OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I think he means in vr.

2. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  3. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    If you have a rift, the Oculus Debug tool can be used to see fps in VR.

edit: turned Async Reprojection off in steam VR. Now the menus are displayed correctly in 90FPS! :D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. Diego Xavier

Diego Xavier New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to use it on the Vive, but it is all blurry and very rough edges when inside the cockpit, even using -vr 4.0 i'm unable to distinguish anything from 5 meters from the car. I tried changing the compositor SS to 1.8 and it only affected the menus, and the App SS to 1.8 and nothing changed. :(

EDIT: Got it working, had to run first on Steam directly, then open using SimCommander.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I noticed this as well and first i didn't know what caused it. But i think i do now. I used the Oculus Debug Tool to measure the frames per second and i thought all the time it was 90 with some framedrops, but it's actually running at 45 almost all the time. Only shows how good Asynchronous Space Warp works. But it still is causing some distortions when things are moving very fast and i think that's causing the weird scale perception issues while driving, that aren't there when the car is standing still.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hipor

Hipor New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i have a Vive and A GTX 1080, and it work after i restarted the pc, i am using the option -vr 3.5 the cockpit is really sharp in the distance it could be better but i am still looking for the best settings. i noticed that it's a little choppy when i look around.
    Steam vr setting is set to 1.5

and i really hope they rework the hands animations that it turns more than 180degrees

7. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Second Testrun... got it working on stable framerate when i'm alone on track. Very nice! I found that a combination of -VR 1.5 and ingame AAx2 looked better than -VR2.0. That's the minimum setup i need to have a usable image quality. Performance was roughly the same. I turned everything else way down in video options.

With AI on track the FPS dropped significantly. We need optimisation here.
    My gpu was running at 50% max. while some of the CPU cores were very high.

If you have problems with the mouse Pointer in the menus make sure that the desktop game window is on top. When the steamVR window or any other was over it, it interfered with the mouse ingame.

8. madcat

madcat New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here are some main game optimization work I would recommand to improve VR support:

- SUPERLIGHT MIRRORS MODE (even if it was looking crappy)

Mirros (real ones, haven't tried virtual) have a HUGE impact on GPU load.
    I run with CV1, 980ti @1441gpu 4104mem, and check fps & gpu load with oculus debug tool (performance overlay).
    I can run 2.5 supersampling with 8x ingame AA (and almost 3.0 SS with 2x AA) but only if mirrors are OFF.

- AS CONSTANT GPU LOAD AS POSSIBLE

Just tried portimao and noticed HEAVY GPU load at very limited parts/corners of the track. VR is so much demanding, especially for using the very desirable high supersampling and advanced AA (SGSSAA from nv inspector). To be able to maximise those settings it is crucial the GPU load remains as steady as possible all around the track, within a few % if possible. Then and only then high SS + high/advanced AA become usable (and it provides a HUGE visual improvement).

I understand this is heavy task if it has to be done manually for each track. Maybe you could experiment with an automatic load control system, removing 3D elements to keep GPU load in a specific range ? User could then define the allowed range past which game must remove 3D elements. So the narrowest the range, the more likeley 3D parts would disappear and up to the user to decide if he accepts lots of vanishing elements to be able to maximise filtering settings.

Of course it would be more desirable that each track is optimized to "natively" maintain GPU in a very narrow range.

- FIX/IMPROVE OFF TRACK LOAD

I won't be 100% affirmative as I don't know this game well but from those VR testing, with GPU load constantly under eyes, it seems going off track (esp. gravels) also have a huge impact on GPU load, and the load will only decrease as the tyres get clean again.

BUGS:

Beside side I also noted bugs already mentionned by others here:

- exiting the game using its exit button doesn't kill the process, the game is still running in steam. For proper exit you can either exit steamvr or exit the game from steam instead using the ingame exit button.

- very low fps on track loading screen (20ish).

OTHER COMMENTS:

Beside the above issues, this 1st VR implementation is already very good and very promising. Your game allows much more supersampling than I can do with AC and the result is an amazing increase in clarity at long distance. So keep up the good work, I'm impatient to see if you can optimize it more, esp regarding narrow range GPU load. This will be the key.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Been waiting for VR to be available in RaceRoom, I had not downloaded R3E in my new VR Rig since November, I will give it a go this week end.
    As for many, since I started using VR, flat screen 2D does not cut it anymore.:)

10. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The SIM runs smooth for me on medium settings and -vr 1.5. Windows 7, GTX970, i5-6600k, 16GB RAM , CV1, SimExperience Stage 1 motion rig.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. tonypdb

tonypdb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I tried the same things and always get a black screen, with sound so the game is running, but I cant see anything on screen or in oculus. FIXED WITH RESET VR VIEW BUTTON> THANKS!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Reset the VR view. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. realstinger

realstinger New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am in the same situation as you guys!! Game works fine outside of vr, all other vr games work fine. But try to head out on track and i get a crash dump file, with sound still on in the background, i have tried many things now with no success, very frustrated!!

14. Thomas Karuso

Thomas Karuso New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First, great job for a first shoot! Grats guys!
    Runs good at standard vr 1.5 (6600k/z170/16Gb DDR4-3000/gtx1070/W10pro) on a VR1, tested at spielberg.
    But we need adjustable HUD elements for racing. Size and positioning of some objects are unusable.
    Tripple screen users have first to switch to single screen otherwise menues are heavyly stretched and unreadable.
    Thomas

15. Raneri

Raneri New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I canĀ“t load all tracks or cars . . . why ???

Attached Files:

16. mikemark

mikemark New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    has anyone tried this with Trinus+psvr?

17. madcat

madcat New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My most flickerfree setting so far:

supersampling 2.5 + 8x SGSSAA with -0.500 lod bias + af x16

edit: this is TRSGSSAA, not sparse grid. I selected that one by error, thinking I was using sparse grid. Sparse grid is too heavy at x8 level and 2.5x supersampling. TRSGSSAA is SGSSAA applied only to transparent textures, and you activate it by choosing 8x supersampling instead of 8x sparse grid.

This will require all settings at minimum/off, including mirrors. Lower lod bias (toward -2.500) will help limit the bluriness introduced by sgssaa but -0.500 is already a bit past the limit for the 980ti (portimao track. Most of the track will keep 90fps with this settings, but you'll drop below 90fps on some of the too gpu heavy portions or if you go off track).

Interstingly, as sgssaa requires ingame aa set at least to 2x to work, it makes it easy to compare with no aa at all. Just set ingame aa to disabled and this will disable sgssaa from nv inspector too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Given AMS also manages tripples in dx9 there is always a chance they can squeeze more out as well. And if the rest of the system can be parallel and the simple render thread more or less just dispatches DX calls, could be another push.
    One idea to avoid resending would be testing if oblique frustum clipping can be used. The simple dx9 style instancing support passes left and right eye projections, the near clipping planes would be adjusted to mask off left or right half of the render target.
    That way in theory you could render to both eyes at once.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Hey @pixeljetstream, if you say so, I will believe and vote agree! ;)
    Activate your pixeljetstream turbine and blow those pixels on my right and left screens into the right position!:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. jenseits

jenseits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I get an Error

---------------------------
    Crash report
    Game crashed (exception code 0xC0000005)

You can find crash dump file here:
    C:\Users\Jens\Documents\My Games\SimBin\Crash Dumps\RRRE_Crash_2017_01_26_21_30_39_905.dmp

Please send this file to Sector3 Studios to help us improve the game!
    OK