rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Which turn / sector do you mean exactly mate?

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Never mind. 1st time I watched the sound must have been mis-synced the video so it seemed like you were lifting half way down the straights.

I haven't tried rf2 for a long time. Seems like it's gaining some ground, especially now LFM have got involved. I may have to give it another go.

3. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Two new tracks announced. Now that they seem to be bringing all BTCC stuff in, I hope it will include official laser scanned Oulton Park as well. I kind of hate rF2 with all its crap, bugs, horrible UI and weird performance issues, but it's getting harder to ignore Raceroom lagging behind it in many aspects (quality of tracks included).

4. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    In the SteamWorkshop you will find a LS Oulton Park track in very descent quality.
    On my channel you will also a race arround this track.

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, apart from tall grass in the background of a couple of frames, I couldn't spot any difference in quality over, for example, R3E's Assen.

6. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I think rF2 has generally better modeling of the track surface. Maybe it's the laser scan, maybe it's FFB issue, but most RR tracks feel way too smooth and lacking some surface details compared to rF2 or iRacing.

7. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    fired up RR after few months this morning. drove Monza, Paul Ricard and Nord, got plenty of road feedback but granted with the canned effect ON (my wheel is High End belt driven)
    agreed though that RF2 is better to feedback road details without any artificial effect to be turned ON

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There is no canned road effect in raceroom

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. nolive721

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    this Immersion thing like engine, gear shift and then Bump amplification for increased feel of road/curb is a canned effect in my views

upload_2022-11-5_11-32-32.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The bump effect isnt canned as it's driven only by the physics. It's an exaggeration of some of the lower forces that's all. Canned means fake, added on top.

The others are also driven by physics and telemetry but definitely fall more towards the canned side. Those aren't to do with road feel though.

I stand by what I said. There are no canned road effects in Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to turn off the exaggeration of bumps in rF2? Coming from RR, it feels superfluous and annoying.
    I looked through the controller.json but couldn't find anything obvious.

12. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    maybe test this at zero

"Other spring coefficient":0,
    "Other spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Other spring saturation":0,
    "Other spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Rumble strip magnitude":0,

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Your reasoning is funny. Just because one game forces an effect on you without your knowledge, while the other gives you the same effect as an option, calling it what it is, you think the former is authentic, and the latter is artificial.

By the way, I think some youtubers also called those "Immersion" effects "canned" when reviewing Raceroom's new force feedback when it got released, and that may be the source of this blatant misinformation. I was also initially under that impression, but decided to try it out on my own and it was OBVIOUS that the effect is physics-driven, and the road surface is quite rich in detail, contrary to what the popular word about Raceroom says.

People should start using their own brain instead of simply parroting loud, uninformed opinions. Especially when it comes to Raceroom, people are more likely to talk out of their a** for some reason than when it comes other sims. It's quite annoying.

/rant

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Whether the effects can be called canned or not, even using them the surface detail on majority of the tracks is just lacking and they feel as smooth as baby's buttocks most of the time. Bump amplification can give you tiny FFB kick here and there, but it needs to be tuned pretty carefully before the kicks start feeling too artificial alongside the general smoothness of the road.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nolive721

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    so my reasoning is funny
    you have a Game (RF2) that dont require adjustment to feel the road details
    then you have another Game that does put a specific slider to add road details (RRE)

and you still try to demonstrate that for that particular part of the immersion in RRE, people find "funny" that they cant feel road details unless they play with the bump slider and they cant express this because RRE is the God of Sims or something?

let me ask you a question, because at least in my funny reasoning, I used concrete examples of tracks I am enjoying in RRE while bumping this slider to 100%, how do you base your judgement for defining that RRE is great to you?reading, how do you st your FFB and what tracks are your reference?
    just curious because your initial statement is rather vague and undemonstrated to me

16. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    You don't feel every single pimple and pebble in a real car. If anything, I'd say rFactor 2's road feel is artificially oversaturated. You're not running your hands over the track surface, you're running a car on a rubber tyre on suspension. But if you want to feel the former, rFactor 2 is always there to deliver, so to each their own.
    I find it funny that you call it artificial because you had to move a slider in Immersion section to turn it on. Like it's any indication.
    That's because it's not the topic of the conversation, so why would I entertain such inquiries?

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    This. If real car steering felt like rF2, you would take it to the garage because the steering column is obviously broken. I don't understand how random jolts and rattles when driving in a straight line count as "amazing FFB" for so many people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    You'd even get it towed. I don't think anyone would dare to drive it about 50 km/h.
    On a motorcycle, you'd be thrown off by lethal wobbling.

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This whole topic of road bumps and such was discussed at length and often very heatedly when the new FFB was being developed for raceroom. Some of us testers felt that it was too smooth (despite the bumps definitely being there, check your suspension telemetry) and that this would bring complaints given one of the bigger issues amongst players was that it felt flat already. However, it was the strong feeling among the physics Devs that this is a sim, and as such the FFB should reflect only the rotational forces you would actually feel through the steering column. All the immersion effects didn't exist at this point and we had to argue hard to have some of those back again. As always, not everyone will agree on what they want to feel. But it is what it is. Personally I enjoy some of the extra bumps that original AC brings, for example. I have added a shaker under my wheel, which linked to the telemetry via simhub does a good job of adding the road vibrations back onto the wheel. That won't be to everyone's taste either but there you go.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Interesting topic.
    I have to be honest I really like the laser scanned tracks in Rfactor and its force feedback which is exceptional imo.
    Rfactor was the first game I tried on my logitec cog driven wheel and it felt great even back then.

What I find interesting is not so long ago Rfactor was written off by a lot of Simracers.
    The recent LFM partnership has breathed new life into possibly the best ever Sim Racing game to date?