Massive Reputation loss in SINGLE incident ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gansa75, May 31, 2020.

1. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm deeply frustrated with the incident/reputation system in ranked races..

I participated in ranked races too soon and litterally had no clue what actually resulted in bad ratings.. Quiting, getting off track , Bumping into other drivers (but not in purpace) but since I recently discovered that I never applied full braking on my g29 I altered the breaking dead spot and for me now it's basically just a matter of braking when the car before me brakes to avoid punting someone while before i was punting the care before me .. Meanwhile the damage was done my reputation dropped to 47.. But by grinding race after race I managed to get back to 69.7 in a matter of ten races..

So I was driving in gt2 on suzuka yesterday and this race was going to get my reputation above 70 again so I could participate in pretty much all ranked races again.. However in lap 1 under a yellow flag"ish" situation where I was avoiding another slower car before me .. I get punted so hard from behind I get pushed into the car before me spin out while getting T-boned by another car to finally end up against the rail wrecking the engine.. End of my race in lap one.. so one guy bumps in to me causing me to have contact with two other guys and the race is over ..
    Of course said player fucks up his next breaking point as well, ends up in the gravel and just calls it quits . 10 seconds later he In in the pit as well.. No fucks given.. Not a single apology.. I guess you get used to that after a while especially in the ranked races without reputation requirements ..
    But here is the shocker for me that guy basically reset my reputation back to 63.. Basically a whopping TEN percent reduction.. in a single incident where I kept my nose clean and wasn't to blame at all

Now I probably need another 5 races at least, of jumping into empty servers in hopes of other players joining up and praying that they are also grinders and not wreckers causing me to drop even further (not a lot of ranked servers have lots of drivers when my kid goes to bed you know)

Any advice how to get out of the limbo I am in?

I still have the replay.. However I am clueless as how to share it here.. cant find my replay folder anywhere on my drive and when i tried to record the replay using OSB it gave me a BSOD .. and for you who dont know these abbreviations basically its "computer says noooooooooooooooooooo" :) to use a little britain reference :)

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The most important difference between your reputation score and your rating score is that reputation doesn't care about who you drive against and where you finish. It's a representation of your safety and reliability as a driver, your ability to safely maneuver a vehicle around a track. It's basically a record of how many clean corners you've driven, weighed against how many incident points you picked up.

So in order to increase your reputation score the best thing to do is to stay out of harms way and avoid picking up incident points for leaving the track or losing control of your car.
    Theoretically you could stay away from the main field and just lay down clean laps for a race or two. That way your reputation should increase pretty quickly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    So RaceRoom is now a grinding simulator instead of as racing simulator?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    If you have previously gotten extremely unlucky and your reputation score is important to you and you feel like you wont be able to have a clean race when driving normally then yes (and even then going by what christian said were talking a couple races, not exactly a real grind). Otherwise not really

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It's not important to me as a number but rather the fact that I can currently not race in 50% of the ranked servers that require a 70% reputation score.. Even though I presume there will be wreckers as well (since everybody starts out with a certain reputation also complete noobs ) but I assume there will be less of them there.. Also who Is to say someone won't host a server at some point in time with a reputation requirement of 80 or even even higher? If you know what I mean.. But I can't say it's not partially on me.. Entering ranked races in classes you never driven with before is a recipe for disaster even if your intentions are not ill..

6. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough, but i feel like a 70 reputation should be achievable unless you get unlucky a lot. Driving cars that you have no experience with obviously wont help tho ;D

7. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Quoting you above to get down to your low rating, and that is very low, what about all the drivers who's reputation was destroyed by you, they too have to rebuild there's, that's a grind as well, from experience your one incident against a high ranked player would destroy there's, the higher your rank the bigger the hit, as for some server's having even higher rank requirements, that is no different than having leagues in football ect, prove how good you are go up, go down if not, so don't rant when you are affected, rebuild your rank, then you too will look for higher ranked to protect your own

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The more races you have under your belt the less a single bad race will affect your reputation, its a numbers game.

9. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    in my defence ..
    1 I never punted others on purpose .. i allways appologized to the other driver
    2 as i said before .. I had issues with my controller prohibiting me to hit the brakes hard enough when the driver before me broke at an "usual" braking point before turns .. ever tried to break check a ten tonner with a sports car ? it usually doesnt end well for the car in front ..
    3 i never had a clue at that me bumping in to others would damage THEIR reputation what sick fucking mind comes up with something like that right ??
    4 It was not a rant i did'nt even call out the other guy about it because that would have been the pot calling the kettle black .. ( after all what if that guy was also fucking about with a shitty G29 it took me MONTHS to figure out I wasnt braking at full capacity .. ONLY because i started using the otterhud i realized i could start braking much later and avoid colissions way easier and shaving off seconds off my laptimes)

anyway thx for the info Chistian , Nico and Ravey, ill try to keep my nose clean .. yours oldfart .. meh..

10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    In defence of @OldFart...

1. Well, that's nice of you... ;)

2. So you went online with a badly working brake. Maybe at first you weren't aware that your brakes were working sub-par, but you still try to brake as late as all the others although you should have known from your own offline-experience that you just can't brake that late. And then you wonder why you bump into other cars? Well...

3. You might want to think about your wording as you surely don't want to insult the devs, do you? There are very good reasons why always both drivers in a collision receive penalty points and these reasons have been discussed over and over (and over) again in this very forum.

4. The standard HUD also has an input meter. And even the advanced controller settings have an input meter where you can check all axes right after you assigned them. No need for Otterhud to realize all this.

I hope I don't come over too harsh as I surely don't mean it that way, we all were young at some point...but really, a tiny bit of contemplation instead of rushing to actions could have gone a long way in avoiding a lot of hassle on your own side... ;)

11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Ask any pro racing driver if they think getting to the pro ranks was a grind... ;)

I never suggested to grind your way to a perfect score. Staying out of harms way doesn't necessarily mean that you start last and stay far behind everyone else on purpose.

Driving defensively when it's necessary is part of what makes a good, consistent driver, not only in public traffic. If you drive with a knife between your teeth at all times, you're asking for trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    it wasnt only braking late . .i was also from time to time definding at the wrong places and getting bumped as well ..
    or as christian also stated driving too much with a knife between the teeth and focussing too much on result instead of driving clean ..

about the brake thing .. well i should have known better since i came up on a youtube post about how to tweak and replace those on a g29 .. but basically i presumed it was all bad footwork on my behalf i.e.braking too hard and going in a slide while in fact it was the inverse ..
    as for the sick fucking mind it was a sarcastic quip .. seeing the general tone of my post i thought that was clear lol
    apparantly not .. :mad: .. there .. i found the emojiis lol:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Maybe clean up the language as well as the driving?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Cleaning up the language will give you 70 reputation

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that staying out of harm way often means being last and having your eyes around your head.
    The problem is that once you drop below 70 you're forced to drive with people that ofen don't care about rep/rating, they might not even know it exist.

More than half of my races on 0 rep servers ended up in me being spun first 3-4 corners. Often by T1 I had 15-20 points from being bumped around.

Later when I tried to gain some positions I was poshed off track while passing on a straigth and I was passing people slower than me maybe 3-4 s a lap.

I've said that before nad i'll say it again. I challenge anyone who defends the system the way it is now to try and race for a week only on a 0rep servers.

The system doesn't work because it allows for people that don't care about rep/rank or even clean racing to race with people that do, without any consequence.

You shouldn't be allowed to drive on ranked servers without "grinding" your way into it, Like in real motorsport.

16. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Or people that are even unaware that crashing into others also affects the OTHERS reputation :eek:
    the system might work better is if they add more granularity to the reputation requirements ..
    now the official ranked servers say (counting 17 of em as we speak ) half of em require 0 reputation and the other half 70 ..
    it would be better if they made a 2 servers 0
    2 40 +
    3 50+
    and the rest 70+ or higher
    and also rotate the requirements for the classes/tracks combination which they are hosting ..
    this way it might motivate more to unlock more servers by driving clean
    and also do this for some tracks and classes that are free where lots of people are driving
    like sepang , portimao and raceroom raceway on silhoutte , CR1 class or hillclimb ..
    but not permanently .. from time to time slap a reputation requirement on it one day they can play , and get wrekked and rekked from all sides, and the next day when the rep requirement is 50+ they notice driving is way more sportive and fun ..
    THAT will make people more aware earlier on to adapt a proper driving style I think ..

ps gotten back the 70+ reputation again yesterday .. lets not talk about my ranking lol

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    For what it's worth, my experience seems to differ very much from yours, but I admit that I probably haven't done nearly as many ranked races as you guys.

For me most of the races I did went pretty much the same. Qualify somewhere in the middle, stay very conservative during the first lap (I don't mind letting people pass in t1, we'll usually meet again ;) ), and then do my thing which is trying to do consistent, error-free laps. Eventually I would pass half the field just by them spinning or quitting, which secured my rating. After just a handful of races I was at a reputation around 90.

In general I agree that we might have to add more qualifying factors for people to be able to join ranked races (of a certain level).
    Not trying to have a go at Gansa75, but people really shouldn't join a ranked server that runs a track-car combo they've never once driven before. No serious real life series would ever allow sb in a race who has zero experience on that track and never drove the car before.

There's many opportunities to train certain combos before going ranked. You can join non-ranked servers but what I'd like to suggest strongly is making use of the single player modes. Be it SP practice or races, this is where you can explore without putting your and other users rating at risk.

As far as added qualifying factors are concerned, I could even see us enforcing this kind of practice. F.e. having to have driven at least 10 laps in SP with the car-track combo used in ranked. But please bear in mind that the whole system is still in its testing phase. Changes will be made and features will be added.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    well i agree that's what ive been doing lately .
    .. the only reason i diverted to ranked servers in the first place was out of sheer frustration of the carnage that was going on on the open servers .. rammers and wreckers people parking on apexes , driving against the direction ..
    but again in all honesty .. i might need to clarify this ..
    I think the worse reputation loss i experienced in my slippery slope down was getting off track by driving too fast for my experience on said track and especially quitting after ending up in the gravel i had no clue how bad it affected the reputation ..

also i think the last update works wonders ... going off track into the gravel f*&cks up your tiregrip .. (language right arthur?? :confused:)
    and you basically lose 20+ seconds to get back on pace .. so that also motivates better to drive cleaner
    nowadays if i want to join in on a ranked server .. i look at the track rotation and if i don't know the next track or the one after that i want to join (wich becomes less and less the case ) I tend to go for a leaderboard session / SP race until i get a consistent result lap after lap in that car class..
    but definitely one thing that needs to improve with me is patience in a race .. keeping away from all the mayhem in the first 3 corners - or first lap in general until the race settles is the way to go to drive cleaner ..
    from time to time i jump in a porti/RR/sepang server in silhouette and starting pretty much from spot 32 to end up at 16 after one lap .. and ending somewhere round posn 5 because frankly .. Qing on these servers is a waste of time if they punt you in T1 but its good fun trying to overtake trough the pack cleanly .. and usually at the head of the race there are guys who race respectfully
    you just have to wade through the muck first ..

• Like Like x 1
  19. PHILBAD

PHILBAD New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On my side, I think they should punish or completely ban those they come on a race to play demolition derby.
    I just (didn't) completed a race with a good fight with one of the so, yes we touched a little bit but in the rule of art and then, a dude come a cut us like a kamikaze and we been disqualified. Both of us...

What I'm gonna do is sent the link for complain in every start for them to understand that the MUST change it and GIVE BACK positions and points to innocents driver they want to have fun and be good.

I'm playing with Logitech Gamepad and usually, I qualify in the middle grid to the 10th position or I begin completely at the back to rebuilt my reputation that is, personally, so important to me.
    Yes, I'm human and I make mistakes sometime but one moron is always there to kick me out.
    I love racing, clean racing but I'm almost done with this game.

20. PHILBAD

PHILBAD New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Solution: Driving license test like in Grand Torismo.