Problem Ai feedback

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nico Kunze, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    One immersion breaking issue for me is how tight the race pack tends be, and how artifically the tightness is preserved.

I.e. I've just completed a 20minutes race on Red Bull ring, in Mazdas, end even after that time, the race pack was basically one big snake with exact same pace.

The most glaring issue is how the pace changes, for any car, if it falls behind the pack, i.e. because of a spin. Suddenly the AI is able to drive even 2 second faster than the lead car, doesn't matter if the car was previously 3rd or 23rd... as soon as any car falls behind, it magically becomes the fastest car on the track, by an insane margin. Until it catches the pack... then the pace dissapears and it is back to the general pack pace.

In addition to be very immersion breaking, it also means that it is very hard to have meaningful fights outside of the main pack. Becasue all of the cars suddenly gain 2+seconds on pace, and leave you in the dust.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Madza MX5 at Portimao GP, 19 opponents, 104 skill, 4 laps.
    1) Each lap several cars oversteer in or after T7 and many of those can't recover and spin out.
    2) AI are a bit slow exiting T3 and coming into and out of T5. A bit too fast in T15.

Autodromo_do_Algarve_F1_Sectors.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Thanks

Andi

4. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I had a race yesterday at Brands Hatch GP and for most part AI were good, managed to battle to the front and lead for 3 laps until on the last lap when I got rear ended at speed turning into Druids, totally out of the blue, he was never going to make the turn....thinking maybe it was due to a brake lock up, can that happen to AI? o_O
    Seems that generally the AI are really good but then it seems one can go rogue and do something out of whack!

5. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Ai do make mistakes when under pressure , they arent perfect

Andi

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, when in Practice Mode and using >100% skills, the AI behavior is truly amazing IMHO, definitely top-tier across all the sims out there (mistakes, fighting back, leaving room, etc...)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TinMan

TinMan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I have some more AI issues to report on different tracks. I set up a 6 event GT4 championship with 106% AI, driving the M4. The problem is the AI pace (too fast or too slow or both) - so far I've done 3 events:
    Ningbo full no chicane
    AI is slow in all braking zones, through slow corners and especially in the fast chicane (T13/14) before the hairpin (T15). Here they brake too much aproaching the chicane and their line is not direct enough, making them even slower. I could consistently prepare an attack through this chicane and into hairpin even if quite far aback, essentially dive bombing rudely because of the speed difference. On the contrary they were very fast through the final left/right/left (T19-21) combination where they would gain back some of the time lost elsewhere. If they were anywhere close to me through this final 3 corners I'd get crashed/punted off by them almost every time. I guess they were repaying me for my rude dive bombs :confused: Generally AI laptimes were slower about 0.5-0.8sec per lap
    Shanghai WTCC layout:
    Here AI was noticeably fast out of T12+13 (double apex opening corner before back straight), gaining 1-1.5 sec on the straight, but quite slow through T1 braking for T2 (with a very wide line that I could exploit quite comfortably), through T2 & 3 combo, T4 and T15. Fastest AI laptimes in general were otherwise comparable to my times or maybe a tad slower, therefore acceptable for 106 %.
    Twin ring Motegi road layout
    This one is a mess of too fast AI (for 106%) and very strict track limits for player in some corners.
    AI is quite fast through T3 & accelerating out of T4 (here I could follow only with perfect execution-if not=insta spin or lap invalidation from going wide). They are fast, often crash into each other and player or spin in T5 (before the tunel). They take a very long line through T7 but are also very fast there, while I had my laps invalidated due to track limits abuse, trying to follow their pace by using the green inside the corner but keeping the outer wheel on the tarmac. Same track limits issue for player in T9 and last turn (T13?) where one has to go the long way around to avoid lap invalidation loosing further. Also on this track there was a very noticeable AI pace difference in first 2 laps after start and later-first the slower cars were slower than me and I could fight them in T1/2, braking for T3 or maybe T10, gaining a place or two. After we spread out a couple of laps into the race their pace picked up to the point I wasn't competitive to any car and just lost places. Also, their qualifying pace here is too fast, I was dead last approx. 1 sec or so behind last AI. Maybe they were still pissed by my dive bombs at Ningbo?? o_O
    Oh, and one more general observation: AMGs tend to be on front, bimmers middle pack, R8s at the back on all 3 tracks, mixed with other cars.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  8. sprawl1ng

sprawl1ng New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been racing offline at Silverstone GP and the AI consistently crashes at maggots&becketts. I have also experienced a similar situation at Imola. I tried with GT3 RSR and Tatuus with similar AI spins.

I thought it was an adaptive AI problem but after posting about this on the reddit R3E forum I also tried it at AI 90, 95 and 100 with some of the AI spinning out and/or crashing on the first laps at 95 and 100.

These tests were all with MX-5s, 12 AI drivers and me starting at P13 and hanging back.

Is there a recent bug causing this?

9. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Will check , in the mean time you can try deleting your ai file or moving it
    Its somewhere in the docs/my games/ simbin ......... folder
    Andi

10. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Will check , in the mean time you can try deleting your ai file or moving it
    Its somewhere in the docs/my games/ simbin ......... folder
    Andi

11. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again for the feedback, this topic continues to be very useful.

Had anyone noticed any bits of track at any circuit where AI make repeatedly dangerous overtaking moves which often cause crashes?

12. blgk

blgk Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Mistral and DMD P2 have problems at the first turn of Watkins Glen. Ride height seems too low for the kerbs.
    Thanks!

13. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
  14. sampopel

sampopel Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    T1 at Suzuka in the F4 Tatuus - i did 3 races in a row (starting from the back) and the AI always had a big crash at T1.

All 3 races with AI at 100%.

2 races were 30 AI cars (all F4 Tatuus)
    1 race was 22 x F4 Tatuus and 10 x F3.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  15. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I also did a few races on Suzuka, against one AI opponent, GT4 Merc (I think it was at 106 skill), and it was pretty common for it to lose the rear or spin out on lap 1 in between T1 and T2 when it had a compromised line because I was very close or side by side. Sometimes it also happened in T14 but it was never so bad as to end up in a spin.

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  16. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Be good if you put the number of ai and the % in your reports

Andi

17. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I noticed this thing that honestly makes offline races difficult to enjoy

Basically every single race (touring cars but also single seaters) ends with no gap between the leader and the other cars... lots of times with a fotofinish sprint

exciting at first, boring after... especially because this is due to the leader slowing down... every AI car when in front goes slower and the others catch up... this means that fighting for wins isn't anymore that challenging

there's a solution? it's always been like that? I remember the same problem in Race07, the grand pa of this game

ps (I play with no adaptive AI, I adjust the difficulty in every circuit... over 105 in most of times, but this just happens every time)

18. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I cannot confirm that. I had 4 races Yesterday and several more last weekend and could not see any slow downs of any AI driver.

19. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's surprising... I've had a full championship with WTCC TC1 cars, and in every race there was no gap between the 1st and 2nd car... Couple of races in WTCR and happened the same
    So i tried lots of other categories (F3, Indycar, DTM) and every time the leader wasn't able to create a gap... so I have a total of something like 30 races in a row where this happened

Also, the 15th or 16th cars in the standings (after I did regular qualifying) were faster in pace than the leader... meaning he's slowing down

So, I'm pretty sure that's a real problem
    deleting my aiadaptation file changed nothing

20. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    or hes got a little damage
    or they got a nice tow at some point , its over one lap .... we see it in f1 where the 10th guy gets the fastest lap
    Andi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.