DirectX 9 CPU Benchmark Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Jul 22, 2019.

1. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for pointing this out @sgauge I've only had the PC since the day before yesterday. It's a DELL XPS, so it's pre-configured because I don't like to tinker around and don't know much about hardware... I did indeed notice the timings, but as I said, I have no idea how and to which values I can change them... I didn't really look at the resolution correctly, so I'll run the test again and correct my post - hopefully with better RAM timings, too.

Oli

2. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    @BeefMcQueen In the cpu-z see the SPD tab where u can see the XMP profile (speed and timings) of your RAM modules.
    If the XMP is faster then the speed/timings u have now, then u can change the system to work on the XMP thru the BIOS

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Seems there's no XMP support. All I have is this:

[​IMG]

Also the BOIS shows no option to alter any RAM settings. This might just be a restriction by DELL rather intending to deliver a system for solid 24/7 use instead of one trimmed performing at the edge? Not sure. I can perfectly live with that, since it has plenty of power and doesn't drop below 120fps with everything maxed out @1440p and 47 opponents at Nordschleife in Raceroom. But thanks again @Nir Tal and @sgauge for your input.

Oli

4. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Yes, branded PCs are a bit weird :)
    We thought you have a bit of extra performance just waiting to be unleashed with a simple BIOS change, but apparently we were wrong..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Did a couple of tests just to see if the results are consistent.

Benchmark Test 1
    Benchmark test 1.PNG

Benchmark Test 2
    Benchmark test 2.PNG

6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In addition to my post above, hence that this test is based on the following settings in nvidia control panel:
    Image settings set to: Let the 3D application decide and PhysX Settings set to : GPU
    I understand that some of you have custom configured settings for maximum performance whilst I prefer nice and smooth beautiful graphics with solid FPS performance. Not a fan of having grainy or compromised graphics if that makes sense.

7. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Is the CPU overclocked ? and ur memory speed is way too low for DDR4. Did u change anything in the BIOS related to the memory ?

8. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    XMP profile was active in this benchmark run/when u took the cpu-z screenshot ?
    If it was, then it might be ok - the reading in cpu-z can be confusing.
    Anyway, check the CPU temp when benchmark run. Best tool to check that is with HWInfo, where u can also see the cores freq when benchmark run - might be that CPU is throttling bcz of high temps

• Like Like x 1
  9. SimonWhitehead

SimonWhitehead New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ;)Thanks for the info I will try that out tomorrow and let you know and yes profile was active on test

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    My DDR4 is at 3200MHz also and 7700k at 5GHz and getting well above his score, like double, something seems off bad.

Attached Files:

11. SimonWhitehead

SimonWhitehead New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm yes something strange is going on :confused: just ran the test with the same settings but with DX11 and was getting over 350 FPS ... Any ideas anyone ?

12. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    As some have already mentioned, it could be a CPU temperature issue. Get some kind of monitoring software like HWInfo if you don't have it already and see what's going on while you run it. Maybe have a look at your windows power plan too, maybe it's just staying at very low clocks all the time.

13. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    • CPU OC: Stock
    • Memory: 64GB DDR4-3200 MHz Dual
    • Memory timings: CL16-18-18-38
    • GPU: AMD RX6800
    2021-05-24 23_24_12-Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 Basic (Direct3D9).png 2021-05-24 23_25_46-CPU-Z.png

14. AndreasAUT

AndreasAUT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok finally, I did the benchmark too. And I have to admit, I needed another try to realize, I have to press "benchmark" after starting this FPS test :confused: but now its all good :D.

PS: Wow, when I compare my score to otherĀ“s, it looks like ( well I guess ) the low CL on Ram will help a lot for the hunt of FPS :D

PPS:
    I dont know its a new Windows feature but I found following option under Win10:
    Under "Display", use the last option "graphic settings" - I activated the "hardware accelerated gpu planning" ( sorry, im translating from german to english :D ). Benefit should be that the GPU is managing Ram instead of the System, so you should get better FPS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  15. mikeymr

mikeymr New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    • CPU OC: Stock
    • Memory: 48GB DDR4-3600 MHz Dual
    • Memory timings: CL16-18-18-38
    • GPU: 3080Ti

Attached Files:

16. Norbi930523

Norbi930523 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Recently I upgraded from an 1360x768 monitor and a GTX 460 SE GPU to a Full HD monitor and GTX 1660 Ti, and I was sad to see that R3E is laggy.
    I've read many posts and articles (including this topic), but still haven't managed to solve the problem, so I hope that maybe you notice something that I don't.

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600
    CPU OC: Stock
    Memory: 8GB DDR4-2400 MHz
    Memory timings: CL16-16-16-39-421-2T
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (specifically MSI GEFORCE GTX 1660 TI VENTUS XS 6G OC)

Display: 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz on Desktop, in the game I changed it to 60 Hz.

nVidia Driver: 471.96 (released at the end of August). Tried lots of different drivers (uninstall driver with DDU in Safe Mode, reboot without Internet connection, install driver), but didn't really change anything.

In nVidia Control Panel, I have set Prefer maximum performance / Adaptive, but doesn't really make a difference.

GPU overclocked using MSI Afterburner, adding +130 MHz to Core Clock and +400 MHz to Memory clock (beyond this, MSI Kombustor crashes).

BIOS updated to latest - there was one update that said: Improved NVME device compatibility. It did improve a little bit, at least I can sometimes get good scores in Unigine, but most of the time it's pretty bad (see screenshot).
    There were a few times when I ran Unigine, it started with good FPS and then it dropped and then it never comes back.

Also installed DirectX 9.0c, as I read somewhere that Windows might not have the latest version of files. It brought some temporary improvement, but nothing more. (Although at this point I'm having doubts if these are really temporary improvements or just pure coincidence :D )

I'm running R3E on low graphics, mirrors on.

Just out of curiosity, tested PC2 too, I get 120 FPS there.

One thing I did NOT try is reinstalling Windows.

I also attached screenshots from the MSI Afterburner monitor showing GPU and CPU usage while running the Unigine benchmark.

Thank you for any tips / ideas,
    Norbert

Attached Files:

17. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Afterburner and rivatuner itself causes all sorts of issues for the game. Disable/uninstall it and you will probably get your performance back.

18. Nir Tal

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Looks like your RAM is the bottleneck. how many memory sticks u have ? 1 or 2 ?

19. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Might be a silly suggestion but it came up a couple of times with our guys who were getting low FPS, do you have Windows power plan on Max Performance?

20. Norbi930523

Norbi930523 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Damn :D Uninstalled them, nothing changed, restarted the PC, everything is smooth :D I don't want to celebrate too soon, but I've looked at a few (10?) replays and even the worst tracks are smooth.

@Nir Tal I have one 8 GB RAM module. What did you see on the screenshots that makes you think the RAM might be a bottleneck?

@RWB Charger Yes, I have Windows Power Plan on Max Performance.

Thank you all :)