Ranked Racing Disappointing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Biodroid79, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Biodroid79

Biodroid79 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So I have been grinding away at rookies ranked races and while doing well relatively incident free, I only gain 1 point per race. I went from 60s to 81 over a few weeks, then in 1 race someone take me off the track, I then get terminal damage which forces me to quit the race. The rammer drives on like nothing happened. Lo and behold I lose 8 points because of this demoting me down to 73. I find this ridiculous and disappointing because I worked hard to gain small amounts only to have the system take a chunk away in 1 incident. Shouldn't the ranking gains\loss be overhauled, I don't even feel like playing RR anymore because of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Taylan Benker

Taylan Benker New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am new to RR and I have not attended much MP yet. If you managed to go incident free for a few week it is rather good. In every sim starting level races are filled with villain drivers that you can not run a single race without being harassed or punted out.

Without a real human standing as race steward/director the only way to judge is the contact registered by computer regardless of fault. Yes it is really frustrating but no software can prevent misbehaving people, well misbehave. Keep calm and go on

3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The reputation value isn't something that's supposed to be improved by grinding races. It will automatically converge at your individual reputation level when you do more and more races.

Looking at your ranked race history, a reputation between 70 and 80 seems to be the correct reputation level for you since you pick up quite a lot of incident points per race on average.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think it should. Losing this much in an instant - when something wrong happened around you (disconnect or car crash) - doesn't properly reflect your "safety rating" and therefore can't be reliably used as such.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, there's no difference how your rep is calculated after you passed the first 20 races. Be it 25 races or 2500, your rep will depend on the same three numbers. And your occasional 8+ rep losses won't be any more accurate or reflective of your skills.

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    On Ams2 your safety rating (rep in RRE) is based on all online races and a DC loses you skill rating but not safety. You can game the system to keep skill rating too but that´s another topic.

The other difference is you add points during a race for clean driving and being close to other cars whereas in RRE it seems more like a penalty system where the points add up in a negative way to DQ you or to lose you rep.

I am not sure which is better, in AMS2 you do feel you are grinding away to get to S licence highest safety rating and you can game the system. RRE feels harder to exploit both for safety and skill.

7. Biodroid79

Biodroid79 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I can't control who hits me on track but getting that many rep points for a DNF due to someone else's fault is frustrating

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Did you leave the server or wait until the end of the race

Andi

9. Biodroid79

Biodroid79 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I waited, but the last race I did the game crashed.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the internet. I thing every user will have a DC or crash at some point do it evens out. The later it happens in the race, the less points you should lose down to even just one or two if it is in the last minutes.

If you are losing silly points every race to off track excursions or hitting or being hit by others then just start at the back and drive round slowly at the back or go into the pits each lap for a few 15 minute races and you´ll soon get back up to 80 or so rep. This wiill lose you performance rating though.

The first 20 races counted double, win or lose, so those were the ones to use to farm rep quickly.

11. willdj72

willdj72 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This ranking system is very similar to a couple other big sims. My RR name is Will Creach. I used to get frustrated a lot when I first started daily ranked races, but after some time and getting to grips with every class of car and dialing in my visual radar on track. My judgement of car proximity while in tight quarters really helped me become a smarter racer. Knowing when to make a movie and when to sit idle. I have 615 races in a short 6 months with a SR of 95.5 and a DR of 168 or so. My advice is if you're chasing these numbers don't let the progress discourage you. They go up and down according to numerous factors. Bad driving and bad decisions will always be a factor in sim racing. I focused on building my SR cause becoming a good sim racer is not about winning, its about finishing a race clean and the occasionally wheel to wheel battle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wynarator

Wynarator New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Getting terminal damage and disconnecting shouldn't be punished with safety rating loss. Every argument that this will even itself out cause on average blah blah blah - it's silly. I can slap you in the face every second friday but on average your face wouldn't hurt, so why bother, right? Nonsense argumentation in my opinion.

Devs, pls fix.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. willdj72

willdj72 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Your new to sim racing obviously. Almost every sim has a penalty system similar to Racerooms. Racing incident approaching a very volatile hair pin. I can't believe that you suffered terminal damage from that incident. Ive been flipped upside down before off a sausage curb and limped back to the pits.

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    The argument to have penalties is not that it will even itself out on average.

Penalty for a disconnect: it's to discourage intentional quitting (rage quitting). Unfortunately there's no way for the server to tell if it was intentional or accidental. A player can kill the game, disconnect their internet or throttle the connection to cause high ping followed by a kick from the server.

Regarding terminal damage, if a dead car means you can quit the race without getting a rep hit, that would allow people to quit a race they don't like (rage quit) by intentionally killing their car. And what happens with penalties for contacts with other people?

However, I think the exact formulas of how reputation is calculated, should be changed. Like I said in my earlier comment, I think it would be better if the formulas took in account several previous races, not just the current one - that would make rep changes more gradual and representative of drivers' "safety skills".

15. Wynarator

Wynarator New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not saying there should be no penalty, I just can't see the reason to apply double penalty - both rating and safety take penalty after you quit. What does it have to do with safety?

Example: my race is ruined in T1, sometimes I can make my way into pits, then waste time waiting for repairs and then waste additional time participating in a race driving alone. Why would game force me to do such unfun activity? DNFs do happen and sometimes it's just incident, but basically blackmailing players to finish pointless races or get your safety take giant hit is pointless AF.

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Well, that's a good question...

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    In AMS2 rage quits only affect rating as it is logically a DNF and there is a sliding scale in points the longer you stay in the race. Not saying it is perfect but....

18. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I ran a GTR4 race on one of the ranked servers. Game simply crashed halfway through the race. Result: rating drops by over 13 points. This simply makes no sense - why should the player be punished for a game bug?

Another thing: incident points (and therefore a reputation drop) for cutting corners in qualifying. I am completely alone on the track (as on most ranked servers, you can't see other players during this session). I am already punished by the game making my lap not count (ok, I cut a corner, makes sense). But why am I also punished with incident points!? Who is in danger when I'm cutting corners when driving alone on the track!? This also makes no sense

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    These points don't affect your reputation if that's what you worry about.

It works like that because otherwise there would be a way to quit a race and not get any consequences.

20. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I'm still getting "error13" crash when I click multiplayer 95% of the time. Can only access it when I use vpn but that has its problems.