VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Since today I have a new weird issue in VR - When I click on any menu with my mouse, the menubutton lights up quickly, like it normally does when you click on it, but nothing happens. I have to click a couple of times quickly in a row before a button actually is being selected. Didn't change anything to my setup, restarted my pc just in case something else was conflicting but this issue stays :-/

2. zakhar18

zakhar18 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am getting an Oculus Rift S today. It will be my first VR device. I only plan on playing Raceroom with it. Should I plan on doing this mod, or is Steam VR is a good enough state?

I have an i5-8600K and a 1070TI with 32GB of memory.

3. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can not get from car back to menu while in VR.

The keymapping "back" does not work anymore. I had and have it mapped to my Fanatec CSL.
    This is very annoying.
    Can somebody please help me?
    I have still trouble to get into RR with my Hp Reverb G2 and Fanatec CSL.
    --
    HP reverb G2

4. Krzysztof

Krzysztof New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone.
    I have a Pimax 5K + with 2080Ti graphics, all settings are almost at the minimum to reach 90 fps.
    I wanted to ask if AMD Fidelity FX - openvr fsr v1.1 works in Race Room Expirence?
    Where are the files I should replace?
    Alternatively, what can I do to enjoy better graphics in this game, or is it rather impossible?
    Thank you for your help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. [N2O] Smoicol

[N2O] Smoicol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a championship race, in the session change the vr had no more images and you could only hear the audio, the same thing happened to my partner after a few seconds, I use a g2.

6. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone use a Quest2 here?

I'm looking to move on from my CV1, and the Quest2 seems like a good stop-gap until full-fat headsets settle in a few years time (along with availability on GFX cards..). While sim racing is where it'd get the most use, I also like the wireless ability of it for other odds and ends.

One concern is performance.. I'm treading a very fine line atm with performance in RRE, and have things dialed in very precisely to maintain a solid 90fps with decent visuals. I'm assuming the massive res increase is going to cock that up somewhat, as I don't think I have much in the way of overhead..

Another mild concern is the link cable.. How do you find that?

7. jacobwallace

jacobwallace New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How to get the most out of your PC's VR performance
    1. Make sure your case is clean.
    2. Upgrade your operating system.
    3. Update the drivers for your graphics device.
    4. Defragment and purge your hard disc.
    5. On your SSD, enable TRIM.
    6. Use GeForce or AMD programmes to optimise your graphics hardware.
    7. Alter your energy strategy.
    8. Modify the file for your virtual memory page.

8. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I have a fresh OS install, so I have to set up everything from zero now, I can't seem to find the 'Lock to horizon' option in the new menus, but I'm pretty sure RR had that functionality. Can someone help me out?

Edit: Ah nevermind, I found it, Pitch and Roll lag to 100%

9. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Quest 2 user here.
    Moved from a Rift CV1 to the Quest half a year ago. Regarding price-performance this is a no-brainer. Of course you have got FB behind all this and I can understand if that’s dealbreaker for some.

I noticed that I had to turn some settings in sims down a bit because the resolution in the Quest 2 is much higher. However it is not that bad, still everything looks good and runs smooth and the new clarity is highly appreciated. Personally I often run the Quest 2 in 72Hz mode and see no problems with that, the frames / pictures are still smooth imo.

Regarding the cable: I got a non-official cable via Amazon which works just fine. Just have a look online, there are many cables for half the price to be found. Lately I’ve also been using AirLink more often and this works without any issues yet. Especially for games like Half Life Alyx it is much better than having the cable around your head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How do i get rid of the gray screen of death when i enter options while on track?

11. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Ik bezit de NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, kan ik daar ook de bovenstaande settings voor instellen?
    En weet jij toevallig of dit ergens terug te vinden is in een tekstbestandje?
    Want je kunt met raceroom volgens mij niet 2 bepaalde video settings opslaan, als alternatief zou ik dus wel twee files kunnen maken

12. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yes probably.

In this folder: %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData
    there is a graphics configuration file you can copy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vvPULSEvv

vvPULSEvv Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've been running on Q2 for almost a year now, and one thing I've noticed that affects smoothness is mirror quality, but it's opposite of what you'd think. If I run mirror quality on low, the sim is slightly jittery (like skipping frames as it does in the mirror), although fps stays locked at 90 and doesn't budge. Turning the quality up to high resolves that completely.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Flow

Flow Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom runs silky smooth on Reverb G2.

15. Davizmg

Davizmg New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes ..without shadows and 60hz, and settings on low/medium and nothing of supersampling.
    Pd:Im on 9900k 5.3ghz without HT and a 3090.
    We need a dx upgrade

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Wow - and I thought (some day) upgrading from my RX6800 to a RTX3090 would significantly improve performance :eek:

18. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, unfortunately CPU performance is an equally limiting factor in VR, especially in RR. Single thread CPU performance is equally important to GPU capabilities.

19. Schmelge

Schmelge Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    5900x
    6800xt
    MP600 M.2
    3200 mzh 32 gb ram
    Valve index.

VR is only playable with less than 10 cars and graphics down in the lowest. RR looks like a ps1 game for me.

Funny thing for me is if I set SteamVR to 90 Hz and lock it to 45 fps I get massive flickering and screen tearing.

Its a shame because if I can just have a smooth 45 fps I can up the graphics and make it look really good.

I dont understand why the headset behaves like that when locking to 45 fps?

Regardless. RR imo need to focus ALOT more energy on optimizing its VR experience. It's hands down the best sim on the market when it comes to everything else. It just massively lacks vr performance

• Like Like x 2
  20. Baldi

Baldi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, but it looks like the last patch made some changes so that OpenOVR isn't working anymore. The game won't start anymore with the dll in place. The error is: "Failed to create libOVR session.: -1007". Does anyone have a solution for this? I can't use SteamVR because it's a slide show...