Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoccoTTS, May 25, 2019.

1. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hehe you are either trolling or dont know what you are talking about.
    All 3 sensitivity settings does work.
    But not as "sensitivity" settings but as a way to change the law the 3 input devices does move their virtual counterparts.
    0 = soft start + hard end.
    50 = linear
    100 = Hard start + soft end.

No effect! :p

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    On a keyboard?

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Ah, yes, my bad.

He's talking about keyboard. I just tested, they don't work for keyboard. Or maybe they do, but their effect is unnoticeable, 10 or 100 looks and feels the same.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    How did you like the Mp4/1?

5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I brought some numbers to have a bit of perspective.

In AMS2 on damping 100 it takes 0.53 seconds to steer from straight to lock. For 14 degrees lock that's 38 ms per one degree. For 18 degrees lock (there are car like that too - Formula Vee for example), that would be 30 ms per one degree.

In Raceroom on default settings it takes 0.4 seconds to steer from straight to lock. 8 degrees default lock, that's 50 ms per one degree. So, steering in AMS2, even on the slowest settings, is not only faster than Raceroom defaults (which are already too fast for me), it also steers for almost twice a bigger angle. That's why I'm having so much issue with it...

Yeah, that one has surprisingly slow reactions to steering.

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Interesting comparison but you are still assuming the degree figures are accurate. I maintain that if 8 degree lock were a true figure, the car would not make any tight turn. Porsche rear wheel steering is already 2.8 degrees.

I will try this out at the weekend by taking the same car in both games and doing a complete U turn on the same track with 14 degrees lock as I can´t see how else to compare them.

As I said before, in AMS2 each car has different steering response times - which did you use to measure? For sure the Mp4 is slower than the BMW GT4 or 911 GT3.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    How tight are we talking about? Nurb GP's first corner has an outer radius of 25 meters. Taking an outside-inside-outside line can extend this radius beyond 30 meters. Hockenheim's second hairpin is tighter, 20 m outer radius which you can only extend slightly, to 23 m maybe. Corolla (just a regular, road one) has a turning radius of 5 meters. It looks like there's a ton of room on racing tracks, compared to regular roads around us.

I also measured a couple of extreme cases. Monaco hairpin - 13 meters, Macau hairpin - 11 meters.

I decided to try it too (the cars were M6, M4 and M1) and the results were basically the same.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it´s no coincidence the tightest turns are on street circuits or older semi permanent tracks like Nordschleife/Spa. Apart from Hockenheim, I think the tightest turns on permanent tracks are at Aragón and Shanghai in RRE and Cadwell and Estoril in AMS2. I need more than minimum lock to negotiate them cleanly.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Are you guys both keyboard players or is this just "for science"?

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I am.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I have a wheel too but I mostly prefer keyboard for convenience reasons.

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So, after quite a bit of testing, I am sticking with speed sensitivity 85 and damping 95, lock 14 as optimum settings.

Some cars will be too unresponsive and others will still be twitchy but that´s the way the game is at the moment. Lock 14 an AMS2 is indeed more than lock 8 in RRE but I am still not convinced that 8 is a real lock figure, it just seems too little.

13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I also tested rFactor 2, same results as in R3E and AMS2.

ACC was more complicated because it doesn't show you steering lock value, but there are other numbers you can use to calculated it - the turning radius was bigger. I don't know the reasons for that but I think it's ACC's fault because there was also a noticeable inconsistency between cars that should, according to numbers, have the same results.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  14. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Too much steering lock angle=car too unresponsive, too little steering lock angle=car too twitchy/hard to control :)

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I doubt that's the reason...

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I believe he means wheel turning radius - that would make sense as 240 degrees makes response much more direct than 720, for instance.

Regarding steering lock from the actual front wheels, I have done a lot of testing and would now say that in terms of lap times; 9 is the best for most RRE tracks and I am now settled at 15 or 16 in AMS2 with 95 speed sensitivity and 70 damping. I can do 1.25s at Cadwell in all the GT3s. More damping is equivalent to more turning radius on a wheel and then it is too hard to catch slides or go through chicane as the lock to lock speed is too slow. With closer to 100/100 sensitivity/damping, I can´t get into the 1.26s and the hairpin is a challenge.

Again YMMV depending on the car and that´s something Reiza really need to look into.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I interpreted his words like that. Still it's not the case, cars with the same lock behave differently (I have an impression that a lot depends on where the engine is located, i.e. front engine cars are more twitchy on steering).

Not to mention that it's impossible to get "too little steering lock" in AMS2...

18. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista 2 | CADILLAC DPi-V.R | Daytona Road Course

• Like Like x 1
  19. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  20. heppsan