Problem Moza racing r9 base

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Robert77, Aug 21, 2022.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Ok first quick attempt yesterday with the supposed revised R9 controller profile and I must confess I have mixed feelings right now

I lost the ability to emulate the mouse with one of the 2 joystick I have on my CS wheel
    The default in game FFB strength was set at 50% so I had almost no feedback in my 1st run until I found out
    The wheel rotation in game doesn’t match my wheel despite having ticked the match setup Option

rest is Ok for again an early testing but I am not super impressed at the moment

I haven’t touched any controller files so if that’s the solution to above issues I am happy to get proper guidance although I would like to avoid tweaking after tweaking

thanks a lot

2. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Didn't know of the revised profile... is this a new Moza profile in Gamedata? Does it revert the workaround settings in steering_wheels.xml?

For the joystick, I presume you set the wheel joystick to knob? And what values do you have for those under 'Immersion'....as I understand these can't be set to 0.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    You can. Setting them above 0 was a not-so-good workaround that Moza found; without that the wheel was losing FFB each time you go out on a track, except the first time. The fix is to set "alwaysCreateEffects" line in steering_wheels.xlm to "true", and this is what devs did when they updated that file back in April.

He's probably talking about the "Moza R9" profile. Before that, it was simply called "Moza". The changes I noticed are:
    1) "spring based range lock" is enabled by default;
    2) Fanatec pedals were removed from the profile (they got there by mistake).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I think you're not the first one who complained about angles not matching, but I don't remember what the solution was... Or was it R5 issue?

Anyway, I doubt there's anything important in the new default profile. If your old one works, use it. But if you want to use the new one, I would first suggest checking if everything is as described in this post: https://forum.kw-studios.com/index.php?threads/moza-racing-r9-base.18519/page-2#post-240674
    Maybe you set your rotation range to 1080 in Pithouse, but it's 900 in the new profile?

Probably also worth updating steering_wheels.xlm because there's an error there, R9 and R5 have the same deviceID. Not sure it causes any issues to R9, but just in case. I attached the correct one.

BTW, this "match setup" isn't the only setting that determines if on-screen wheel matches your physical one. What it does is that the maximum angle the on-screen wheel can rotate is the same as "steering angle" setting you see on your car setup page. The game doesn't know the angle of your physical wheel, unless it communicates with your wheel's software, which Raceroom doesn't do for Moza.

That "spring based range lock" feature is a way for you to say "hey R3E, my physical wheel rotates X degrees maximum", and then the game only uses a part of this range and limits it with a spring effect.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
  5. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    thanks a lot, this is quite helpful.

and to the post above, yes I was talking about the ne in GAME MOZA R9 profile made available for us owner of this wheel.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Now I remember, and the problem wasn't related to Moza. Steering sensitivity wasn't set to 50 so it wasn't linear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Really?

I didn’t pay attention to this setting when I drove on Sunday but then I will check again what’s being set

physically while driving it didn’t feel like the wheel was over sensitive to my input but again I didn’t make any correlation with steering sensitivity setting at the time so let me verify that

I also fixed the mouse and button emulation by indeed setting it to Dpad as it was on button by default

I have bought a 2nd hand QUEST2 few weeks ago and loving it in all other Sims I have so I will also give RRE a go as I don’t want to give up on this Sim

on that topic of the Sim popularity there is an interest post on Reddit that could be somehow eyes opener for us users but also the devs
    It’s in the Simracing sub if you are interested

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up, I will check it!

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Have you got a link by any chance

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
  11. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Yes that’s the one

title may sound dramatic but some interesting thoughts in there
    This Sim has just great potential really

12. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Hello again.
    I have been through the troubleshooting you suggested and again I appreciate the time you spent to guide me.

The good news
    Now the wheel rotation does match after having set 900 in Pithouse, as it was already in the Game file

looking at the description from the post you attached, in red is the feedback I can share

1) Edit this file: Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\General\steering_wheels.xml
    Scroll down to "MOZA R9 Base" section and change these values as shown:
    <vendorSpecificRangeLock type="bool">false</vendorSpecificRangeLock>
    <supportsSpringEffect type="bool">true</supportsSpringEffect>

It was already set like this by default

2) Edit your control profile in Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet
    Find this line and set the value to 1, like that:
    spring based range lock enabled="1" // Spring based range lock on/off

It was already set like this by default

3) In Moza software you should set rotation range to the same value that's in your control profile in this line(*):
    spring based range lock max rotation="900"

as mentioned above,I did set Pithouse at 900 instead of the generic 540 that I us for any of my other Sims

now the bad news

What triggered me to look at the Wheel rotation was that when I came back to RRE after the Moza profile update, it was the awful understeer any of my beloved cars was exhibiting.
    so naturally I went to see how I could affect the car turn in to the level back to what it used to be, and unmatching wheel rotation or steering sensitivity was 2 of them.
    getting the 2 things sorted did not fix that understeer issue. I haven't modified anything on my R9 RRE profile in Pithouse so I am wondering what could be the issue.
    I am considering to delete the RRE folders in My Document and start from scratch but any other brilliant suggestion is appreciated because this is putting me off again from the Sim

13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Maybe load a default setup for your car and also take a look at steering lock if it's not too low. The "spring based range lock" feature has a bug, all cars will have the steering lock default value of 13 degrees (unless you changed it), and that's too low for most cars. For example, proper default steering lock for GT3 and TCR cars is around 16 degrees.

14. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again
    I decided to and delete the My Document folder and rebuild every setting from scratch and it did the trick at least cars behavior is back in more realistic way and without abnormal understeer

silly question but from all the recent updates and the long time I hadn’t touched the Game did KW do any change in FFB or physics that could explain that my FFB was off exhibiting too much understeer?
    Thanks in advance

PS Note to R9 owners if you are having weird wheel behavior I highly recommend to do what I did with deleting the My Documents folder and recreate your wheel profile in Game

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I'd clarify (just in case :D) that you only delete Documents\My games\SimBin, and not Documents itself.

There was a slight update to FFB and also GT3 physics but that was only a week ago, and a couple of months ago (April 5th) GT4 and GT2 (the newer class) physics were also updated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Ffb had another tweak with the M4 release last week

Andi

17. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    yeah by complete frustration I decided to delete my entire My Documents folder:eek:kidding:D

more seriously, what you are saying is making sense because I was driving a couple of GT3 cars only during this testing so yes something was Off.
    Really happy its back to normal, still would like to fine tune my R9 FFB settings to get most of the Game wide range of cars:cool:

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  18. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    thanks Andi, much appreciated

PS if you could tell JF to not ignore VR optimization on this Game, it would be great:D

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    From my understanding, fine-tuning the settings for Raceroom should basically be turning down all post-effects like damping, friction, all that stuff, to bring FFB as it is. Did you try that? Or was it not good for you?

20. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    its 10PM over here so I will try to spend an hour testing and will report back. do you have an R9 by the way?