I own nearly everything, 807 hours since 2013, but I'm done.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kondor999, May 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topshelf147

Topshelf147 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Dropbox, Google Drive, or just use the Video Compress app on Android to shrink size.

Thanks

2. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Theres lots of utube video and free software to do what your asking if that's what your referring to.

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    in the last corner, I turn at a constant radius, the ffb meter is stable(ish) I then add more lock and the ffb meter drops before I straighten slightly and regain grip. the scrub can be heard. not the greatest video ever but it shows its happening. If you go stupid and turn understeer to like 80 its really easy to feel....but undriveable at that level

Attached Files:

4. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    First, thanks for the video.
    But I have to wonder if that's really understeer? Looking at the input meter, that's more of an excessive yank to reduce centering forces which would drop ffb. Not saying there's not a change, just not sure we're addressing understeer.

I'm going to grab some clips tonight. Maybe we can see what's happening on a wheel with issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Obviously you can't feel what I'm feeling while driving. Throughout a lap its definitely understeer, but its not a dramatic, off a cliff feeling so that doesn't show well on the meter. Yes that was a purposefully sharp turn to make sure the tyres slipped, and they could be heard to slip, and i felt the wheel go light. Its the same feeling I get in iracing or AC when understeering.

I'm done for the night, go and try it yourself now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for trying to show this from your perspective it is very much appreciated, this is what people have wanted for ages, maybe the use of the FFB meter and a video or game file with a description and relative settings is away forward for those who are prepared to put some time in,

7. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Just ran some tests. Again. Here's a video of me running 2 attempts each, from setting 0-100 in increments of 10, in the AMG at Imola showing the FFB meter while I actually understeer off track. At least corner entry understeer as I believe most of us are concerned. I am not seeing any signs of the game reading understeer in the meter, but you decide.

That said, once you reach 40/50+ on that setting, it does lighten the wheel, but in a very unnatural way. And since the ffb meter isn't showing any change, I have to think it's actually a canned effect, not something actually based on telemetry feedback. I could be wrong, but I don't understand how else it can be making this happen.

Either way I'm just starting to think it is what it is and it might be time to move on. Not sure I can invest much more time into changing values only to end up and slightly different versions of the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I think this a good video on the topic, from the guy behind the physics of AMS

Around 22minutes is a graph how heavy the wheel should feel in relation to slip angles. According to him, there shouldn't be a big drop in resistance when understeering.

I will also try to make a vid how it looks on my end, I think this is the only occasion where Paul Ricards is a suitable track :D

9. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Short video of how it looks on my end

There is definitely a drop in the FFB force as I durn the wheel more. Maybe some people would like it more peaky?

10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's not a canned effect, the only effects of that type are the Kerb effects etc at the bottom of the page. It uses the same system as all isi engine games in that the understeer comes from the tyre grip/slide and the amount of understeer you feel at wheel is governed by a formula (affected by out understeer parameter) which affects how soon and how dramatic the loss of force at the wheel is in relation to the loss of grip of the tyre. So you can have it at nothing, hardly at all, useful (which I would say is about 40ish on my wheel) and over-exagerated which is what happens at high numbers on the understeer setting.

@Topshelf147 On your videos you didn't even go from a grip to none grip situation, you immediately wound on too much steering and just went off the track, that's never going to show anything useful on the graph.

As I've said on my end on my wheel understeer feels very much the same as it does on other Sims, I immediately know if I've begun to lose front end grip and can either correct it mid corner or know for next time around that I was too fast or turned in too hard and can make a change accordingly.

I really have no idea what it is you expect to be feeling here to be honest, but can only conclude that if you aren't feeling the same as myself and @Winzarten then either your wheel setup is way off or you have unrealistic expectations.

@Winzarten Is FFB output part of the shared memory? Would your telemetry tool be able to show a trace of wheel slip Vs FFB for example?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I too think the Understeer effect might be a canned effect
    I have the Understeer setting set to around 10; anymore than that I find the wheel gets too loose and feels unnatural

The reason I think it’s a canned effect is that the Understeer setting realities to how quickly the wheels ffb becomes loose as opposed to how strong the Understeer feeling is if that makes sense.

The looseness of the wheel when under steering should relate to the degree of slip and the subsequent lack of grip as the tyre overheats.

I don’t find this aspect of r3e ideal but set correctly it’s sufficient enough to know the car is under steering, I tolerate it only because understeer is something I avoid.

12. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    And there it is! It works for me, so it's you. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, stop looking for a fix. The mighty Ravey has spoken. You all have unrealistic expectations and don't know how to operate your hardware. I mean yeah, maybe you do in AC, ACC, rF2 and AMS2. But not in R3e. Apparently there's a special process that only a few elite forum members get access to. The rest of us should just suck it up and deal with it as we have no idea what we're talking about.

Thanks bud!

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Come on now. That's not what I said. I even showed you exactly what you wanted and then you said....nah thats not understeer.

I can't try your wheel. That's obvious. I'm saying it feels the same to me as in other sims. Am I lying or something? I have no vested interest in this game, being a beta tester means nothing - I wouldn't be playing it if I wasn't happy with how it felt, full stop.

This thread was actually getting to be a decent discussion, why feel the need to bring it back to us vs them? Not helpful.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

15. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    You said, if I'm not feeling the same as you, then it's me. That's us vs them..

• Like Like x 2
  16. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing left for me to do here. You don't care, Alex doesn't care, Sector3 doesn't care.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure how the sarcasm and mocking of a tester who's trying to find a pattern in user reports and explains things from his point of view helps here. So please try to keep this discussion on a factual and unemotional level.

His point is that if sth ain't broken on our end and we also can't reproduce the error by replicating settings we have a problem because we can only work with what we can see and feel for ourselves.

This applies to any bug or inconsistency, if it only happens for a few users and the majority say it's fine on their end, the most reasonable conclusion is that whatever is causing the problem must be connected to the specific setup on those users' end. This is never said in order to put the blame on the user, there might still be an issue that only affects a certain device or hardware combination, but again, we have to work with what we see and feel on our end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Dude stop being so defensive, and try to describe what you would expect it to feel.
    This is basically the curve that can be seen in my video
    mspaint_2020-05-30_09-20-36.png
    There is fall-off in the force, but it isn't very high. This looks similar to the chart in Niels heusinkvelds video, and it basically how real tyre and suspesions slip affect the wheel weight.

My guess is that the understeer slider just affects the slope of the fall-off, so in bigger values you get something like this:
    mspaint_2020-05-30_09-20-41.png
    Maybe you would like more to the curve to look like this?
    mspaint_2020-05-30_09-20-50.png
    So there is more pronouced are at the top of the force (which btw isn't top of the grip), a more noticible drop, followed by a more gradual slope?

Until you can get on paper some real verifiable goal, there is nothing the devs can do. The devs cannot have a goal : Make it feel good for Topshelf147. But they can have a goal "make a settings that makes the top of the FFB more pronouced". This can be done and tested.

@ravey1981
    There doesn't seem to be anything related to FFB in the shared memory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    1st 4 runs, no understeer. Subsequent runs forced understeer. When understeering the FFB level drops by around half. QED

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Discussions are great, throwing accusation is not.

Locking thread while it's still on a friendly level.

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.