FR US @ Mid Ohio Full - Slower than Standard

Discussion in 'Car setups library' started by Nico Kunze, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Always felt the downforce of the fr us was a bit too much but decided to wait for a physics update first. Now that its received one and i still find the car a bit too fast/grippy ive started playing around with the setup in an attempt to slow the car down a bit and maybe bring it closer to what id imagine a real life indycar to be like. So first i put on the hard tires and took off some wing and rake to just slow it down in the higher speed corners. Then i tried a few things to get it just a little more oversteery in the slower corners.
    Camber and pressures should be reasonable (so not in a way that would purposefully slow the car down) and the fuel should be good for 15 laps.
    Im still not quite where id like it to be but feel like ive definitely gotten closer to my goal. If anyone tries the setup let me know if you agree on that or if ive just driven for so long now that placebo has taken over :D

Attached Files:

2. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    in 2016 IRL Quali times Mid-ohio 01:03.8700. Why do you think the FRUS is too fast? You drove faster? As far as I understand the FRUS is based on the 2016 regulations, they had a lot of downforce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    To be fair my perception is probably a little skewed by the fact that i never watch qualifying in indycar (except for the indy 500 but thats a little different :D). But even then take this lap from 2015 for example:

Should be a mid 1:04 but it just seems to produce the time in a different way. Turn 1 is a massive lift whereas on the default setup in r3e its easily flat..(now if 2015 to 2016 brought major aero upgrades then i guess you may well be right but i still prefer driving my setup ;D)

But after driving again yesterday ive come to the conclusion that ive actually not done much slowing down with this setup. The lost lap time is just down to the hard vs soft tires. But maybe its still a little more oversteery than the default

4. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    @bearr also just looked around a bit more and looks like mid ohio might rather be an exception. At road america the current leaderboard p1 is a 1:38 while pole in indycar was 1:42, watkins glen 1:19 in r3e vs 1:22 in real life and even more extreme laguna seca 1:02 in r3e vs 1:10 in real life (only from 2019 onwards but times generally still are very similar to 2016 on other tracks). So maybe my feeling of too fast/too much aero is right afterall (when comparing to an indycar. Officially the fr us is a fictional car of course and can therefore have whatever characteristics the developers want it to have)

• Like Like x 1
  5. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    It is not correct to compare times 2019 and 2016 aero is very different. Mid ohio 2016 1,03,8 vs 2019 1,05,2. We cannot correctly compare the Laguna as it was not there in 2016. Also in Leaderboards ideal conditions(tire temps and pressure). And you right FRUS this is not Licensed Indycar 2016.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  6. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    For most tracks i checked current cars are 1.x seconds slower than 2016. Lets say the ideal tire temperatures give you another 0.5s, then youre still at a 6 second difference at laguna seca (which to be fair is an extreme case but still).
    But im starting to feel like its probably best to agree to disagree :D

7. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I ran tests FRUS on Sonoma IRL. 2016 Quali irl - 1.16.2; my times 1.13.1(Quali session). I think the FRUS is too fast. Mechanical and aero grip feels overpriced.

8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Well that was a sudden change of mind :D
    But to be fair i think the layout is slightly different from what was used in indycar. The official track length matches but the final right hander seems to be in a different place

9. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My previous test was in Ohio, where I could not do "irl quali times". Perhaps the level of grip of the tracks in the RRE is not accurate.

10. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Might play into it but i still dont think it would account for all of the differences

11. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... my Sonoma comparison doesn't make sense.:D The last turn is very different in 2016 IRL

12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    ;)
    But yeah, seems difficult to really come to a proper conclusion. Would be nice if there were onboards for all pole laps of 2016, thatd make the whole thing a lot easier :D

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I wonder why it's like that. This is the layout they used in at least 2012, 2016 and 2018 (these ones I checked on actual race replays):
    SonomaIndy12.56e01c10eb72b80c2caea212e5168223.png
    Instead we have a layout that has Turn 7 like in 2012 version, but Turn 11 (and probably turn 9A) like in the previous one, 2008 version:
    SonomaIndy08.56e01c10eb72b80c2caea212e5168223.png
    How did we end up with a layout that was probably never used in real life?

Funny thing is, the track in the game even has the marks for T11B on the tarmac and you can use it, the grip seems okay:
    sonoma-t11.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  14. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    And the layout thumbnail shows 2008 version instead of what's in the game:
    sonoma-irl-layout.jpg

Would be good to have it all fixed... Can someone report this, uhm... bug? :D

• Agree Agree x 1