RR in Vulkan instead of DX9 - DXVK 2.0

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by hugotwowheels, Nov 23, 2022.

1. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    This works on all somewhat modern systems. Either Google your system's compatibility with Vulkan or just update your GPU drivers and then follow the instructions below. Trying DXVK without Googling compatibility may actually be a quicker way to find out.

My system: Windows 11, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and AMD Radeon RX 6600.

Copying one single file into the x64 folder of RR increased my performance by 30-300%, depending on the situation on screen. If this is because of RR, DX9 or AMD's GPU drivers, I don't know, but considering how easy it is to try, it's worth a couple of minutes of fiddling. The largest increase came where it's needed the most - many cars on screen and FPS dipping. The performance increase is larger than what I'd get by spending hundreds of euros on hardware.

- Update your GPU drivers.

- Download DXVK here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v2.0/dxvk-2.0.tar.gz
    Main page: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

- Unpack the d3d9.dll from the x64 folder into \steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\x64\.

- Done.

If you want to "uninstall" it, just remove the .dll file or rename it.

If you want to verify that DXVK is running, create a file called "dxvk.conf" in steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\.
    Paste the following line into that file using a text editor:
    "dxvk.hud = fps,devinfo"
    If DXVK is active in RR, you'll see information about it in the top left corner.

Extra feature, if you want to cap your FPS but don't want to use RTSS, add these lines:
    "d3d9.maxFrameRate = 59"
    Or any FPS you like. I use 59 because I want VRR to be active on a 60Hz monitor.

If you got a somewhat modern system, for most games you should enable "Above 4G" and "Re-size BAR" in BIOS. In Radeon drivers, an option of "SAM" in Performance -> Tuning should appear - enable that. But it works for Nvidia as well.
    Without DXVK, this lowers my performance, but with DXVK, this increases performance very much. In most games, performance is increased.
    Edit: Without SAM, I got 35 FPS in a horror situation. With SAM, I got 93 FPS.

DXVK increases performance greatly in most if not all DX9 games. It can also be used in DX10 and DX11 games.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022