Question Can crowds be disabled to help with the highly frustrating FPS drop on many tracks?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by VFX Pro, Feb 1, 2023.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Is there any .ini .cfg, etc.. where we can disable crowds? or can crowds be set not receive or cast shadows?

I have an RTX 3090 running at 3840x1080 with many settings set to low and yet, I still drops 20 fps in many tracks if when track details are set to medium. The only thing I can see that is created the impact is the crowd.

Turning off "shadows" helps quite a bit, but then everything else looks bad and "floaty".

I wish there was a settings called "Crowds" on/off vs disable so many other track detrails, like trees, etc.
    DX 9 is showing its age, big time...or whomever is in charge of track optimizations has missed the mark on quite a few tracks. :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    As I have just discovered, GTR4 cars seem to be one of the worst for stuttering/ fps drops? With track objects, it could be things like grandstands that maybe have high levels of transparent textures? Changing track detail from high to medium didn't really make much difference for me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Changing track details to low (which hides important trees, etc..) and changing the shadows to low or none made a huge impact, but now the game looks like hell. There is something wrong with grandstands/crowds in certain tracks. Perhaps, there is a reflective material on the grandstands, or all crowd objects receives and cast shadows, the resolution of the grandstands is way to high, etc... Chinese tracks and Moscow seems to be showing this problem. I just with RRE would acknowledge the issue and confirm someone is looking into it since it has been reported many times.

4. Rowan Unning

Rowan Unning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
  5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Being able to turn crowd off can also help with immersion when you're in solo practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think from memory back in AMS1, the crowds at practice and qualifing sessions were never full, only on race day was it full crowds?

7. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The atmosphere in Raceroom does work like that to a certain extent. You're only hearing crowd sounds in qualifying and race sessions, but not in practice sessions.

8. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    After spending many hours testing different graphic settings, I'm now able to have track details to high, bloom, High shadows, etc... The one parameter that fixed all the FPS dropping/stuttering issue was to turn Mirrors Quality to low.

• Informative Informative x 1