Serious slowness problems with loading with fastest computer money can buy...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Well doing this test on the day of an update isnt representative of any kind of average, its the worst case scenario (although yeah in that scenario loading times are terribly slow). If youre interested in how long it typically takes id try again in a couple days or so

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    You Europeans are just spoiled with low loading times :p

The game just loaded in 60 seconds for me and that's even a bit faster than it was in all previous years, before the new loading screen update. Considering that most of this time is spent loading/exchanging data with the main server, I'd say 80-90 seconds in Australia is somewhat expected.

What class and track, BTW? How many AI?

3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    May well be :D
    But still update days are regularly if not always a lot worse than regular days. If you knew beforehand that after x amount of loading time itll be good to go then it wouldnt be an issue for me either but theres no guarantee youll ever make it to the main menu or when loading a session it might load for a couple minutes and then suddenly put you back in the menu. Ive had update days where i spent half an hour til i finally got onto the track which isnt really great regardless of where youre from :D

4. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Envy, if I don't use VPN, then I need at least 5 minutes. 2 minutes after use:D

5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Just to add how things are going for me today (from germany). 30 seconds from starting the game to being in the main menu and 50 seconds to start a practice session with 73 ai around nürburgring 24h layout (which is a session thats probably among those thatd usually take the most time). Maybe @Maskerader can say how that compares to his experiences as a non european :D

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Session loading times heavily depend on how many different car models are loaded (liveries too, but to a much less extent), I guess you mean GT3 cars, and with such a high number of AIs it's safe to assume the vast majority of GT3 cars end up loaded. It took 133 seconds.

BTW, the game launched in 70 seconds, from clicking a button in Steam to seeing the main menu.

7. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

90 seconds is fast, can take 3 to 5 minutes for me, i think 80% of the hours i have in steam on this game are spent waiting for it to load, sometimes i forget i was going to play it, load up AMS2 or ACC, and im already driving when i hear the theme music of r3e kick in in the background.

on teh upside it means you have ample time to remember ot start crewchief, simbhub and make a nice cup of tea before it loads..

8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Didnt know the composition of the grid also matters, in my case it actually was a custom grid consisting of roughly 30 gt3 (think 8 different models) and 8-10 each of carrera cup endurance, m235i, cayman trophy, opel astra tcr and that vln audi tt. No duplicate liveries in the whole field. But as a general comparison your numbers will do (for me anyways), certainly slower but within what id find acceptable

9. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I am in Japan and its 6PM local time

90s to reach the in Game menu and 25s for loading a GT3 practice session with 35cars

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    This sounds way too fast. You sure the number is correct?

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  11. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    checked 3 times
    same class and car model, practice session not Race

12. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    ok so on my machine I tested the same scenario

- Boot the game,
    - select a porsche in the menus,
    - select bathurst in the menus,
    - set a mode with no other vehicles (so cannot affect load times)
    - time it till i can drive the vehicle away.

All games installed on same NVME / Samsung 980 evo.
    All games loading to triple screen, only middle screen recorded.
    Location Sydney Australia.
    91.3Down and 18.6Up to Server in SYD at time of test.

I used OBS studio and an OBS based timer (it cannot be messed with its baked into the video)

The load time in R3E is not just slower, its orders of magnitude slower than the fastest loading game.

(going from slowest to fastest below)

R3E ~ 198s to track

iRacing ~107s to track

rF2 ~93s to track

AMS2 ~69s to track

ACC ~48s to track

AC ~38s to track.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
  13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, then it means that if you're aren't suffering from connection issues, R3E loading times are actually normal or even good. One GT3 car at Bathurst loaded in 22 seconds for me...

14. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    never faster than 3 minutes for me and sometimes slower than 5 minutes. the diff between the 3 and 5 minute loads are presumably network issue, the rest is just that its, well. slow.

15. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Or different .. you are loading in r3e through various web pages (hence the allways online aspect)and various handshakes , a couple of things get downloaded etc , so comparing loading times to games that have everything you need on yor hd or ssd isnt really comparing two things that are alike

Andi

16. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    so the track and cars are not already on my hard drive?

17. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Yes they are but other stuff isnt , its not big stuff / car physics etc , just it all goes through handshakes and checks ,
    Any chancev you have loads of replay files ?
    If so try moving them to another folder and test your load time after

Andi

18. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps an offline menu system is going to be better long term? I understand some delay in the load per car/track if its grabbing latest phys etc, but in my case the slow part is before that. it takes 2 ~ 4minutes just to get past the splash screen some days and then slow navigating between menus ingame too.

Re the replays, there werent many, i deleted them, and saw in total a marginal increase in load time to track, 182s vs 198s but i think its was the initial load to get past splash screen that was a bit faster this time.

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Wait, you measure all the time from starting the game to driving. 22 seconds for me was only loading the car and the track. If I measure it like your do, that's about 100 seconds (70 seconds till the main menu and the rest is clicking stuff and loading the car and track).

For the reference of "normal" loading times I would use what Nico Kunze gets, so like 30 seconds till the main menu, and everything above that I would treat as "network issue" (unless you genuinely have a very slow PC/slow disk). Offline menus wouldn't change much, because from my understanding the problem is not the menus loading, at least not when you aren't actually in the menus.

All data is stored on your disk, but almost all of it is encrypted, so at the very least your game needs to authenticate the player and receive decryption data from the main server for all content that is used in your racing session. Plus, my guess is some security measures require an exchange of very time-sensitive data, that's why the further you are from the main server the more attempts are needed to properly complete these steps.

20. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Not all data is on the disk , car physics , certain track elements are loaded from the servers

Andi

• Informative Informative x 1