Problem Nordschleife 24 hrs; massive FPS drop

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Iain Richmond, May 20, 2023.

1. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    It's not just him though? I tried it and like I said before as soon as you land on the grid the fps are half of what the other versions are? I don't think there's enough variance in that version to make that much difference?
    One thing with this sim is, if you find something that doesn't seem right, you have to argue hammer and tong before anyone takes you seriously! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I play in VR only and the only track version I avoid is 24h Nordschleife.
    To me the issue exists for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    It's not just him, but it's also not everyone, which makes it harder to track down and fix the issue.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    I dont want to be rude but your card is a bit of a donkey ..
    Have you tried a slight overclock on the cpu it should be relatively easy to get it to the 4ghz zone , and this will give a reasonable fps boost

Other suggestions
    Oponnents cockpits off
    Mirrors set to low
    Lower visable cars

Andi

5. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    It's not the track alone.The DTM 1992 Cars wich i drove most compared with the DTM 2020 or newer cost you up to
    10- 12 FPS on the 24 hours track.
    When i started with Raceroom back 2017 it was a fine race sim wich did run well on PC of these days.
    Now you need a modern Monstermachine to play a DX 9 singel core game as they killed the performance.
    For God's sake there are better sims out there.
    Have a nice day.

6. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Andi,
    don't fool the people.
    In 2017 i had a I5 and a Geforce 1080 and i was king with this game.I could set everything to high and no problems with great picture @1080p.
    Now i had to drive on medium with a ugly mirror.Come on.
    Now you see my specs of my modern "monstermachin" below.
    Support here means to defend the Devs.
    Always there ....

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Ive got a system less powerful than yours and dont have a drop like you , i can run both with 50+cars and its ok

8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    This testimony says nothing about the techniocal circumstances.Wit 25 fps 100 cars none visible no mirrors,in black and white @320 x 240 res. ?;)

For sure like Maskerade as i tested his file - 720 p borderd no fullscreen all set to medium 2x AA.Mirrors low.:D

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    That's not my settings. What you found is probably when I tried to help a guy who couldn't run the game because of broken screen resolution in that file, so I sent him a file that would 100% work, therefore 720p.

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    More tests.

Settings:
    "High" graphics preset, also bumped MSAA to 8x.
    nVidia control panel settings: Anisotropic filtering - 16x (max), texture quality - High quality (max).
    Resolution: 3440*1440, fullscreen.
    Hardware: i7-5775c, GTX 3070.
    This time I drove with cockpit cam, which lowers the FPS but also, for whatever reason, feels smoother than other cameras and lower FPS doesn't feel as choppy.

Tracks and cars:
    - Nurb 24H, 27 AIs. Time progression 1x (yes, it's not 0x). Starting 18th on the grid. 55 FPS at the start, then after the first few corners I never saw anything below 60 FPS, 60-70+ FPS on the GP section and usually 70-80+ FPS on the Nords.
    - Same but with time progression 0x. FPS is a bit higher, about 10 FPS more. But still 55 FPS at the start somehow.
    - Nurb VLN layout, same AIs, time progression 0x. 65 FPS at the start and overall about 10-15 FPS more than on 24H layout (also without time progression).
    - Hockenheim GP, same AIs, time progression 1x. 65 FPS at the start, after that it's 70-90 FPS and upto 100 FPS when the pack spreads out more.

So, assuming these results can be seen as "working normally", Nurb 24H still looks like the most demanding track, but the difference isn't all that big, I'm not getting even 1,5 times more FPS on a regular-sized track. Time progression lowers your FPS, but not massively, it doesn't look broken.

This doesn't mean that there can't be problems! But if your PC is somewhat comparable to mine (like Dady Cairo's) but you're getting much worse performance, it means there's something else going on, or maybe some settings are set too high and are causing massive drops.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    A couple of screenshots.

My usual settings (mostly meduim, but track and car textures are "High", MSAA 8x, mirror quality "low", some nVidia control panel improvements as describes above):
    mostly-medium-settings.jpg

"High" preset with MSAA 8x and nVidia control panel improvements:
    high-preset-enhanced.jpg

"High" preset sets mirror quality to "medium" and this is how it looks:
    mirror-high-preset.png

12. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Ha ha yeah I know but that's the thing, I run with V-sync on and most settings on high and it runs really well, consistent 60fps, seems even better with the switch to win10, that's why the drop is so noticeable on this track, I don't have any other issues on any of the tracks I own :)
    ....I have got a couple of faster cpus on my watchlists though ;)