Built-in radar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maskerader, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    A radar improves your awareness, especially if you're not very experienced in tight clean racing against other people. You can create a radar overlay for most sims out there, including R3E (>like this<). Even the purist paradise that is iRacing has radar apps, although they are more limited (>example<).

Regarding realism of the radar, yes, it's not realistic, but also fixed line of sight and like 40-90 degrees angle of view aren't realistic either: humans usually have a neck to turn their head and our eyes have angle of view of about 170 degrees. It makes a huge difference for spatial awareness and I think it's fine to compensate for that by using a radar.

Funny thing is we already - kinda - have a radar in the game. Track map shows your position and position of your opponents relative to the track limits. I zoomed in on the map, take a look. If we could only zoom in on it in the game, we'd have a working radar available out of the box (maybe also make the arrows more narrow). Anyway, everything you need for a radar is already there.

20210316181018_1.jpg

Resizing the map through the HUD setup mode doesn't help unfortunately, it doesn't change the scale of the map, only shows you more of it:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    Like @majuh said, the webhud is the best solution. It's opt-in because not everyone likes to drive with a radar, tyre information, tv tower etc etc

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Guys. I didn't ask where I can get a radar. My suggestion is making it available in the game without the need to install anything else. Available for everyone, not only those who are dedicated enough to go look for, install and setup all the additional stuff. We're on an R3E forum, not RF2.

I made this thread after a couple of comments in a discussion about ranked MP:
    It's this problem that the readily available radar is supposed to help fix, not my personal experience.

- Installing additional apps instead of having it available in the game is not the best, for sure.
    - Almost everything in our regular HUD can be turned on and off, means no advantage for Otterhud in that regard either.
    - Indeed, not everyone likes to have all that stuff, why would they install Otterhud then?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    While I agree it would be nice if OtterHud stuff was in the game itself, it's not like you have to install OtterHud or spend tons of time configuring it either, it's just about ticking a box in CrewChief and adding a launch parameter in Steam. It takes like 2 minutes to do.

6. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Well you have to know it exists (which probably rules out 90% of players already), have to find where to download it, then download it, add a launch parameter and open a file every time you start the game to get it running (or as you say link it with crew chief but that means installing even more additional stuff). Not to mention the performance hit that can come with running otterhub on certain systems..

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HiCkS

HiCkS Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    man I think its a great idea, if they can add a new map mode with a large zoom of the area you are in, thats it.
    Not sure if doing that has some technical difficulties but seems pretty easy feature to add

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    If a radar, then I think ACC does a very good job in implementing it without it getting to obstrusive, they took the idea from a former AC mod and then made it fading in and out when need comes and goes. However, I think the spotter callouts from the Crewchief App do a less immersion-breaking job and for the same effect. So, I see no priority in getting a RR radar. I do not stop them from doing it if they have too much time and get bored with themselves, but I do not need it, really.

Also, I prefer to have as many secondary displays in cockpit switched off as possible. They are distracting to me, may sometimes block vision, and break immersion. Playing in VR, I have become a bit puristic on these things.

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    The main reason why I even made this thread is that - at least on the surface level - it looks like they don't need much time for that at all. There might be some hidden issues, of course. If there are none, it's an easy and simple addition that might improve the quality of multiplayer. I believe it's worth looking into.

Me too. I only have the dash on my screen, sometimes a rear view mirror.

Maybe the thread came as if I simply want moooreee stuff and that's why alternative HUDs were mentioned, but that wasn't my point.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. albmarchi

albmarchi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really believe the radar should be in-game and mandatory for everyone. OIn multiplayer races, I get hit on the side by drievrs that are obviously NOT aware that I'm on their side. This ruins a lot the race. It happens very ofter. I really think that the "mandatory radar" should be the main feature to be implemented in the near future....

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Or use CrewChief. :D

12. albmarchi

albmarchi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't understand my point: I know there are external apps that show the radar. I have one of them.
    What I say is that a lot of people either don't know how to install them or that they even exists, or they think "I do not need it". My point is that the app should me in-game and enabled by default and mandatory at least in multiplayer.
    It's absence is really ruining a lot of races...

13. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Why should it be mandatory? In real life, you don't have a radar either.

14. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I do not agree. It should be your own choice if you want to use it or not.
    Where does it stop? Brake assist on because less experienced drivers break to late or to early?

15. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Mandatory? No.

But I agree the standard HUD should be updated with radar and a few other features. External apps are all well and good but the vanilla game really should have this sort of thing for new players or those that don't frequent forums and the like.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. albmarchi

albmarchi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that some of you may be not ok with the "mandatory" part... but there is no need to compare with real life... it's a game, a lot of things are different from real life, including space awareness. Comparing with other helps like brake assistance or traction control is out of context.. the radar avoid stupid crashes for people who has no way to see someone is on the side... ok, you have the mirror, but you could have not seen it, or maybe the car is not in the mirror anymore, but not on the side...

In any case, I really believe that it should be on by default.... maybe not mandatory, but still... you all get my point :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    But in real life our eyes work better than a single monitor. If we have limitations because it's a game, it's reasonable to have some improvements that compensate for that. Like, for example, FFB that simulates forces that aren't present on the steering wheel in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The otterhub makes my fps tank, so I'm using a radar overlay in simhub which is awesome. But the best one is still helicorsa in acc which fades away when no one is near. I agree radar should be in game by default. Would make racing side by side a better experience for everyone

• Like Like x 1
  19. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I do agree that there should be more essential aids in game. Radar being on of them.
    Second thing is providing more info/knowlegde ingame, easily accessible.

I don't agree with making any aid mandatory. It is possible to know what happens around you without radar.
    We've been racing without it for years without issues.
    On the other side there are people that just don't care and they will ram you with or without the radar.

Clear rules for racing online, education and some form of enforcing those rules is the only way to have decent online racing.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    For example?