Other players disappear in multiplayer race

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tero Ahola, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've played RaceRoom for about 3 months now, mostly in multiplayer. In almost 1 race out of 10, I get this weird issue where all the other cars disappear from the race, when transitioning from qualifications to race.

I.e. I've joined a ranked server already during practice phase. I see all the other cars in the track and the result list of the players works as expected. Then the qualifications also work as expected, me driving alone during the qualifications (this seems to be standard behavior in all qualification rounds). Now when the race starts, you would of course appear in the starting grid with all the other cars again visible. But in about 1 race out of 10, I seem to be alone in the grid, even if there were let's say 20 cars in the qualification. And I start from the position I earned from the qualifications. And when the race starts, I get some notifications from incidents concerning other players which I suppose means the race is ongoing and my game client can communicate with the server at least to some extent, but I just don't SEE any of the cars. I'm still able to finish the race and get a position that sounds about right, based on my usual positions in similar races.

When this happens, I get a DNS (did not start) as the race result, the ranked race statistics after the race show my start and end position as empty (not the position I earned in the qualification as starting position, not "last" as end position, just empty). I also get -5 to my rating and usually small minus to my reputation as well.

I could undestand something like this happening with bad network connections, if the game is badly implemented (letting me continue even if the connection dropped). But why does this always happen when I enter the race; if it was a problem with connection, shouldn't it happen randomly during practice and qualifications and in the middle of the race as well? But no, it always happens when the qualifications has ended and the race starts and I join the grid just to find out there is not a single car there with me.

Here are some of my latest races, where you can see 3 such races (and the topmost on the list as well, not shown entirely in the screenshot) I finished with all the opponents invisible.

upload_2022-9-19_15-25-16.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  2. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And here are my specs:
    - mobile broadband usually about 40-100 ms latency to european servers
    - Windows 11, Geforce 2060, i5 11400, 16GB memory
    - Fanatec GT DD Pro
    - CrewChief & OtterHud

3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    If you hover on your incident points per race you can see that sometimes you are getting a DC and 3 points for that but other times there is no DC penalty at all and your lap time consistency is logged - weird.

Does it happen in non-ranked servers too? Are you using an AV or firewall other than Windows security? Did you try using a VPN to see if it changes anything? Mobile broadband is a red flag though - can´t you use a hardwired ethernet connection?

The transition from practice to qually doesn´t give any penalties for anyone and private qualifying is enabled on official ranked servers so you are alone on track.

I´ve had some short DCs during races and still raced and seen other cars but lost positions in the ranking and a few users have had transition issues so maybe check out other posts on here to see if and how they were solved.

4. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have only played couple of non-ranked races. I don't remember having any problems there. I only have the antivirus and firewall stuff that Windows provides. Probably haven't made any changes to their default config. Haven't tried VPN.

And yes, didn't notice the "consistency" thing there, but you are right, sometimes I got a number there, sometimes not. Could it be that I didn't even start the race but disconnected myself those times when the consistency is missing... I'm not sure, I had the impression I've finished the race nevertheless, except maybe for the latest race where this happened.

I'm not sure what you mean by DC in this context?

Maybe I'll try with another mobile operator just to see if it makes any difference, but I doubt, because these problems only occur during the transition from qualifications to race.

5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Do you also have issues if you try one of the official leaderboard competitions or does the game ever hang on startup or when loading a track? What about with other online games?
    I´d say the main issue would be this mobile network as this is more prone to disconnects than a classic ethernet one. If the internet connection can´t be changed you could always try on another computer, perhaps going back to windows 10 just to check there is no issue with the software or firewall blocking.

6. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Have been mostly playing RaceRoom ranked races with this setup, so difficult to say if there are problems with other games or game modes. And I would agree on your conclusion about the mobile network if there would be constant disconnects or other issues randomly. But it seems to happen only when the race starts. So, my conclusion is that it cannot be _only_ a networking issue. There must also be _something_ fragile in the implementation of race start routines in server side, client side or both that makes the participants stop communicating the real time locations of other vehicles. But I'm just guessing here. I don't know how this is implemented.

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Just a hunch but are you using 3g/4g or 5g? Is it one of those USB dongle thingies connected to a phone or one with a sim inside connected direct to pc?
    You could try the other one to see if that helps. With wifi, for instance 2.4 is slower than 5ghz but more stable..

8. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm sharing a 5G connection from my phone. The connection seems to be quite stable, considering the constant ping (50-100ms) and download speed, which I think is usually around 50 mbit/s. I'll try with a 4G modem (that shares the connection via 2.4GHz wifi) next time to see if it makes any difference, that connection happens to be from a different mobile operator.

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
  10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Your on a mobile phone connection , this will happen sometimes ...
    Only way to avoid it is get a lan/house connection

Andi

11. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've now played about 6-7 races with the 4G mobile from another operator (Finnish Elisa). With this option there's been two occasions, where my car stalled for few seconds in the middle of the race and lost few positions because of these. This is something I would expect from a 4G connection; I assume the connection simply isn't stable enough for multiplayer and you get occasional bandwidth or ping problems like this.

Haven't seen this "invisible cars in race start" issue so far with this 4G connection, but I'll have to keep testing.

12. Tero Ahola

Tero Ahola New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The bufferbloat test was useful! I got the following results with different connections:
    upload_2022-10-5_10-30-46.png

i.e. the option with 4G modem and 5Ghz wifi seems to be way better optimised for latencies than the other options even if the same modem and 2.4GHz wifi has better latency when there's no other load. I have had maybe about 10 races now with the 4G+5GHz setup without any connectivity issues so far.

Maybe there's some burst of data; download and/or upload when the race starts, causing the latency to spike. And this is causing problems especially on connection over my Samsung, leaving the game client sometimes in a state where it does not update the position of other cars, but also does not kick me out of the game.

Anyway, considering the fact, that even when connecting with my phone there's almost never any problems _during_ the race, only when the race starts, it looks like some improvement could be made in the game server/client communication. Maybe by trying to reconnect or renegotiate lost connections during the race start countdown. And if it fails repeatedly, then let the user (in this case me) know that you have been kicked out from the game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    basically if you go to bonnet view you got dropped ; a 4g/5g phone is always going to drop stuff ; and some more if you are using wifi from pc to phone
    this can even be local to you ; neighbour firing up a machine , microwave etc

try to get yourself a stable lan connection asap

Andi

14. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem years ago, before ranked even existed, so it is not linked to ranked servers.
    I also have stable and fast internet on fiberoptic cable to my router and 1000 Mbit lan, nothing wireless, so that is also not the problem.
    Don't know why, but the problem dissappeared. I think it is related to some firewall permissions or antivirus, after I have fiddled with permissions, antivir and router settings it never happened again. But still don't know which one was the problems cause.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ion-remains-in-private-qualifying-mode.13101/