rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Gerhard Gruber

Gerhard Gruber Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    @Mihai
    Hast recht, ein Bild sagt tausent Worte.
    [​IMG]
    Ich habe es Beräut das ich für das Game Geld bezahlt habe.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Why? It's a very nice Windows XP looking race atmosphere :D ... the graphics of rFactor really sucks :confused: ... omg. One of the reasons why I am here ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    these are some of their wip dx11 shots.

4. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys. I'm contemplating whether I should buy rFactor 2. I have Assetto Corsa and Automobilista which I both didn't really enjoy. AC because of the bland pointless AI and Automobilista because the dated visuals were too hard a pill to swallow.

I've downloaded the rFactor 2 demo but it's hard to judge from such little content. It feels like a very good simulator but obviously their whole package is not very modern and appealing. I mainly race against the AI, so:

1) Is the AI good? Compared to AC, RRE, etc.
    2) Are there a lot of good "complete" tracks? I mean tracks that don't have an overtly "3rd party content" vibe to them. I'm weary of sifting through heaps of half-baked ugly content like in AC.
    3) I did not get any wheel vibrations in the demo. Are there any? On curbs?

Opinions much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    - AI: you will ike them (don't know why you would compare them to the 'non existing' AI in AC though...they are worthless...
    - Lots of really good tracks, with excellent track feel (and they do feel and look as if you are driving on an actual track, as opposed to AC tracks - vanilla or mods - since they all dull and lifeless).
    - Don't know about the demo, but without tinkering with the car specific FFB, you can get your wheel ripped out of your hands when driving over aggressive curbs. I'd say FFB in RF2 is amongst the best.
    I bought RF2 a while ago when it was on sale, don't regret it one bit, even if I had paid full retail.

My only 'gripe' with RF2 are the dated graphics in cockpit view (car interiors), on the other hand, looking out the windows at cars around you is surprisingly good.
    Most mods are good (some very good), some others are not really finished or up to standards, but there are so many of them...

Installing extra skins is a mess, sometimes it works fine, other times it is a real drama. I gave up on that (most cars have sufficient liveries anyway).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I have had rf2 for a couple of years but not played it much purely due to the dated washed out visuals.
    The ai are excellent, probably the best around.
    There certainly is vibrations.
    Studio 397 have taken over from isi and have some good plans for the sim.
    May the 1st is meant to bring the much hyped and awaited dx11 update and vr.
    The dx11 previews seem to be a real good step up. That alone will be enough to get me back into it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gerhard Gruber

Gerhard Gruber Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, aber rfactor 2 ist in meinen Augen schrott. Mods gibt es genau 2 gute, tracks sind von rfactor 1 konvertiert ( also Mist )
    selber Mods erstellen ist eine Wissenschaft. Ich habe es beräut das ich rfactor 2 gekauft habe.:mad:

8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    english please. and it's "bereut"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gerhard Gruber

Gerhard Gruber Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but rfactor 2 is scrap in my eyes. Mods there are exactly 2 good, tracks are converted by rfactor 1 (ie crap)
    Creating mods is a science. I've ringed it that I bought rfactor 2

