Grid Size on Server

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by RWB Audi, May 24, 2022.

1. RWB Audi

RWB Audi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    Just a simple question regarding grid sizes on MP races, since some of the tracks allow for bigger grids in the SP mode, like the VLN layout, is there a possibility to get the grid size on MP increased to a number higher than 36.
    I would think that the hardware in use today, and also bandwidth should be able to handle it.

If not possible, I would be interested in knowing what is the limiting factor.

Thank you, and I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, tried a search, but couldn't find any hits.

BR
    RWB Audi

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Not possible. Would more than likely require a complete re write of the netcode. Agree it would be great for events such as the N24 but other than that it's hardly needed.

3. RWB Audi

RWB Audi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Appreciate the answer, and I don't fully agree on hardly needed, our club runs 50 car grid sizes on ACC regularly, and we could easily filled a bigger grid on special occasions in R3E too. But, if there's a hardcoded limit in the server software, fair enough. I still would love to see bigger grids though, specially since R3E is the one sim that actually has a proper netcode, that lets you do proper close and clean racing.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well I say hardly meaning it would not get used 99% of the time so the effort to do it may not be worth it. The vast majority of servers do not fill now anyway. Also it may be the case that the netcode is good because there is a limit, but that's conjecture.

5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Can you race as close as R3E with that number ? Just interested...as I dig deeper into ACC atm.

6. RWB Audi

RWB Audi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, not as close as R3E, thats why I would love to see bigger grids in here. You can rub a bit, but slight touches have a tendency of rocketing one or both cars out of control