VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    For me, RRE with OpenOVR still works the same as before the last update. I still use the old Rift CV1.

2. Baldi

Baldi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're right. I just reset to the original dll, redownloaded the OpenOVR one, and it works again. Weird, maybe the dll got corrupted somehow.

3. Stoney268

Stoney268 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wondering the same too. I have the Samsung odessey plus and although it works its acting weird. When checking with fpsVR the GPU is doing nothing and CPU is high. Switching between reprojecting modes doesnt seem to make any difference.

4. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    looks like Raceroom is on hold since a while, I guess they have to sort out something with simbin? I curios what the future will be for Raceroom

5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I don't really understand why I'm having these performance issues lately. Those graphics settings which have been working completely fine for years are now suddenly causing heavy stuttering for me, especially in multiplayer. It's strange, because it seemed like the GPU-based web layer rendering solved my issues with otterHUD, but then yesterday I took part in a league race at Macau and I had massive stuttering all the way through. What's odd about it is that fpsVR still shows constant 80 frames per second, but the picture itself isn't continuous. The only difference is that I have recorded my screen with OBS, but I'm using NVENC, so it shouldn't have a significant impact. I'll do some more testing later I guess.

6. djrace

djrace New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HI, i have problem after update 0.9.3.089. I haven't projection on HP Reverb 2 and on the monitor can see only a small window with game.

7. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Have you modified the game's Nvidia profile by any chance? I had the same issue when I tried to override the AA settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

8. djrace

djrace New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have default settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Last time worked fine.

9. AndreasAUT

AndreasAUT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I drove with my 3700x, 32gb DDR4 ram and my GTX1070 with lowered settings in VR, its was possible and good for me.

Now my only upgrade was from the GTX1070 to an AMD 6900XT and VR racing in RR is a diashow, but only as soon as other drivers are around me ( multiplayer, racing vs AI isnt that bad ).
    FPS VR shows me that my CPU frametime was jumping like crazy ( average fps 75 ). I tried so many times with different settings, I even LOWERED the graphic details but as soon as other drivers are around, its a freaking diashow, horrible stutter, no way to do a race.
    So i tried a different, modern Simtitle and even without tweaking around in the setup, it was a difference like night and day.

So there is only one more thing I wanna test: can I lock the ingame FPS to 60 somewhere?

It is super frustrating when you upgrade your hardware and then you cant drive anymore because the performance crashed hardly.

10. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    @AndreasAUT So assuming from your comment, you aren't using RR with the same settings as before, right? Unfortunately, RR cannot really utilize a more modern GPU at the moment. I have the same CPU as you and that is your limiting factor in VR unfortunately, the 3700X has average single core performance by today's standards. My advice is the same as before: Set the 'Shadows' option to 'Lowest' or even 'Off' if you can tolerate it, Shaders to 'Medium' or 'Low', MSAA to '4x' or '2x' and 'Visible Cars' to 20-18. Then crank up the supersampling to at least 130-150% and you should be good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AndreasAUT

AndreasAUT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @Balrog Hi Balrog, thx for the reply.
    Yeah you are correct, i changed the gpu but at the beginning, i havent changed anything in RR settings.
    I went to 200 SteamVR SS now and it looks way better, but also when i only do these challenges ( me alone vs time ), cpu spikeframes are heavily increased when you enter the start / finish line in for excample Monza. As soon as I pass this section, everything is more or less "normal" again. This is reproduceable btw and I think about doing a video of this problem.

So this problem occurs:
    - passing the pit lane
    - driving with other racers

Except from that, RR is doing fine. Ah and i forgot to mention the 32 bit version of RR works for me again ( last time, it kept that loadingscreen forever ) and the 32bit Version runs better than the 64 bit version.
    I´ll keep trying to search for the problem since RR is my most fav sim.

12. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that is my experience as well, when there are more cars around you, the FPS does not remain consistent, so in the pitlane, at the start and etc. The Car LOD distance and Visible cars settings can help a bit there, but I wouldn't recommend going under 18 with visible opponents, because that can led to blinking opponents near you in certain situations.

13. AndreasAUT

AndreasAUT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ´well the pit lane is empty in the challenge, no other cars there. Maybe RR is trying to fetch data there? ( check if other cars are there, times...? ) I think only the programmers will know for sure but maybe this info helps to eliminate "unneeded" stress to the sim?

14. AndreasAUT

AndreasAUT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok, update, while testing in challenge mode, RR quit byself ( like it did in the past ). Now i tried a rookie race to test again and guess what, RR quit byself.
    The only entry i found in the windows event display was that Microsoft Windows security did successfully monitor something.

However, since this looks like an endless pit of troubles, I dont want to keep on with this ( since there isnt much reply comming from Devs ).
    Thx for the time and see you.

15. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Habt ihr einen Trick, wie ich als WMR Nutzer Raceroom ohne WMR controller starten kann?

Ich habe meine VR Brille an einem Stromstecker, den ich via Windows oder Android steuern kann, und wenn ich so die Brille einschalte, wird WMR Portal? und SteamVR gestartet.
    CrewChief und SecondMonitor starte ich aktuell noch via GameCrew Programm, aber ich werde vielleicht mir eine AutoHotKey Starthilfe als Script anlegen und diese zur .exe konvertieren. Diese könnte ich wahrscheinlich im WMR Portal auswählen.
    Nur das würde ich gern ohne immer die Controller herausholen zu müssen und diese anzumachen... .)
    Bin halt ein fauler Hund.

16. Alex_76

Alex_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Low/medium mirrors seem to be causing stuttering in VR, at least with oculus and opencomposite

Only tested a Quest 2 with opencomposite but after much frustration trying to get a smooth VR experience the counterintuitive solution has been to set mirrors to high.

With mirrors set to low or medium performance continuously headroom flicks between +20-30% to minus figures and when the framerate dips into ASW it's very choppy. With mirrors on high the performance headroom doesn't do that and when the framerate dips into ASW it stays smooth.

There seems to be some sort of incompatibility between the reduced framerate of the mirrors in lower mirror settings and oculus ASW.

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Works fine for me on both low/medium mirror settings, and I have ASW permanently active on my Rift S while using R3E. Smooth as silk, no stutters at all.

18. Ernesto Aides

Ernesto Aides New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that this is a very old thread, but anyway:
    There is a mention of some server/services that can be put inside a text file to be loaded with the -f parameter of the debugtoolcli
    Where can I find a complete and updated list of all server commands and services that can be used?
    For example, you mention in some PPDO.txt the server:DisableUsbPowerMgmt bit I don't see it when you invoke "hep" inside the oculus-debugtoolCLI
    Also, the same help than not show any of the services that can be set, like set-pixels-per-display-pixel-override or set-use-fov-stencil, etc
    Thanks in advance

19. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have on-hand VR experience with the latest gen Intel processors (12000 series)? On paper, they look really promising for gaming.

20. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    what ever you take, its still RaceRoom, brute force VR. But still looks way better than ACC, what a blurry mess. AC looks and performs well with the content manager

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022