What is the correct steering lock value?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LianJieYiQie, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    can i just get an r3e screenshot of the car steering set, what you posted is irrelevant
    if you load the car , click setup , then on the top right is the steering lock/ratio
    its this im interested in , not some comparison to some other sim
    so load a car , go to setup
    hit the default circly thing
    take a screen shot
    mention the car
    then i can check you dont have a bug

alex or physics guy spends a huge amount of time making sure he has the steering ratio of the car correct to what was fitted in the factory?real life
    now you the end user can change that , but the defaults are correct as they possibly can

its sunday , im covered in oil and grease , i hate changing fwd cv joint rubbers , because in france its a safety test (mot,controle technique)fail
    hate fwd
    utter trite

Andi

2. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I know you all are working hard. I have no disrespect or provocation. I just want to describe and solve this problem. This problem has existed since I first entered the game. It may be that some information asymmetry leads us to talk on different channels without paying attention to the core of the problem.:)
    20230313004057_1.jpg 20230313011620_1.jpg 20230313012026_1.jpg 20230313012507_1.jpg 20230313012933_1.jpg

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    So this to me is a bug because the values are off , ill ask some questions behind the scenes , give me a few days to get an answer

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    @Andi Goodwin I think I found the issue. If vendorSpecificRangeLock flag in steering_wheels.xml is set to "false", then the game always suggests 13 degrees steering lock. If it's set to "true" then default steering locks are correct. But if you want "spring based range lock" feature to work (as I did for Moza R9), you need this flag to be "false".

However, there are other wheelbases that have this flag at "false" in steering_wheels.xml: Accuforce, MMos, Cammus, and all Simucube models. In addition to that, Accuforce, MMos and Simucube 1 have "spring based range lock" feature enabled in their default profiles*.

And then there are a few wheels that also have vendorSpecificRangeLock as "false" for a simple reason, they are 180/270 degrees wheels and don't support variable steering range. This, I suppose, where this issue comes from: if this flag is "false" then the game also assumes (erroneously) that your wheel has a small steering range and therefore sets default lock to 13. For this to work properly, the game should instead use maxWheelRange parameter from steering_wheels.xml: if it's 300 or less, then use 13 degrees default steering lock, if it's more than 300, then use correct steering locks.

----
    * - I suspect that this also means that Cammus and Simucube 2 bases (Pro, Sport, and Ultimate) have neither "spring based range lock" feature by default, nor correct steering lock. I think this needs to be tidied up. Or better add a new setting to the game, with which we can turn "spring based range lock" on or off instead of editing various files.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  5. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think developers can list these data into a table and post it to forum, so that players can view it all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Simucube 2 don't need any kind of hack. They already auto set the rotation as a TM or Fanatec wheel would.

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Even if vendorSpecificRangeLock is set to "false"? Well, then these parameters make even less sense, so definitely needs tidying up...

But does Simucibe 2 have correct steering locks in different cars?

P.S. Since Accuforce, MMos and Simucube 1 have "spring based range lock" enabled by default, I'd say it's not a hack but a hidden feature. But it works and is useful, so it would be nice to make it not hidden.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  8. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Different wheel bases and their corresponding software support different features.
    That is why the the steering wheels file is set the way it is.

You're not really supposed to be looking through it and comparing as that's only part of the story.

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Looking at how Moza R9 was set up in steering_wheels.xml and its default profile, I don't have a 100% trust in them :D But if those other wheels work correctly, then that's great, of course. That was just my guess.

I hope that bug with steering lock will be found and fixed. For now, is it possible you post a list of steering locks for different cars? Or some general "rule of thumb" what number to expect for different car categories.

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson If you need anything from me regarding Moza R9, some info from the system maybe or trying some stuff, I'm happy to help.