Problem Ai feedback

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nico Kunze, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nope, that's a thing of the game and it's a real problem

Then if it's impossible or too difficult to be solved I get it... but the problem is there: the leader can't go full pace and create a gap, nearly all the races finish with a fight till the last corner

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    I think your wrong in how you looking at this , if the first few drivers are pretty equal in there settings then they wont pull a gap etc they will end up running close for the whole session , i have races where there are tight gaps in the top 3 or 4 , and quite often i finish in that group so why didnt i pull a gap as i was ahead ?
    Or i finish 9th or tenth with the fastest lap ?

Andi

3. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sure, but it's not realistic if every time (every time) the leader doesn't pull away... he slows down and makes easier for the cars behind to catchup

there's an easy way you can understand this: start a race with u in second place... let the leader pull away while slowing down the others, when there's a gap between 5-10 seconds retire and watch the race from the pits
    you'll see that leader will be caught in a few laps, maybe overtaken... and then they will go together till the finish line

to me, that's unrealistic and ruins the joy of offline championships

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    1) AIs slow down quite significantly when there are other cars around. I assume it's because they fight and defend and it compromises their lines. Probably that's why you sometimes see drivers way down the order doing the fastest laps.
    2) AI doesn't have any strategy in qualifying, they all go out on track one after the other and start grinding laps. If a faster driver ends up behind a slower one, they have a big chance not to show their real pace, so the P1 driver might not be the fastest driver in the race and it would be hard for them to make a gap.

5. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's all true... BUT, if the fastest AI car find himself in 1st position with a 10 seconds gap, it will slow down and get reached from whoever is behind

That's how this game (now) works... Everyone can try if don't believe me

6. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Your also assuming that the ai doesnt have occasional brain farts , makes mistakes etc
    Which they do

Andi

7. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's not about mistakes... I watched the races from the pit... AI in front just slows down, no brain farts... it's systematic

who is front gets overtaken
    and then he overtakes the new leader who slows
    and then gets overtaken because he slows

that's every offline race

8. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You could be a rich guy if you put bets on this. You know on forehand whom is gonna whin. :D

9. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    no you can't... it's casual, some car find himself second in the last lap and try to win in the last corner... no sense at all in that

10. blgk

blgk Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  11. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    I assume itd be quite a bit of work but would it be possible for the user to choose whether the ai runs the default setup or a low downforce type setup?
    Did my first race in the dpi yesterday around daytona using the setup im used to which is lower downforce than default and that made things very unimmersive (ai overall was too slow even on 120, on the straights it almost felt like i was in a different class to the other dpis and the gt3 ai were doing 1:45s while running high downforce meaning they were way quicker in the corners than youd expect a car of that class to be) but i also dont really enjoy running the default high downforce setup on tracks like daytona or monza.
    Getting by slower class cars on the bankings still seems to be very difficult for the ai as well. Perhaps having the standard line for the ai on the banking be the low one would make things a little easier

Also not strictly ai related but could the spawn location for a rolling race start at daytona be moved closer to the start/finish line? As it is you have to sit through 90 seconds of your car going 60kph with the added pain of losing 4-5% of tyre life before the race even starts

12. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Can i get your laptimes as this seems off

Andi

13. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    My best race lap in that 25 minute race was around 35.5. Out of the 11 dpi ai maybe 3 had a best lap in the low 36s but a lot of them only had low 37s (although from around the halfway point onwoards they had 35ish gt3 cars to pass so their fastest laps will have been during the opening phase, mine was towards the end when i was in clean air again but the dpi ai never fully got to that point).

14. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Thanks , that confirms its off,

Ill report it to alex

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Reported , being looked at

Andi

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Update on the AI race pace problems.

As I already explained, in a normal race the AI leader of the race slows down allowing the other cars to catchup. That's bad, but there's another problem.

If you simulate a multi-class race (gt3 and gt4 or P1 and P2) you will notice that the fastest class will still behave as normal, and his leader will slow down... BUT the slowest class will behave totally differently in the racepace creating another big problem:

Basically they will start driving even faster than in qualifying, even 2 seconds faster in a 2 minute circuit... the game try a sort of an impossible catchup between the 2 categories with the leaders of the P2 category lapping unbelievable times.

That's bad too.

Hope in a fix.

17. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Cannot confirm that at all. As soon as the leader has some distance to second place car, he laps quicker than the battle pack. Just like IRL. A minor issue is only that a battle pack slows each other down a little bit too much for my gusto.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. P. Smorzalo

P. Smorzalo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The leader slows down, try again, pay attention amd let us know.

19. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Now took the dpi to road america and if the ai fully delivered itd be an endurance racing match made in heaven.
    My first experience however wasnt quite that. First tried a practice session against just 11 dpi at 111 strength and on pace was around 9/12. Decided to go for 110 strength for a 35 minute race against 11 dpi and 35ish gt3 and all of a sudden im easily the fastest car on track even though i was on hard tires and the ai were on mediums, ended up winning by 45 seconds (a lot of which of course being due to traffic management) with 3rd place already over a minute behind.. . Best race lap for me was a low 50 while most ai were in the 51s but despite that they were gaining like 1.1s through the carousel which isnt ideal for immersion :D. They were also veery fast through turn 6 but lost quite a bit in turn 5.
    This race also had me wondering if the ai run engine map 5 during the race or if they treat that as a quali only map because while i was running a couple clicks less wing than standard i wouldnt expect that alone to lead to such big straight line speed differences.
    Another thing was that in both the practice session and the race one particular dpi was a lot slower than any of the others, at least 2 seconds per lap. It was the mostly yellow car driven by some french driver, maybe something in their talent file has them hating road america :D

Attached Files:

20. BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    20 mins into a GT2 race at Hungaroring, there is a car suddenly slowing down before me around turn 4. I pass. In the entry of turn 5, I see a car standing across the track. I carefully pass. Then I'm told to give back position. The car I have passed first and which has slowed down unnecessary too much, is nowhere behind. In order to give back that position, I would need to stop for considerable time, perhaps wasting 5-10 sec on a spin far ahead of me.

So I hesitate. Stop and go. Open Steam, force quit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.