Raceroom to move to Unreal Engine 4 in the future.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakayoyo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten BTW just tried increasing the contact shadows to 32. Had absolutely no effect on my framerates, maybe they even got a little bit better. Frametimes, however, are all over the place. 65-70 FPS does not feel smooth for me even on a FreeSync monitor. When I get dips in e.g. ACC, they are "smoother" dips if you know what I mean.

@Andi Goodwin In Arma 2/3 there were settings that used the CPU on the lower setting and GPU on the higher, e.g. it was recommended to max out the shadows so it uses the GPU, because the game was/is CPU bound. Does R3E have something similar I could experiment with?

2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    @Peter Kerenyi forgive me for maybe stating the obvious or being redundant with other posts i may not have read, but have you tried changing out the "full screen" vs "windowed" mode? I recall seemingly seeing major changes in performance a few years back with this. Also i had a situation where i was having Sonoma track specifically run like garbage, and swapped out motherboards for some reason or another, with same remaining hardware, and my issue resolved. Can't say for sure what it was since there are other variables at play when you do a fresh windows install.

3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I have had similar random fps hits in the recent past, first time (3 years ago) it was Afterburner, dumped it and all good. It has happened a couple times this year though, first time was a crappy nVidia driver and the second was a crappy Windows update. The only tuppence I can offer is if you're using Godmode try getting rid, this caused a problem with my RR dedicated server (different pc) a while back. I'd be tempted to concentrate on Gpu drivers or Win updates as this tends to be the culprit whenever I get issues. Good luck!

4. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hi! Will try windowed. I did not try it because FreeSync doesn't work with it but it's worth a shot (FreeSync makes Forza Horizon 4 choppy as well in my experience). Back in the old days on completely different hardware I used to have issues with Shanghai BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    A year or so ago R3E didn't even launch with Afterburner running. But I tried disabling it yesterday and it didn't help unfortunately. I did not know what Godmode is (googled because of this post), I never used it I guess. Thanks for the advice though :)

6. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
  7. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    The first time i hear of this option. I have the latest Windows Build and that option is not more existent. It only lets me choose the GPU.

8. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    This option still exists - it's under the compatibility tab inside the properties of the file. Latest official Win 10 here.

9. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Yea sure but not as described in the linked guide in the Windows Display options.

10. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That's why I mentioned the "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Specific Apps" section ;)

11. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Isnt that just forcing fullscreen off ? I mean i run RR always in borderless btw but that option is not activated on my RR.exe options/settings menu and i never changed it myself... Weird...

12. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, so I tried borderless windowed, disabling fullscreen optimization and disabling FreeSync, none of them helped. I am starting to get frustrated again, screwed up my whole Sunday testing already. Wasn't planning to but those "disagrees" kind of made me angry because obviously I am having these issues and what I wrote is the objective truth for my PC, not something one agrees or disagrees with. I am planning to upgrade to Zen 2 this summer or maybe Zen 3 when it comes out towards the end of the year, not sure yet, but those CPUs have significantly improved single core performance which should help with R3E. Until then, I guess. Too bad because only R3E has my home track :/

I thank you for your advices and ideas. I see a general sentiment here against using MSI Afterburner, so I imagine those of you do not really check your FPS most of the time. If you enabled the FPS counter on Steam and tried a race on Silverstone with 23 WTCR AI cars and checked in with your experience in the first corners and laps I would be really thankful. Because I am still not sure if this is on my current AMD hardware, my sensitivity to FPS drops, or it is truly a limitation of the game on modern hardware that would need an overhaul in the long run. Thanks in advance. :)

13. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Might not be so relevant with my setup:
    Back of grid, 23 AI, T1 75fps, lap 2 and on, 80-90fps
    Notes that one CPU core is often above 95%, reducing AI to 19 gave 5-10fps.
    Qualy 100-135fps

Silverstone seems to be on the heavy side,
    Macau T1, 80fps, lap 2 and on 95-120fps, less heavy on the CPU as well.

CPU usage
    upload_2020-5-18_21-36-48.png
    (one side note, SLI scaling is none, if any)

I normally limit my fps to 80fps in R3E.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Your CPU is obviously more powerful, especially in single core at those nice frequencies. And your GPU is pushed by those many many pixels.

15. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    His CPU is limiting in RR. I mean maybe in 5 years theres a Cpu that can feed 2x2080ti lol. *In a game that can fully utilize all CPU cores not only 1 ;)

16. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    not related but @Peter Kerenyi i recommend fxaa off, it gives me clearer and nicer looking picture

17. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    R3E are currently not scaling SLI setups correct, it's an known issue but to stay on topic, it's still way better than UE4 that do it even worse (to a point where it's not even usable). It's no problem utilize 2x1080TI with an i7 at 5Ghz at titles that do scale SLI. However not unique to R3E, I agree better true multi threading would be nice.

18. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    1080ti... I was just reading 2080ti when i wrote that comment earlier xD

I strongly agree when i take a look at the calendar and notice the year we live in ^^

19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom doesn't support SLI altogether. So, no wonder it doesn't scale... :D

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If the issue is adding AI then isn´t it more likely to be a processor based slowdown than GPU related? How many AI opponents can you have before it slows down? What happens in multiplayer online mode? Have you tried running cars on the older physics and on a lower detail track like Salzburgring or Hockenheim?

Have you tried using an app like Process Lasso to permanently set the core and power management of RRE? Might be worth testing that to see if it makes any difference as your system specs seem well above what is required, even if they are not the standard Intel/Nvidia combo.

Is anything being throttled back due to high temperature? Moving towards the summer this can happen.

If it was a graphics card issue I would put all the settings to minimum and lower the screen resolution then work up until the problems emerge.