VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've heard about the time progression setting before but as I mostly race in multiplayer I haven't experimented with it too much. After a bit of searching in relation to AMD/DX9 performance I've stumbled across a solution called DXVK which appears to be a Vulkan translator for DX9 - I have no idea if this will even run (especially in VR) or if it will give a performance boost but I'll give that a try and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    @TanHammer , to answer your question about asw, I just have it set to auto and it sticks at 40fps. I tried disabled but it just goes to about 50-60 and is a stuttery mess.
    Thanks for the info @Thomas Jansen, it does seem to be looking like more of an AMD gpu driver issue. Seems strange though as gpu usage(% and clock speed) does scale up with higher detail settings.

Some input from the community on this would be great, anyone out there using an AMD GPU and able to maintain 80fps on medium settings?

3. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for confirming - I tried ASW again last night and I just can't gel with it no matter what I try. I also tried to run the DXVK Vulakn wrapper with no luck so I'm not sure if that's an option.
    I do have an older GTX970 lying around I might throw in to test the theory that the AMD drivers/DX9 is the main issue.

4. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    So apparently people got AMD FSR working for DCS in VR: https://forums.mudspike.com/t/openvr-fsr/12743

I don't know much about this stuff, so I have no idea if dx11 is a hard requirement for it, it definitely didn't work in RR or ACC. the .dll works when turning FSR off in the .cfg, but then it's a bit pointless hehe. If this could be adapted to simracing titles as well that would be an amazing boost to performance, maybe one for @The Iron Wolf ? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yea that requires the game to use DX11, if it did we likely wouldn't have any issues in the first place! :D

6. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr/releases now works with ACC, only tested it quickly but definitely got slightly better frametimes. the .dll now also works with RR, but did not notice any difference in frametimes yet, so it may just not be doing anything, still interesting for further testing :p

7. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice development, I don't use SteamVR for ACC as I have a Rift S but it would be great if helps with RR, I'll give it a shot. Does it work in conjunction with Open Composite or did you have to revert back to SteamVR?

edit: Found some other possibly useful info for Oculus users, essentially changing Mirror FOV Multiplier in OTT to slightly reduce FOV in the headset/desktop mirror which in theory improves performance. It's originally from a user on the MSFS fourm - https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tnt-quest-2-settings-sharp-and-smooooth/367530
    Not sure if it will help with RR but I'll also try it out.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  8. Pedro Garrido

Pedro Garrido New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Buenas chicos, una pregunta. El supersampling con unas oculus rift s donde lo aplico ??? Con los parametros en el juego de -vr .. , en oculus tray tools, o en steam vr??? Es que estoy hecho un lio. Gracias

9. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Utilizo Oculus Tray Tool y funciona. Es posible que deba reiniciar el software del juego / Oculus cada vez después de cambiar la configuración para que se aplique correctamente. (Lo siento traducción aproximada de Google)

10. Viktor Janeba

Viktor Janeba New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh. Here I am, with i9 10900k, 3090, 32GB 4000MHz CL16 RAM and Valve Index not being able to get stable framerates higher than 80Hz.

By the way, one question. Does the engine use DX10 as a transport layer or whatever for VR, or is it all DX9 and just openVR api?

11. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think it's all DX9. I'm not sure what's going on with the VR performance in this sim, your setup should be able to achieve 120Hz if @Thomas Jansen was able to with his. Are you using Open Composite or SteamVR?

12. Viktor Janeba

Viktor Janeba New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SteamVR... I am on an Index.
    GPU is slacking, but CPU gets hammered. I am fighting with lags when webhud/otterhud is enabled. Lowest resolution, SS at puny 150.

13. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yea because of the older engine it's hammering your CPU on single thread. I don't use Otterhud in VR as I'm led to believe that adds to the problem.
    I've managed to find settings that seem to give me 80Hz on a Rift S pretty consistently but it's still dependant on the track - I'm using a 5700XT/5600X. I would persist trying different graphics setings because the driving experience is worth it in this sim (above others imo)
    However it still doesn't explain how Thomas was able to achieve 120Hz on his hardware way back when. In a previous reply he mentioned he was using a 1080ti which could be more compatible with DX9 hence his better perfomance but you've also got an NVIDIA card so I'm not sure - hopefully we will get some optimisations in future.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Nice try, Thomas :)

Also guys, checkout this: https://github.com/retroluxfilm/reshade-vrtoolkit

It works very well with game I am playing nowadays and author is very enthusiastic and responsive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for linking that but it says under current issues that it crashes with RaceRoom. Maybe they will fix that since they're aware of it. I wonder if this would also require running native SteamVR instead of Open Composite which would likely bring less performance to Oculus users but might be good for other headsets.

16. Darkenend

Darkenend New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I uh, seem to be finding issues trying to run Open Composite, it just plain crashes when trying to launch it, anyone faced the same problem?

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Yes. It was so long ago that I can't remember the exact fix, but I believe it was adding/changing something in the config file. My opencomposite.ini looks like this:

supersampleRatio=1.0
    enableLayers=true
    enableCubemap=false
    threePartSubmit=true
    useViewportStencil=true
    dx10Mode=true

18. Darkenend

Darkenend New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Using yours it's now running! But not much of a difference, to be honest. It's still chugging on my Ryzen 2700, the game is borderline unplayable on VR.

19. Competi

Competi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Buenos días, soy nuevo por aquí, tuve algunos problemas al lanzar la sala de carreras, una vez jugaba perfecto pero cuando el juego pasaba los menús con mucho lag incluso me sacaba del juego. Probé la configuración opencompo y la verdad es que muy bien, va mejor incluso creo que mejor rendimiento, ahora mi pregunta es, antes usaba Steam fpsVR para ver la información de mi pc en las gafas pero ahora no arranca, ¿Cómo puedo hacerlo? ¿Ves en la RV dicha información? ¿Temperatura de FPS, etc.? Muchas gracias y saludos. Pd: mi equipo es: AMD Ryzen 5 3.600 16GB ddr4 3200 MSI 1070ti.

20. Random Seed

Random Seed New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me ask this here to see if anyone has had this issue. I've had RR running in VR just fine, have been playing in flat, and now going back to the game in VR, I can't get past the initial screen. The first screen loads that shows the build number, the menu music starts playing and the button I have assigned to recenter the screen works, but it just never loads past this, or shows the press any key to continue message. I go back to flat, and it works.

I've tried the release and beta versions of Steam VR and WMR for Steam VR, deleted the video config files for the game, tried loading the game first, Steam VR first then the game, deleted files and verified the game, and it won't let me get past that first screen. Kinda a head-scratcher. I just want to see if anyone had this before I delete config files (and have to redo everything), and/or reinstall the entire game.