SETUP PACK Moritz Löhner - DTM Esports

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Moritz Löhner, May 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

After quite the successful DTM Esports season and for the first time with open setup I want to share my setups with you guys.
    This is a collective work with influence into the setups by all Dörr Esports drivers!

Tracks included:
    Imola GP
    Norisring
    Lausitzring Oval T1
    Spa-Francorchamps
    Red Bull Ring
    Portimao GP

Notes:
    - all tire pressures are for qualifying fuel load, you have to adjust them slightly if you put in more fuel. Perfect tire pressure is 180 kPa hot.
    - third setup page on the Imola setup is the same for every other track as well
    - I always drove with TC off
    - default brake bias
    - BMW M6 GT3 setups, some tweaks might work for other cars as well but generally this is M6 only
    - screenshots because setup files from the esports cars wouldn't work for you

I hope it helps you understand setups better and get you up on pace for your next league race!
    Join my Discord to get the pack!

https://discord.gg/ezwBVFhtQx

• Like x 7
    • Wonderful x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    First, thanks for sharing your winning setups. I never seen before setups from top level drivers. Really nice to get a glimpse of magnitude of changes done.

Now talking about magnitude of changes...this is amazing how far your changes go from the default setup. I usually makes lot of changes in setups, but man...your changes are so large that i never went this far.
    I guess its specific to GT3 class cars which are less sensitive to setup changes, so it require drastic changes to make a difference.

3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I think it says a lot about how off the default setups are. I can understand them being safer with understeer tendency for novice drivers but having to raise ride height regardless of track and despite stiffer damping confirms that a lot of cars are sitting too low and grounding.

I was doing the Monza premium and there it was the same, you needed full ride height to get the lap time in, because of the sausage kerbs, which is counter intuitive on a track where drag is key.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    But you shouldn't really be running on the sausage kerbs. I'll put in a request for more damage from them.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The problem is more with the cut detection as you want the kerb going under the chassis between the wheels not the wheels over the kerb. At Aragón they can launch you into the sky faster than you can say NASA.

The other thing I´ve seen a lot of people using and have also adopted is extreme camber - the tradeoff between cornering grip and linear traction plus tyre wear seems to favour the first option, especially at the front end. I need less camber and higher TC values, for sure. Driving with TC off on these cars is impossible for me.

It´s maybe unfair to call these exploits - like extreme toe in or tyre pressures but I wonder how representative they are of real life values. Polar opposite soft springs and hard dampers also go against the game´s own setup recommendations.

6. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    The GT3 cars never ground (not talking about going over kerbs). even with soft springs/dampers and the lowest ride height possible. With other cars its possible but then u cant miss it - u can clearly hear it scraping the ground.
    The reason Moritz using higher ride height in front is, in my opinion, to get more suspension travel when front under load (trail braking for example) and it probably felt better and faster.

I think i had this with the Corvette - higher front gave better steering under load on some tracks

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    You could raise front height to lower the rake and get more top speed but at the cost of downforce or just lower the rear.

However, the Esports setups tend to raise both front and rear. Grounding definitely happens at the Ring and quite a few other like Sachsenring, Sonoma, Macau, Spa and Blisterberg plus the ovals - front splitter is the hitter. I think the Vette C7 has higher minimum ride than the BMW but not sure.

The ride height issue is also prevalent on the single seater cars - the custom setups run higher ride height to maintain underbody aero.

Sometimes though, it seems there is no rational explanation, certain settings just give better lap times.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  8. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    1. For rake setting - the rear height is used to do that, not the front.
    2. Grounding with GT3s in these tracks ? i never experienced that...
    3. Yes, single seaters and DTM2020 are the ones that can scrap the ground easily.
    4. Agree, but its probably also depends on suspension geometry, roll-center and stuff like that, which is impossible for us to asses...so feeling and delta-timing is the only tool.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, didn't try those setups yet, but from my experience with the DTM Ferrari, raising the front by 1 cm helped a LOT on the Nordschleife. The car started steering better, there's more stability over bumps also. Perhaps this has to do with the amount of air that goes underneath the car and generates downforce due to the way the floor is shaped - more air underneath can sometimes mean more downforce in real cars. Not sure if raceroom simulates this though, but it seems to be the case.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I think so too, plus you should get more suspension travel, making the car more compliant and you can ride the higher kerbs a bit better too.

This was discussed already in the DTM 2020 thread and also for the Astra TC, which if I remember well had a very low front splitter so it was bottoming out even though it is not an aero car. That´s why I don´t get that on so many cars, default front ride height is the minimum value unless it is intentional to make people do setup work - but then those cars are bad in fixed setup lobbies.

11. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    It's definitely grounding why we raised the front especially. Rear is only for rake difference, making it rotate better or have more grip out of slower turns.
    A smaller reason was also suspension travel yes, for going over curbs better for example on Imola.
    Lausitzring it was definitely ground clearance though as you would've scraped in T1 and lose a lot of grip.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Good of you to share @Moritz Löhner.

I see nothing odd or unexpected either in your setups or anything discussed here. Only that our track limits reward a car that can run hard over sausage curbs, so it makes sense to set up to be able to use them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. turboslayer

turboslayer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my brain hurts when i look at setup

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  14. rui martins

rui martins New Member

Ratings: