Resolved DTM 2020 undriveable since December update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Speedo, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    This change doesn't affect me personally (I never use extreme values), but now I'm also confused and frustrated by KW studio's reaction. "Nah, it's fine" and "it's irrelevant" even though there was obviously a change - why the secrecy? What are patchnotes for if not to inform players of changes?

@Alex Hodgkinson Are you aware that drivetrain oscilations are listed under "Sound improvements" section in the patchnotes? Maybe that's where the misunderstanding comes from?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I have not investigated this to any great extent yet.

My suspicion is that an update which I made in the spring and I believed was shared to you all in summer time may of in fact not been applied until this week.

For total transparency the date stamp and contents of it are as follows:

upload_2022-12-16_16-8-27.png
    Followed by a differential adjustment a few weeks later.

If this is indeed the case, the biggest issue from my point of view is that it's taken so many months for it to go live.

Either way the cars in the live game on default setup are right now behaving as intended.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    In that case, the easiest tell of it going live would be tyre life - those running longer races should know if the tyres could last more than half an hour.

4. Speedo

Speedo Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson
    Thank you a lot for taking up the topic.

I can confirm that at least these 2 changes have been definitely rolled out by end of May:
    - Equalized front/rear tyre wear
    - Reduced tyre wear...
    I still clearly remember the changed car behavior during end of our previous racing saison.

5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    While that may be good to know as well i think itd be more interesting to know how long tires lasted the last few weeks to see if anythings changed on that end. Ive done a few 40 minute races this summer but always with a pit stop so personally cant really comment on that tho

6. Speedo

Speedo Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is what I buy in.
    But why is the behavior with my competition setups is now so bad?
    This looks not very plausible to me still.
    (previously all setup changes have been very plausible indeed)

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    If you post the setup, we can test it out. Nothing to hide if it is not working, right?

8. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Dug a little deeper, seems like the differential change which happened back in May did indeed only just go live. The rest of the list I posted up there was already in the game.

Sorry about that, it flew under the radar.

What changed? Power and coast locking percentages.

Why did it change? That would be because some new data landed in front of me and I adjusted accordingly.

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Why are we not able to adjust power and coast in all cars with LSDs? I remember there was a time the DTM 92 BMW and Mustang didn´t have that option while the Merc and Opel did and now they all do. It is quite useful to adjust them track by track especially for those if us with digital devices who have issues with traction on non TC cars. I´d love to have it on the Gr5s, for instance and those surely didn´t have open diffs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  10. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It's not allowed by the series regulations in a lot of classes.

Adjustable differentials weren't used in anything other than F1 until the mid 80s, hence not adjustable in Gr5. They're all off the shelf 80 of 90% locked on both power and coast side.

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough but the engine braking setting is now on all or almost all cars and not sure that is a thing in real life. It´s more of an assist to help overcome the differences between input devices where you can´t heel and toe, right?

12. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Engine braking reduction is an easy one - it's just increasing the amount of throttle that's still applied when the foot is off the throttle. Easy to do in any car, even your own road car if you so wished to.

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, so the fact it is in the game is more to help those of us who don´t use pedals or elephants who do so an adjustable LSD would also be beneficial even if it isn´t on the all the cars.

Going back to the DTM20, I spent 20 mins with the BMW at Red Bull Ring on the leaderboard as that seems close to Interlagos in layout and lap times and tyre wear and temp variables are eliminated. Default setup time was low 1.24 after 2 clean timed laps. I then used my Assen leaderboard setup to get a 1m23 and did a little more tweaking of gear ratios and aero and ended up in the low 1.22s. That´s 2.3 secs off the world record and I reckon I could easily do a 1m21 with a little more practice and work on suspension and ride height to ride the kerbs better.

Regarding driveability, if I go below wing 16 then the car gets unsettled and will want to spin but otherwise it seemed fine. I have to be careful on acceleration out of the hairpins to avoid breaking traction but at normal speeds no issues. If anyone wants to try my setup, DM me. I can´t see why anyone with a decent rig wouldn´t be able to manage the car and go much faster than I do unless they are using an extremely aggressive setup that wouldn´t work in real life anyway.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You can't just add an adjustable LSD because you fancy one. If it isn't there in the real car you don't get it in game.

15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    1 they magically appeared on the BMW and Ford DTM 92s
    2 adustable engine braking reduction is not on all real cars but we have it in the game as a covert driving assist
    Engine Braking Reduction:

This is something we always had to tinker with behind the scenes. The real power of this became apparent when we started to look at dialling out some tricky behaviours from some of our cars. Namely the off-throttle any-speed unrecoverable spins, also known as instabins. Some of us rarely had any trouble with such behaviour whereas others were very vocal. It turned out those who had little issue with it were naturally keeping a little bit of throttle applied at corner entry to keep the car stable. Those who regularly spun were completely off the accelerator pedal on entry.

This lead us to realise that some drivers would benefit from a little bit of throttle being applied in order to reduce the engine braking and keep the car stable, even when they were not pressing their actual pedal. We also realised that would not suit everybody as agility is sacrificed. Thus the answer was to make it adjustable and that's when this slider was conceived.

my request could be called a digital input traction vectoting assist or something like that so as not to offend the purists.
    3 if you don´t ask you don´t get - it´s Christmas!

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Why do you think that? I'm having a hard time imagining a race car where you can't adjust idle revs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  17. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Yes, it is. That was the entire justification of allowing it to be adjusted.

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Honestly I see no difference with any other setup option that results in a more stable behavior under certain conditions. From my point of view, a driving assist is something that dynamically affects your inputs, and this isn't one, it's just a static limit on low revs.

19. Speedo

Speedo Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Alex for this info.
    Helped a lot to understand what was going on.

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes but my point was not technical but the principle of the matter. It was done to help some drivers balance their cars and overcome a particular physics trait of the game. If we don´t like the comparison then there are loads more like invisible halo, auto clutch and so on.

Also, I am watching this video as I feel veryy ignorant about how a car can have adjustable differential preload but not power and coast.