VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. caparrozhc

caparrozhc New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, there.

First trying RR since 2016 I believe.

I'm maxed out with 1.2upscaled on a Odyssey+ with 24 cars. 3800X with 4000mt cl16 RAM / 2070 bios hacked.

2. Enagee

Enagee New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've deiced to give RR a go and it's amazing ......but am not getting great performance in VR.
    Am pretty much got all settings on low and steam per application SS is down to 70% and only just at 90fps, general fps is 65-90 fps.
    AMS2 , Iracing, AC are pretty much locked to 90fps....

Can anyone with an HP Reverb help?

Currently running I5-12600K with 3070ti

3. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You can try Motion smoothing. It works really good in Raceroom. I don’t know why. In other Sims it’s terrible.

4. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    with that hardware you should get 90 fps, I have a 8700k and 2080 ti and I get 90 fps. I use 100% scaling with my valve index
    did you turn shadows down? not nice but when off you will get 90 fps for sure. No AA, no reflections, shadow split off. Basically everything that is written on page 1

5. AndreasAUT

AndreasAUT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thx for this instruction and thx for Felthat pointing me to this thread.
    I tried it today on 06.06.22 and it works flawless with my quest 2. I never had a better picture quality in VR before than after using this.
    Thx guys !!!!

6. tabs

tabs New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At a bit of a loss here. I'm getting performance ranging from low 50's to 85 fps or so using the settings outlined on page 1.
    As a Valve Index user am I able to use Open Composite to help with this? If so... how?

specs: 10900K, 32GB 3600, 3080Ti

Heavily modded Assetto Corsa at night in the rain runs at a locked 90, as does AMS2. I understand these comparisons aren't all that relevant, just wanted to be clear that the system is otherwise performing fine.

Even if I could get the lows to be above 60 I'd be somewhat happy locking the framerate to that.

7. tennenbaum

tennenbaum New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to sharpen the VR picture. I tried fholger's VRperfkit and retroluxfilm's VRToolkit, but both didn't seem to work.

Anyone having an idea how to sharpen the picture?

8. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, just quickly went through these 33 pages so far of info... If I'm not wrong OP is still relevant nowadays and should work on reverb g2 as well?

9. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Anyone?? Guess I just have to try for myself

10. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just tried but it didn't work for me.. Gave me an error message and wouldn't launch the game...

11. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Hello I found this super interesting video yesterday. Unfortunately, it is only in German language. But it might also improve the performance in VR. I haven't tried it. A new graphics engine would be even better

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

12. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but what's to download? All 3 downloadable files won't show these d3d9 files from the video above.

Attached Files:

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Download .tar.gz file and unpack it with 7-Zip or WinRAR.

14. Norbert Zax

Norbert Zax New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I bought a VR (HP Reverb G2v1) several weeks ago but till now i didn't get a satisfying performance.
    My PC:
    GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3070 Ti OC
    CPU: 11600K
    Memory: 16 Gb

Problem:
    When i trying the above suggested setups, (and for example that: )
    i got only 60-80 fps but the GPU is running only with ~45-50 % (CPU <50% as well). I tried a lot of things (setups changes, new drivers..) but now i am out of any opther idea.
    Do you have any suggestions why is my PC running with that low level? If i am looking the fps with Stream VR a usage of the GPU is much more higher (>70%). If i am running the game without VR but the same setups (only different is that my monitor is a 60 Hz, and 1080p) i got 350+ fps and the system is running with >75%.

15. Kyle Block

Kyle Block New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was using these settings successfully with my old PC, but I've built a new one with a 7700X and an RTX 4090...which settings would people suggest changing/improving from the ones shown above?

16. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've upgraded to a 12900k and 3080ti recently, and is comparable to yours. If I have my baseline for this setup ready I'll probably make a new post.

I would start by the following:

resolution: to 100% in steamvr (can be higher, think i've tested 150%)
    trackdetails: medium
    Multi-Sampling: 8xAA
    Car Texture Quality: High
    Time progression: On

Install FpsVR to be able to verify you're not dropping frames.

Your system should run those settings easily, try it in a single player race on spa. If you have no frame drops between T1 and eau rouge and between noname corner and pouhon, then you're set.

After that you can play with settings you prefer to be higher.

17. Kyle Block

Kyle Block New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much! I'll keep an eye out for a new post with complete settings as well.

18. Stevieray

Stevieray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been away from RRE for awhile. I just got a RTX4090 and wanted to try VR. I have tried multiple settings and can not get VR to be clear. As soon as I load into VR the menu is very pixeled and blurry. What am I doing wrong? I am using a Varjo Aero headset.

19. Kyle Block

Kyle Block New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried loading into a race yet? Does the blurriness appear different? The reason I ask is that the menus might be affected by display settings (e.g. resolution settings), where these settings wouldn't apply in a race session. I am not a RRE expert, but in AMS2 for example, the menu will look really blurry if you change the 2d display resolution in the in-game settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kyle Block

Kyle Block New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got greedy and bumped SteamVR resolution to 200%. My goodness the game looks wonderful! However, I experienced frame rate drops to the mid 80s in those spots you mentioned at Spa. Just wondering though since it has been a long time since I played: Is it "normal" in RaceRoom to not have high CPU or GPU utilization even when frame rates drop? My system isn't breaking a sweat per FPSvr (well under 50% utilization), but I am still dropping frames.