What is the correct steering lock value?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LianJieYiQie, Mar 11, 2023.

1. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The equipment I use is the direct-drive steering wheel MOZA R9. I want to know how much steering lock should be set in Raceroom.
    At present, I know that if the keyboard is used, the default steering lock of all vehicles is 8, which is too small. Even if not, it is 13 most of the time, but it feels a little small.
    The steering angle should be correct. Each car's steering angle is different, but what is the correct steering lock? Does R3E keep the tire lock consistent, and then achieve the correct steering ratio through different steering angles. So the correct steering lock is 16? 18? Or other numbers?

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the car

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    In car setup when wheel is connected , go to top right hit the refresh symbol , this will default the steering to what is real for that car in game

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't work. I have tried to reconfigure the profile many times, only one time is 16, the other is 13, but no matter which, the number will not change after refreshing, unless I change it manually. But the steering angle always changes automatically. I don't know why only the steering lock remains unchanged

6. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps the lock is already correct before you refresh. Different cars have different lock as well as angle.

8. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Do you have time to check the steering locks of the GT3, Formula and several other types of racing cars you display in the game?
    My guess is that R3E maintains the same steering lock, and then achieves the correct steering ratio through different steering angles. For example, FX-22 is generally 450, but R3E is less than 360, which is different from other games.
    No matter what I do now, the steering lock is 13, but once it was 16. I feel that 16 is still small, so at least one of these two numbers is wrong
    I don't have to let the game automatically adapt to the correct steering lock. Only if I know the correct number, I can manually adjust it every time

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    All the numbers the game sets as default are correct to real world as far as is possible. If data exists it is used.

10. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I understand this and know that the game provides the correct data. But I don't think the numbers on my PC are correct.
    If I use the keyboard profile, I will have the correct steering angle and steering lock of 8 for all vehicles. So is 8 the data that is as close to the real world as possible? Obviously not. This will make the steering performance of the car even less than that of my private car.
    Similarly, I also think that the current 13 in my game is wrong. Because the number of Ferrari GT3 in RF2 is 540-18. The data of GT3 in AMS2 is mostly 540-20.
    So what I want to know is the number that the game gives to fit the real world. Even if there are only two cars, so I can calculate the steering lock number that I should set.

11. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    For some reason keyboard (and i think mouse as well) have lower lock (probably to mitigate keyboard inputs), but you should still be able to see default values in car setup. Keep in mind that you are free to adjust lock, if you feel like its too low

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    GT3 cars have different steering lock in ACC. Same in RF2. But in Raceroom pretty much all of GT3s have the same lock, 13 degrees. Which makes me think, too, that this number isn't realistic.

Although I personally don't care and just change it to achieve the steering ratio that I like.

13. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How to say, I think it is normal for these steering ratios to change between 13-15, which makes me hardly feel any different changes. Of course, 15 is the largest steering ratio I think. If it is more than 15, it will obviously feel the difference, because almost every corner needs to be turned more than 90 degrees.
    The default steering lock in most people's games is 13, and the steering ratio is 20, which is slower than the GT4 and even close to the performance of a private car.
    But I accidentally got a steering lock of default 16 yesterday, although I can't repeat it now. Compared with many games, I think the correct steering lock for R3E should be 18 or 19, or a very close number. Using this figure, the steering ratios of all vehicles in R3E are very close to reality. I just want to know this, but I don't know why they can't always give me the answer I want.:(

14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Lets do the maths 900/25 is the same as 540/15 .. that to say both will move the steering the same distance , lock to lock
    Im really confused at what your trying to do
    So lets have a solid example
    When you load up the audi tt cup car what does the game show once you have clicked tbe default symbol above the 000/00 settings

Andi

15. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I know the reason why keyboard profile causes slow. I just want to know the number of steering lock in the ideal situation without keyboard and other conditions.
    In other words, I just want to know how much steering lock you use when driving the GT3 car in the game (using the steering wheel)

16. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    To put it simply, 540-18 in RF2 and 540-13 in R3E. I think 13 is too small. I need to manually adjust 13 to 18 to get the same driving experience as RF2.
    Then when I load each vehicle, the default steering lock is 13, so every time I drive a new car, I need to manually change 13 to 18.
    20230312204102_2.jpg

17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    There's no such thing as a correct or ideal steering lock for all cars. Or correct max steering angle, or correct steering ratio. These values can be different from car to car for various reasons.

The game doesn't try to keep all cars on the same steering ratio either.

If you don't like the steering lock/angle/ratio in your car or think it's different from what the real car has, just change it.

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Although this "13" is suspiciously common among different cars. I wonder if there's a bug or something that in some cases causes the game to always suggest it as default. I'll try to test it tomorrow.

19. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This is what I want to say, and what I want to get is the number replaced by 13.:)

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The real cars have a range of adjustment for the lock. The defaults in game are such that a car can get around the tightest corners in game (Macau hairpin for example)

That said I don't really know what this guy is getting at, load the car and drive the bloody thing. It's as correct as it can be, but there is no reason that another slightly different value wouldn't also be correct. If he doesn't like it, change it.