my own network.

Can someone please help.......

Regards

14. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Joining your own dedicated server is a issue we have here very often, so I thought it would be best to collect as many useful info into one giant article to help you guys with your specific problems!
    My former approach with the multiple IP addresses helped many users therefore I will point out some more details and thoughts below:

The scenario: You have your gaming PC and dedicated server app on separate machines. If you have issues with the server application installed on the gaming PC itself there is a similar solution in the last paragraph.

Warning: Do not use the well-known loopback adapter approach. It has some side effects which can prevent my solution from working here.

Disclaimer: a) Use at your own risk b) Networking theory is kept on a basic level in order to help end users here. Please do not nail me down on details but keep commenting and give feedback below.

Here we go...

Check 1: Are you able to join other foreign servers and drive there without any connection problems?
    Do not continue with further steps until this is ok!
    In case of issues you should use a network cable directly from your PC to your router (do not use WLAN, DLAN) or check the stability of your internet connection. A bandwidth of 3 Mbit upload should be sufficient for most cases.
    Tipp: Make sure your kids are not using up your whole bandwith with Netflix while you are trying to race. ;-)

Check 2: Can someone else from the internet join your server?
    Do not continue until this check works flawlessly! Joining by yourself will only work if this basic requirement is met!

a) If this is not working you might have a configuration issue with your internet router. You need port forwardings (socalled NAT; network address translation) set up on your router correctly. Which ports to use tells you the dedicated server webpage. It lists 3 ports after the headline. Be aware that they are tcp and udp protocol and need to be configured exactly as written there.
    For the first server you start it is: UDP: 60000 & 60002 and TCP: 60001
    Lookup the router manual, Youtube or Google on how to do that on your specific router.

b) If you use a 3rd party firewall application on your server machine, these ports need permission aswell.

c) Your provider might not provide you with a real public IPv4 address:
    IP addresses are getting short on global scope and therefore some providers are doing some tricks especially for their consumer products. Trick 1: they give you only a new IPv6 address and not a classical required IPv4 address anymore. (often in Germany) Trick 2: they put your router behind a router of their own and this is where the public IP address is. If you find a address between 100.64.x.y and 100.127.x.y in your router configuration, you are suffering this scenario because this is the registered range for that trick. However they tend to use other ranges aswell.
    You should check this page aswell: https://www.whatismyip.com because the listed IPv4 address should be the same one you see in your router configuration. If it is not identical you have a problem with your provider.
    Then you can only contact your ISP to fix it but they will propably deny your request or demand more money.

Still not working? Your router might not support NAT loopback (=Hairpin NAT)... most cases reported here
    Impacient? see TLDR further down
    This problem is model or even brand specific for your internet router.
    If you want to know details, here is some deep dive on that topic: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Hairpin_NAT
    You have two solutions:
    a) get another router
    b) set up a workaround trick so your PC sends the network packets directly to your server and not to the router in a first step. You need to take out the router in this connection.

Background Info: How does Raceroom establish dedicated server connections
    1) The dedicated server sends its configuration and status to the official Raceroom servers
    2) The official Raceroom servers know from the network connection what the source IP address and port of your server is and stores this info. (this is the public IP address of your router!)
    3) You run the game, select the multiplayer menu. The game gets all the data for the list from the official RR servers
    4) When connecting to the dedicated server your PC tries to establish a network connection exactly to that IP address and port which it received from the official RR servers.
    5) Your router cannot handle NAT loopback and now you are doomed.

TLDR -> Build a workaround:
    Our goal is to set up some tricks to prevent the network connection using your router. Instead the connection should be directly between PC and server. Therefore we are going to use additional addresses in your LAN to the onces you already have (in most cases starting with 192.168)
    Step 1) Your server and your PC needs to have 'static' IP addresses. That means you set them manually and they are not used dynamically given out by your router. Here is a tutorial for that: https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm
    Make sure both machines have internet access as usual after that and you can connect from your PC to the server (fileshare or remote desktop test).
    Step 2) With the Advanced button of the network setup window you can assign additional addresses to your network card.
    On your server you add your public IP address to the list. For the subnet mask you can set 255.255.255.0 (For those of you who know what subnet masks are you can set something more specific to prevent interfering with other public IP addresses)
    Step 3) On your PC you also set an additional address with the only exception that you change the last number of the public IP address (take one higher or lower)
    Here is a tutorial on how to do that:

Other scenario: Server application on gaming PC itself
    This is even easier than the workaround workflow but quite similar.
    Step 1) Setup a static IP address for your PC as described above. Check if internet is still working.
    Step 2) Add an additional IP Address like described above. Use the public IP address without any change and use the subnet mask 255.255.255.255. Ready!

Good luck, now you are ready to go!

15. Raiden

Raiden New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Is someone here who will help me to configure my router and Windows 10 so I can create R3E dedicated server?
    I have a FritzBox 7490
    And Windows 10 with no aditional Antivir or Firewall.
    I tried to configurate my Fritzbox with the ports. But it does not work.
    I can t join the server
    No one else can join my server

Ist hier jemand der mir bei der Konfiguration von den Ports helfen kann?
    Ich habe eine FritzBox 7490
    Ich habe versucht die Ports richtig ein zu stellen, aber ich bekomme es einfach nicht richtig hin.

Attached Files:

16. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hi Is the server visible on the multiplayer list; if so can others join, if they can; you need to install the Microsoft loopback adaptor, it is a simple bit of software; just install no configuration necessary

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...oft-loopback-adapter-in-microsoft-windows-ser

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Alfonso Cachón Sánchez

Alfonso Cachón Sánchez New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    For external access to dedicated server:
    The ports are open in the FritzBox ? 60001, 60002, ...
    These ports are nated to local ip address ? where the dedicated server are configured. I understand that you have been NAT.

For internal access from LAN:
    You must activate NAT Loopback option in the router. If this option dont exist in the router you do next:
    You must install the interface loopback adapter in Windows 10
    You must configure your public IP address in the interface loopback adapter in windows 10.

18. Raiden

Raiden New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @OldFart
    Yes, the server is visible on the multiplayer list, but others can't join.

@Alfonso Cachón Sánchez I hope so that the ports are open. But I don't know for sure, therefore I ask for help.
    I did the setings where the ports should be configured to open them. But I don't know where the problem can be, because my brother with which I normaly race on public servers tested, but got no response from my server.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The fact it is visible the out ports are open, for a test turn off all anti virus; and firewalls inc windows defender, then get your brother to try again, depending on the result of that we can move on

20. Raiden

Raiden New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @OldFart I have no antivirus installed, No additional firewall. In windows defender I have everything disabled.

If you want, I will do more screenshots to show you my settings if you tell me what to do.