google translator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    my 2 cents:
    1. I personally prefer R3E AI (the behavior), but rF2 AI is decent and is more configurable (strength, aggression, limiter parameters). Racing AI in rF2 is satisfying though, partly because game has nice damage model (by my book) that discourages any contact.
    2. Check out RaceRfactor track set. Brings the game to life, and not a single problem with that set. But I wouldn't say there are a lot of tracks, especially finished. Game still doesn't have certain European tracks. Overall, content is not rF2's strong suit, if you can't settle for "few, but working" you're in for disappointment.
    3. rF2 does not have canned FFB effects, so wheel will feel somewhat quiet compared to games with canned effects. But there's also configuration needed. Setting minimum force to maximum value that causes no oscillation is the key. Surface feel is stronger than I was able to ever achieve in pCars. Also, if you're on CSW, set smoothing to 0, and Fanaleds adds engine vibration. which improves experience (I like canned effects generally, so I prefer R3E and AC FFB).
    Note that the absolutely awesome part of rF2 FFB is flat spots, quality mods support that and it's just amazing thing that makes you brake with consequences in mind.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I have 153 tracks installed... (I left out several of the 'not good imo' mods)... ;)
    Certain "must have" tracks are indeed missing, as are some European tracks, but having:
    Spa - Blackwood - Brands Hatch - Brno - Cadwell Park - Castle Combe - Paul Ricard - Croft - Dijon Prennois - Le Mans (+Bugatti) - Monza - Monaco - Silverstone - Knockhill - Lausitring - Magny Cours - Mantorp - Mugello -Nurburgring - Nordschleife - Oschersleben - Oulton Park - Poznan - Spielberg - Barcelona - Hungaroring - Rockingham - Sachsenring - Salzburgring - Slovakiaring - Assen TT - Jerez - Donington - Misano - Snetterton - Hockenheim - Thruxton - Ricardo Tormo (Valencia Street) - Rouen-les-Essarts -Zandvoort - Zolder... (some of them in several layouts),
    is not bad either and sure keeps me busy for a while...:D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I've tried so hard to like rFactor2 but can't do it. I have AC, R3E and Automobilista. I liked the FFB from automobilista, although not to the level that some others did, but the graphics were too rough to handle. If you find that the graphics in AMS are too poor, you're really not gonna like rFactor2.

rFactor2 has decent FFB (i prefer AMS), but the menu system, graphics and content leave a lot to be desired. There is some good payware, but its clunky to find and install. Overall, i think i've loaded and uninstalled rFactor2 about six times now. Just can't get used to it. I drive R3E, iRacing and AC the most. Probably in that order too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... Zandvoort and Zolder are on my wishlist :) Sent you a PM :)
    Yes, despite all shortcomings this beast keeps me very busy. It is just not like R3E, where you can count on quality, cohesive content. Sometimes in rF2 one has to admit: "this mod is broken", "this won't work in rain" or "nope, not on this track" and move on to stuff that works.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Squanchy

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's why I called them pointless. They are more like moving way-points than opponents. Once you get close to one you don't need to bother much as they kind of melt away, forming a polite queue behind you. :)
    On the other end of the spectrum is RRE's AI... So if RRE's and AC's AIs had a baby it could be an AI in rFactor. ;/

• Like Like x 1
  15. Squanchy

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I did see some videos of American tracks too. Sebring looks pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Sebring is nice. Pretty much if you see that something is done by VirtuaLM team, you can expect high quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Patrick.B

Patrick.B Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Graphics is not all. the most important stuff in a Sim is Sound and Physics i think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    And of course the line-up i think. And the features.... Look at AC... Good physics... but boring on the other end. (imo)

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the type of experience you are looking for. As much as I appreciate the driving feeling in rFactor 2, I recently spend more and more time in Project CARS because I find it to be the closest thing to a complete package on the market and I actually found myself enjoying the AI - aside from their extensive aggression, I think this is the only sim (maybe Raceroom comes close in that sole aspect) where the AI really fight the player (yep sometimes dirty), but passing even if you are faster can really be a challenge. I'll probably change my mind after a few more hours when they wreck me near the finish line lol.

Anyway, I think each and every aspect of a sim is important - weather and day cycle simulation is marginalized, but the conditions play a huge part in real racing and few sims replicate this. Race rules are another thing and the introduction of flags has been a complete game-changer for me when it comes to Raceroom. True, rFactor 2 has all them features, but years after release (if you can call that scam a release), everything still feels half-backed, half done and content quality is all over the place (like the cancerous Galosine Alley, which replace all my pace cars with 1920's stock cars).

What I am trying to say here is, the community needs to shift focus from tire models and FFB implementation to being the most important, to everything is important. Back in the day we used to have stuff like GP4 which had every aspect of F1 racing down to the letter and even now with oval racing, rFactor 2 (and even iRacing) don't come close to NS2003.

Yeah driving and sound is key to the experience, but stuff like pit crews and animated crowds, are key to the immersion.

• Like Like x 2
  20. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    You all terrible people! You should feel so bad right now! Because of this thread, I re-installed rFactor 2, just out of curiosity and it turns out this got released:

[​IMG]

I can be Richard Petty now. See you in the next decade. Bye!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1