OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Mantii

Mantii New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted this over at RD as well. All I am getting is the flat screen projection inside the theater room with the CV1. Any ideas?

2. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It might be hardware related and not trying to be different but I run mine at -vr 2.5 from sim commander and it is clear, not perfect but clear. Now at 2.5 the HMD is a little laggy but when you look straight ahead and race it smooths out. Only laggy when you turn your head side to side.

3. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0

Do you have a tick for Asyn Reprojection? I had the cinema screen when it was unticked.

4. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Is there an ingame head reset button that can be mapped?

5. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy, the feedback to VR support is so positive. It shows the possibilities of s3s.;)
    But please don't forget support for us oldfashioned tripplescreenies.:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Untick theater mode in properties.

7. museumsteve

museumsteve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    There is a VR position reset option that can be mapped to a button. It's in secondary functions, maybe two thirds of the way down the list

8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Imo this is not so realistic. We can already see that VR stresses the CPU a lot. Dx9 has no ways to accelerate rendering multiple views whatsoever. It also doesn't support threading, so you are bound to render everything on a single core N times.

While s3s can prepare the render jobs in their own encoding on multiple threads, sending will always be on one.

If you think of culling (filtering what is not visible) then VR can get away with doing this once for both eyes, as they point in same direction etc. For angled screens this would be vastly different.

They ought to invest in dx11 at least some day. Or bring in ue4...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    For sure you've got a better knowledge in this subjekt.
    Though my hope isn't lost at all because of the comment of @J-F Chardon in last dev stream or within the according thread.
    @J-F Chardon, will some prayers to the allmighty simgod be heard?:rolleyes:

10. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    It works but the performance is awefull eventhough i have a pc that should run this much much better than it currently is.

At the back of the grid with 20 cars and 2.0 rendering i'm getting around the 30fps in VR. The strange thing is that at those settings my GPU and CPU loads are around 50%. Also this is the first game that doesn't activate the boost function of my 1080 GTX. It stays at 1782 while normally the boost goes up to 2088.

[​IMG]des photos

11. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I tried it this morning for some minutes and it worked.
    Just one question: is there a possibility yet to move the HUD elements around, back and forth? From what I have seen the speedometer is just to far in the back. Also I noticed corner markers in VR, though I've switched them off in the options.

Edit: are the corner markers related to the difficulty mode and are switched on/off automatically? I tried it with keyboard this morning because I had no time to install my wheel and set the difficulty to novice so that I could just drive around with not worrying too much about controls. If yes, then there’s no issue.

12. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    So i'm not the only one. Tested this with the Oculus debug tool and Fps in menus are capped at 60.
    Makes the game unfortunately unplayable for me at the moment.

13. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Forgot one Bug from last night:

I turned Trackside Animations Off yet flags and other trackside animations were still working.

14. oliver.johann

oliver.johann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am using an Oculus Rift with a i5 2500k, GTX 980 and it runs pretty good on lower-medium settings, 14 AI opponents, with "-vr 2.0" parameter. The Oculus Rift debug tool shows that it runs constant at 45 fps, so asynchronous spacewarp is kicking in and gives a smooth picture. The HUD and the menu screen when the track is loaded on the other hand are choppy, so I had to disable the HUD.
    All in all, good job sector3. Finally I can play RRE again.

15. Tortue G

Tortue G Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I tested RRRE with VR last night (quickly), and it's a good first step.

First, if I launch Steam VR first and RRRE after, the game don't run, it show the start screen in steam VR theater, and stop...
    If I close Steam VR, and launch the game (with steam interface), it launch steam VR automatically, and it works, I can go in the game. A bit tricky, but when we know this, it's OK ;).

With VR we can appreciate the models, cockpits are globally not as good than Assetto Corsa, and the pilots arms and legs are "minimalist", but it's not so bad, and the tracks are looking very good ! More sharpest visuals and more "alive" than AC :).

About performance, it's not perfect but good actually, I have a good fluidity with high settings, but I have some annoying stuttering effects, tested with high and low settings, and it's the same in both case... I have unchecked the "asynchronous thing ..." in SteamVR, unlike said in the first post, and I feel it's better, but stuttering (<= not sure if it's the good term, it's like sometimes the game display quickly an old rendered picture lost in the pipe o_O...) is still here. Don't know if others had this, and if I can correct this by myself.

And about the visuals, I have a strange feeling, when I don't run, if I take a look (virtually :)) around me, all seems to be at the good scale 1/1, but when I run, all the moving things around the car look like they have been "reduced", like I am in a little world o_O...
    Very strange and disturbing feeling that I don't have with Assetto, and I don't know what can give this effect, as I said all look good when I stop the car ...
    Other visual thing, I played with other AI cars, and sometimes (not always) I have the feeling that others cars are displayed "flat", like a cardboard, like the left and right display of the car is the same.

And finally, about sounds, I use a "real 5.1" headset connected to motherboard audio analog plugs (front, center/SW and rear), and the sounds don't seem to follow the tracking, they are always from the same direction (I activated 5.1 in Raceroom and Windows audio settings) if i turn my head. I don't tried with original CV1 headset to compare...
    Maybe in the future an option to choose if sounds are following the tracking or not can be a good thing, because some guys use headset, and other use Speaker. With speaker of course no need to follow the tracking ;).

So it's a first step, and a great thanks for this, it's in the good way, I hope that reports can help you to improve your work ;)!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  16. Thomaso

Thomaso Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    DK2 vs VIVE - There must me something broken using the VIVE.

Having done back to back comparisons, the DK2 is better than the VIVE in every aspect except loading screens. I started yesterday testing with the dk2 expecting to change setup today, but when installing the vive i was stumped. Everything was jaggied and blurry and ghosting (running -vr 1.5 on both).

So after fiddling with the settings I went back to the dk2 and I can tell you it is smooth, sharp, and generally the best driving experience considering pcars, assetto corsa in VR. The difference is enormous. I wonder if ASW is the magic bullet here, but for me, the vive experience felt broken.

Specs: CPU i7-4790 @ 4.4GHz | RAM 16GB | GPU GFX980ti x2 | OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Wheel G25 | Oculus Rift DK2 | HTC vive

17. franz

franz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Why needs RR, ET2 and pCars to be run with Steam VR and iRacing, AC, DIRT Rally and LFS not?

18. franz

franz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way or app to see FPS in game?

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    If you are experiencing flickering / stuttering, you have the graphic settings set too high.
    Try lowering it untill the flickering stops.

20. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Open the steam overlay. Select the "In Game" tab. Should be options to enable an FPS counter in that menu.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1