How much would pay for a laser scanned version of a track?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Jul 24, 2022.

Tags:
?

How much would pay for a version of tracks laser scanned?

1. $20

2. $10

3. $5

4. $0 - I couldn't tell the difference anyways...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That's. Just wow!

But, but, but.....iracing is the most realistic simulator on the planet, surely.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    For what it's worth, I can't tell the difference in fidelity between the laserscanned Nordschleife in R3E and the non-laserscanned tracks, including the regular Nurburgring.

That said, I would definitely say that ACC feels more detailed. Is that due to them being laserscanned, or maybe, given the Nordschleife in R3E not feeling at that level either, is it due to them simply being made more detailed and laserscan was just a tool that became a catchphrase? Maybe people are attributing the quality of some tracks in some sims to the tool, while they should give more credit to people who used it and worked hard to transfer the data into the final product? Or maybe the Nordschleife is at similiar level of detail, but the game simply doesn't transfer that?

So, maybe there's no point in Raceroom offering laserscanned tracks, because it won't make any difference anyway?

ACC also has a non-laserscanned track. It's Zandvoort. Have you seen anybody ever mention that it feels inferior to laserscanned tracks? Because I've only seen people mistakenly claiming it's laserscanned just like all the others, while it's actually not.

Also, on a sidenote - if you think tracks in Raceroom are buttersmooth, turn up bump amplification to maximum and take out a Formula car for a few laps.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Like rF2.
    9€

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I like the way the same two people keep disliking comments, they clearly haven't a clue. If you want to see the tracks have bumps check your suspension telemetry. The fact they aren't translated into fake FFB effects is irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have no problem with people supporting laser scanning, but I do feel it is a little bit a case of Emperor´s New Clothes and is being used by iRacing to justify their pricing and gloss over their lack of dynamic weather and other realism deficiencies.

It´s also important to remember that this is track racing and not the Paris Dakar Rally. Circuits should be in better condition than our normal roads - maybe when we get Sebring that will be debunked, though!

Try raising ride height in RRE and on most cars you will go faster, so there is clearly undulating going on.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  6. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    @Stelcio @ravey1981
    This has annoyed me in AC/ACC since the first time I tried those games, both with a G29 and DD wheel, the damn shaking in my wheel from all micro bumps - all the time everywhere! While in corners, it's way less clear to me where the grip level is compared to RaceRoom, instead I got that constant shakiness which provides me zero information about grip level. It's like RaceRoom with bump amplification maxed out, drowning out everything else. But many seem to like it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd pay a lot for laser scanned tracks, but only to support the development of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom is my go-to sim. If it were to feature laser scanned tracks and all the fixings that comes with it, I'd be ecstatic! It's difficult for me to say how much I would pay, but I would pay.

If Sector3/KW Studios decides to laser scan tracks. Please let Sebring be the first track. People seem to think air strips are smooth around here. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. scotty_r56s

scotty_r56s Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I would pay a stupid amount of money for Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park, among others.

Stupid amounts.

Stupid.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Do not care about laser scan or not because even if you have laser scan data, there are ways to screw it up even a handmade track is better. In the end, it is a tool to collect track data. Not a be all end all method.

What matters for me is the data used is good quality and representative of the track with the track faithfully recreated to represent the track at that time.

Not going to say where this info is from, i have seen laser scanned data that are so badly processed. Even the old and "inferior" methods can produce much higher quality work.

10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0

11. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I never heard of Atlanta Motorsports park, so I looked it up.

And all I can say is...

Me too.

About laser scanning getting botched by the game developers. That can and does happen. I cannot name examples because I'm not an arm-chair laser scanned track critic, but I do trust that Sector 3/KW Studios would not mess up a laser scanned track, should they go that route. Yes, laser scanning means squat if, the team working on the title cannot make a decent track to begin with. The developers of RaceRoom have proven they can get the job done, especially if you consider what API the sim is using.

Would they do it? I don't know. I just hope they can in the years (and updates) to come.

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Atlanta Motorsport Park is one of my absolute favourite tracks.
    Give it a try @ YT.
    This track LS? Insta buy..!

• Like Like x 1
  13. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
  14. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Isn't it too narrow for automobile racing?

15. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps, it's unclear to me at the moment if this track is only for karts..

16. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I looked it on a map and it's like 10-11 meters wide? It looked much more narrow than that, interesting...

17. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    LOL... perhaps it's due to the ultra-wide angle of the GoPro drastically impacting the sense of scale and depth. There must be better video on YT.

18. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    WOW!! Thanks for the great video @Wilko Jones. I agree, a big yes for me... This is an amazing circuit. I love fast elevation changes!

It reminds me of the Mont-Tremblant private circuit that F1 Aston team owner Canadian Lawrence Stroll owns. Which is another unique circuit that should be available... I drove Ferraris, Porsches, Ford GTs, Lotuses on that private circuit, and I must say, quite amazing!!

20. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    id pay double depending on the track and its importance. even just for its accuracy. just driving bathurst or monza and it feels off

• Like Like x 1