AI pitting on short race

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skidmark, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just did a FR US race at Road America. 10 laps on soft tyres (red ones). Mandatory pit stops set to off.

I was running last and on lap 8/9 entire field of 19 AI cars pitted and I won by 15 seconds. My tyres were going off but were quite drivable (all yellow in HUD).

Just wondering if that sounds right? Haven't had that happen before (in hundreds of races, although I've never run this combo before).

2. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    Thanks for the report.
    Did they all pit at the same time in the same lap?

3. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply.

I checked the replay more carefully and 4 of 19 AI cars pitted on lap 6 and the remaining 15 on lap 7.

It's quite unusual for cars to pit on sprint races (10 laps) so I was wondering if this is right? Mandatory pit stops were off and I was not required to pit and didn't pit - so won easily...

4. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Positive thing is that you won ^^

I will see if I can reproduce it and will then upload it for the devs.
    Thanks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yes from dead last! (My first go at Road America - I love it but my lines are all wrong so far!)

I was running default set up (except reduced fuel to 11-ish laps) / Get Real / AI=104 / Road America / FRUS / 19 x AI

Thanks for responding.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    For what its worth I just replicated it myself - same thing but AI pitted laps 5/6.

I also replicated the stuttering I've been getting after I change gears... it feels like a 'mechanical' fault in the gearbox!!

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    A thought, stuttering may be related to ffb, do you have shift fb set high? if so try turning it down or off and see if it goes away.

8. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Oooh thanks @Skidmark.
    By the way, your finding of AI pitting when not needed was already in the bug tracker :)
    In fact, they doesn't have enough fuel to do the whole race, hence pitting.

For the stuttering, I wanted to record it but then it didn't happen anymore o_O. Stuttering for me was worst at corner 7, IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the idea - still doing it though...

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Almost four years later than my original post and I just did this combo again (chose this combo so I’ll know just exactly how slow I am when I am watching DDF and friends on Tuesday night:D).

Same problem exactly - the 19 AI cars all pitted late in the race even though pit stops were turned off. 10 lap race. Alternate tyres on all cars.

11. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    I really didnt need you telling me 2018 was 4 years ago :D :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. vvPULSEvv

vvPULSEvv Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well that's still better than what I experienced last night. The entire field pitted on the last lap, and completed the race on pit road. The one AI whose pit was after start-finish line finished 2nd. This was at Nordschleife, 30 minute race with 4x fuel and tires, which equated to 4 laps. Some AI pitted on lap 1 as well... Again, not necessary. Everyone should have pitted on lap 2, requiring only 1 stop.

13. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The long Nordschleife with 4x fuel usage is a pretty bad combination, it makes the fuel estimates go haywire. If you want the whole field to pit in the middle of the race, just enable a mandatory pit stop and set fuel usage to 1x.

14. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    With which cars was that?

15. vvPULSEvv

vvPULSEvv Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    GT3. I have since took maju's advice and turned fuel down to x1, forced mandatory stop, and all is good.