Is Raceroom more demanding than AC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dong Woo Kang, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    That's not the only thing it does. Its goal is to syncronise videoframe output of your game with your monitor's refresh rate. Hence "sync" in its name.

It also increases display lag and when your FPS drops below the Vsync setting, it throws away every other frame which effectively means your FPS is halved (60 insted of 120; 30 instead of 60; etc.).

If you goal is to have a VRR enabled while also keeping your FPS below max refresh rate, that's what FPS limiter is for, that's how it all supposed to work. If it doesn't work, then that's another issue.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Exactly...Were on the same page just using different words... I said keep FPS Running Smooth you say Keep FPS Synced to Monitor... Bottom Line Point is RRE FPS Limiter, Vsync GPU or In Game doesn't work with VRR Enabled.

PC specs: Asus 490E, 10900k, DDR-4 4000, Asus 3080ti OC, Asus Thor 850w PSU, Ryujin 360 AIO cooler<-- I have No problem Running RRE with Graphics totally maxed out... But with 30 cars on track the any time your in a crowed of cars FPS drop to 85 and you can see stutter especially in corners --> ACC, AMS2 30 Cars on track FPS hardly ever drop and if the do its only down to 110FPS with No Stutter issue.

PC specs in My signature Need to be updated.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  3. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Ehm, no. These only sound similar, but they work completely differently.

How do you set your FPS limiter? If it doesn't work while set in Global settings, try setting it for R3E program.

Like that (random pictures from the internet):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I read somewhere, that vsync in combination with gsync is only a frame limiter but syncs it completely with monitors refreshing rate.
    So is this the thing you need? (If it’s right)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I was under the impression Gysnc substituted vsync and therefore you should not activate both. When I got my computer, gsync was activated and seemed to work well but I switched it off as it forces you to run the Nvidia card all the time, even for windows and basic stuff and I would rather use the onboard graphics for that to make the nvidia card last longer and also consume less power.

6. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    V-Sync only Synchronizes your FPS you your Monitor/TV If you are running below the Monitors Max FPS ---> If you Exceed your Monitor/TV Maximum Refresh Rate Vsync deactivates and you may get Stutter and or Tearing.... You can Run them both at the same time --> Google it.

7. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I think its just a case where DX9 is showing its age and doesn't work with Newer Tec like VRR.... I tried all the Vsync options and problem only occurs when VRR is Active... Also DX9 doesn't seem to calculate fast enough to keep 30 or even 24 cars on the Track in close proximity and Maintain 120FPS... FPS it always Drops to ~86 and when the cars spread out FPS goes back up.... and again ACC, AMS2 with All settings Maxed are much more demanding Graphically than RRE and My PC holds 110 to 120FPS with No Stutter.

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    It's not how Vsync works. It syncs your game frames with your monitor all the time. When it doesn't have a new game frame available in time, it simply drops it. That's where stutter comes from. There's no tearing with Vsync (when it works properly).

What deactivates above max refresh rate, are G-sync (nVidia tech), FreeSync (open free AMD tech) and VRR*. They don't sync game frames to your monitor refresh rate, they do precisely the opposite - they sync your monitor to your game frames. The monitor then refreshes its image the moment a new frame is available, instead of simply refreshing it on regular intervals like it does with fixed refresh rate.

The problem with R3E is not necessary DX9 itself but the game engine. VRR shouldn't depend on how your game creates its frames.

* - "VRR" stand for two different things: 1) variable refresh rate as a principle, regardless of tech; or 2) a variable refresh rate feature that's called "VRR" that is a part of HDMI 2.1 format.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  9. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    game optimization is going backwards since new build. New UI is very laggy and My new 3070TI card isn't cutting it on medium / high settings , It seems a bit like internet lag , before update my 1080TI was running on high settings no problems no lag. AMS2 runs on maxed out settings smooth as in all weather and time conditions.?
    I'm using Vsync use the application setting, and Gsync with max frame capped at 58 for 60hrz monitor and VR 90 hertz and 70% in steam SS fraps run at 45 solid doesn't sound much but . Looks nice and runs smooth as with AMS2 with 30 AI. Any suggestions for RRE ?

10. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    with My 2080ti i just used Vsync through the GPU/Nvidia Control pannel--> All in game Graphics setting setting Maxed out with in game resolution to 4k/3840×2160@60hz and RRE Ran smooth as butter with 30 cars on track... I figured Now I have 3080ti that I could do 4k/3840×2160 @120FPS but thats Not the case ---> Something with RRE game engine doesn't calculate fast enough to maintain 120FPS if your in a Crowed of Cars.

My Suggestion is just use Vsync through the GPU Max out in Game Graphics settings and ditch the other stuff... I get Butter smooth Solid 60FPS 2080ti or 3080ti --> I'm on Latest GPU Dr 471.11 <-- its really Good and also fixed the VR Stuttering problem.

For what ever reason RRE has a issue with VRR... Also and separate 2nd issue RRE can't hold 120FPS in a crowed of cars No matter what Resolution--> I tried 2160, 1440 and 1080p same issue when in a crowd of cars FPS always drops to ~86 then works its way up as the Car Crowed thins out.

Still a Great game just have to run it Locked at 60FPS for butter smooth performance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Before any 1 ask Yes I have a High end 8k 48GB HDMI cable between PC and TV so I'm sure the HDMI cable is Not the Issue... also as I been saying ACC/AMS2 Run 120FPS just Fine No matter what.

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Its your cpu thats slowing it down .... dx9
    Single core..........

Andi

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Aaah ok...I have 10900k, DDR-4 4000 and 3080ti... I was wondering what the issue was I have more than enough Horse power to Run it totally maxed out.

So as I suspected its DX9 issue.

14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I’m in absolutely the same boat. My 9700k only is at 5 GHz, so the 3080 ti is bored while racing.
    IMHO it’s time to move to a newer DX Version. Ehm, in fact, I think this opinion is two years old now…

15. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Only prob with moving to another DX platform is the risk of breaking something....I'd Love to see RRE Updated to DX11 or 12 but it runs too Good on DX9 for Me to strongly want the game devs to risk Breaking it with a DX Update.... Its a Real Paradox

16. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Is this a DX9 limitation,only Single core?
    Or is it possible to use modern CPU's with more than only one core?
    Dummy Question..:rolleyes:

17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    No, it's not a DX9 issue or limitation, it's the game engine limitation. Borderlands 2, for comparison, is also a DX9 program but it can use upto 4 cores.

I doubt we can do anything with it.

18. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I wish it could be possible to run the web hud overlay on another core,now i can't use otterhud anymore causing stutters,no smoth gameplay anymore.:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I figured out If I don't act stuck up about My PC specs and Turn a Few settings down @ Full 4k/3840 X 2160 I get over 105 FPS at race start and it Quickly goes to 120 FPS and stays there...if it dips it wont fall below 105 FPS... I Turned down Car reflections to Medium, Rear view Mirror Quality to Medium.... The car class and Number A.I Cars on the track can cause FPS to vary depending on track... Nuburgring sprint w/fast chicane I have 17 A.I, Watkins glen Short w/inner loop I have 19 to 21 A.I depending on car class....But on average my FPS stays above 105 and Quickly goes back up to 120FPS so the micro stutter issue seems to be gone.

Its a Nice difference between 120FPS and 60FPS as long as the frame rate is smooth and dont drop below 90.

VRR still acts crazy no Matter what settings or where you vsync so it is what it is...hopefully it can get fixed with a future update.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  20. Danny Michael

Danny Michael Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I've replaced much of the essentials with Simhub overlays. Still, I would prefer to use Otterhud. Hopefully a fix will happen.