Question AMD Radeon 6000 series in VR

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Janos Kovacs, Jul 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is anybody out there running a Radeon RX 6900 XT or RX 6800 XT or anything 6000 series in VR?

I had multiple Nvidia gpus and had no problems with them, but recently bought a 6900 XT and its completely broken in VR. It starts and everyting but more then 30fps doesnt come out of it.

I am not complaining about dx9 performance and general stuff. The same system with same settings with a 1080ti runs fine. Also other titles are running fine with the AMD gpu. Just Raceroom in VR wont.

Am I doing somethig wrong?

2. Carlo Abarth

Carlo Abarth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Drive only with VR. Switched to AMD Radeon RX 6590 XT a week ago (had an Nvidia 3060TI). Currently I only get 45-50fps in the lowest resolution and have a high CPU load ~ 75%! Before I had medium resolution with Nvidia with ~ 90fps.... and about 12-15% CPU load..... Can't find a recipe in the Adrenalin software....Dirt Rally 2 works great with high resolution and with the Nvidia 3060TI only the lowest was possible...to make 90fps. I'm surprised that you can't find anything here about the problem of VR with AMD 6000 series graphics cards. Most of the people here use Nvidia graphics cards. Fact is that it must be related to the drivers from AMD and the old state of directx 9 in RR (there is no solution) - have already searched many hours in vain.

Attached Files:

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Remember , nvidia drivers have been over the last few years better at supporting dx9 titles than amd drivers

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carlo Abarth

Carlo Abarth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ... Dies ist jedoch keine Lösung für den Kunden, wenn Sie für den Inhalt eines Spiels bezahlen müssen, um etwas zu kaufen, das über den Startstandard hinausgeht. DirextX9 ist veraltet und Entwickler sollten inzwischen an einem höheren zeitgemäßen Standard gearbeitet haben. Sogar der uralte Accetto Corsa und Dirt Rally 2 sind TOP spielbar mit AMD 6000 Serie in VR.... Ihre indirekte Empfehlung, Nvidia zu bevorzugen, ist nicht die langfristige Lösung für Raceroom-Benutzer, AMD nicht in Betracht zu ziehen. Nvidia hat einen inakzeptablen Preistrend in Bezug auf ihre Grafikkarten und daher wird sich das Verhältnis ändern und Raceroom-Benutzer längerfristig beeinflussen. Schade, dass man das Spiel in VR mit AMD-Karten einfach nicht nutzen kann – sehr schade.

5. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The only "solution " I have found was sending back the AMD graphics card and buying NVIDIA. You have the right to do it in 2 weeks after you received it, if it's from a webshop.

The Radeon was jumping up and down in frecvencies between 200 and 1700Mhz (2.5Ghz card). It felt like it si constantly switching between power states. The GPU load was too low and the card was entering a "standby mode" then jumping back to normal and all ower again and again.
    Nvidia's solution to this is to have the GPU in full power/speed mode all the time when Oculus software is running. Yeah, that simple! I'm no expert but it can't be that hard to make the driver prevent the GPU from sleeping while VR is running, DX9 or not.

Maybe if the devs draw AMD's attention to this problem they can fix their driver.
    Maybe if we draw the devs attention first ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if You realize the severity of the problem, so with the purpose of informing:
    We are not talking about performance differences here. AMD cards does not work in VR, at all. Not even the most powerfull one with the lowest ingame settings and resolution can hit a usable fps.

7. Carlo Abarth

Carlo Abarth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am waiting and hoping for better drivers in the future (with the launch of the 7000 Series). The solution cannot be Nvidia only for Raceroom.

8. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious of other dx9 games in vr, like Richard Burns Rally or Automobilista(1) have the same issues with Radeon? (both have workarounds to run in vr and they run ok on Geforce)
    Anyway, tell us if there are news about the situation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carlo Abarth

Carlo Abarth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sent AMD a bug report with screen via AMD Adrenalin software bug report tool this evening and linked to this page.

10. Carlo Abarth

Carlo Abarth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't anyone here use an AMD Radeon of the 6000 series for VR? (6700, 6800, 6900, 6950). Does it run properly in RR? There are no reactions here...

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I for one don't, but I've read many posts on the forum complaining about AMD GPU performance in VR. Apparently, DX9 support in AMD drivers hasn't been great lately.

12. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
  13. S.R.Lemke

S.R.Lemke New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Same here, have a 6900XT + Ryzen 5900X, doesn´t work in VR (Reverb G2).
    I tought it was the ryzen 5900X not being enough, not Iḿ curious if a get a 3080 if RR would work fine on VR using that same ryzen 9.