rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Well, pCARS is definitely the best looking car game out there, with Assetto Corsa close by, Although I like the overal level of detail on cars and tracks better in Raceroom, everything just looks more... "meaty".

Good point on the damage model as well. I think CARS has the best damage model out there, both in terms of looks and how easy it is to wreck your cars... Open wheelers aside, with something like GT3, I think I had the most success in eliminating myself from the race in this game.

Anyhow, May is almost here, and I can't wait to see rFactor 2 do a catch up in the graphics department. I have also fiddled around with the C7R in various sims (too bad Raceroom does not have it yet), and to my surprise the best feel and enjoyment was the URD car in... Automobilista. Which is strange since it's supposed to be the same mod as in rFactor 2 sans the superior tire model. And this is another thing I am waiting for - the new C7R for rFactor 2 with all them bells and whistles.

Here is another fun fact: in my previous post I boasted finally being able to do nice looking drifts thanks to the rFactor 2 Supra mod... For some inexplicable reason, this newly found feel for driving a car sideways transitioned nearly perfectly to Assetto. No idea how, I just sat with Kunos version of the Supra and it cam naturally on the firs corner. Muscle memory? Anyways, it's actually a cool thing to learn about rFactor 2. Apparently, the sim is perfect for getting a feel for certain things when it comes to driving and this translates to other games.

It's good I don't have a rear wheel drive car IRL, I'd be tempted to try some stuff out.

2. Patrick.B

Patrick.B Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Waiting for DX11 is almost over Guys !

3. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    You can now opt for the open beta v1108-dx11.

4. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I have installed it. Luckely no problems as I read on RaceDepartment. But neither visual stunning. And with the glare option, well, at least with my RX 470 it glares trully like hell. Too shiny LED's, floors which are brighter than the sun... But, it's beta, so I can't be to critical about it.

How nice rF2 could be, it's still just too much of a unfinnished framework which in both DX9 and DX11 lacks visuals and concistency. And because of the lack of control and lack of support (although it looks like it is going to better documented) on the modding side, it's making the mess even bigger. And if I look at R3E how great a game visually can be in DX9...

That said, does it suck? Hell no, it's a great attempt of making rF2 better. And according to their news updates, they are pretty busy to tackle the biggest hurdles which cripples rF2 the most :)

And, V3.5 2014 on Silverstone in DX11 is pretty cool. By the looks and how it drives. But that last didn't change ;)

5. T.L

T.L Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had to turn down graphics alot otherwise it was like I got motion-sickness but
    F1 2012 ISI is such awesomness and I dont get the graphical hick-ups I get in
    codemasters F1 2106. Hopefully they can optimize it more, its still BETA though.

Too bad, minimal server browser that tells you nothing and otherwise confusing
    racing set up, to much depending on mods, where do i find tracks for formula etc.
    But it is a good sim, I wouldnt wanna be without it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Maybe my expectations were too high for beta but the visuals are totally unimpressive so far. There's an interesting DX9 vs DX11 comparison on youtube as well that shows how minimal the difference is. I'll let the mass amount of bugs slide because its a beta, but I don't think this is going to bring me back to rfactor2 unless something dramatic happens.

7. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    After I run around some tracks with some cars and considering it's a beta i'm pretty much happy with what I've seen. The ambient lighting was improved and this is a good step in the right direction. However, being a game which relies heavily on mods, now it's the modding community turn to update their creations to comply with dx11. Performance wise, nothing to worry about, fps 40-60 (i run my games with vsync on), on Monza i've got something like 20 in pit zone, Nords was most of the time 55-60.

8. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm not too impressed. Considering how it's just slight changes to the lighting, there is still a long way for this go. Also, the frame-rate is crap and we are talking a single car on track here. People say they get between 40-60, not sure what you guys are running, but considering I can push pretty much any other sim out there at a solid 60 without dropping a frame, rFactor 2 seems like a miserable failure in the graphics department (and I'm not talking fancy shaders here). As I understand the whole point of this DX11 thing was to make it work well with VR, but unless you can push a solid 75 FPS, get ready for major headaches. In any case, racing games really need that solid 60 or more to be enjoyable, especially when they require precise steering.

Before people jump on me for bashing, just look at something like IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad - they introduced DX11 a few months ago, and the frame-rate nearly doubled for some people. So you can achieve good results in a niche genre with a small team and little funds.

Hopefully, they will iron things out and add some fancy new effects to the game. I only hope they make it before another generation of racing sims hits the market. Plus the new engine will need some updated mods to shine and that is another few months down the line.

9. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    According to their release notes they changed a lot of things in the graphics, not just the DX11. Hopefully they will improve performance by the time alpha is released. Which is supposed to take "months"(!) o_O

I haven't downloaded the beta. Looking at videos the lighting does look much better, no? And trees at the back are a little less... grey slab, and more alive. It's hard to tell the real difference in lighting because they changed color and contrast too, something you can do with SweetFX anyway.

Another issue if I understand correctly is that Mods would need to be edited to prevent the super-glare artifacts on cars, etc. What a mess...
    But they are on the right road, surely?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  10. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Since TrackMap plugin is not working on DX11, I'm not going to take the step. Especially reading that framerate is dropping in most cases (while DX11 was supposed to have a positive influence). I'll stick to what I have right now, not worth trying as far as I'm concerned.

11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You guys have to remember, they only updated 5 cars, and 5 tracks with new textures, etc. If you are running mods, or running other official content that wasnt updated... This update will do next to nothing for you.

That said, Studio 397 has exceeded my expectations with this update. I was expecting nothing, or next to it. I was mainly basing my expectation off of how iRacing made the transition to DX11, where the graphics didnt change at all.

The updated content definitely does look improved. The Nissan GT500 looks quite nice from the outside now. Silverstone at 8:30 pm is quite a nice drive too. Probably shows off the improved lighting effects the best since the sun is starting to set.

Overall, it looks pretty good for what the update was supposed to accomplish. However, it isnt without its flaws. Shadows on Indy look really weird. Lots of popping in and shadows disappearing depending on your angle going through a corner. With post processing on ultra, the glare is insane. Way too bright and way too much bloom. No worries here though, as this will just be edited and adjusted in the future. For now though, it is completely unusable. High PP does fine though.

Performance wise, Im on a gtx 1070, and it runs decently enough for me. Never felt like rF2 ran good before, especially for how bad the game looks, but its running at 140+ fps with max graphics settings (AA is at level 1 though) when Im just hotlapping.

Be interesting to see where rF2 goes from here. Sadly, it is a bit of a sunken ship. 3rd party mods are basically the entire game, and those will need to be updated. Many of which wont be, simply because they are ancient rF1 conversions. If Studio 397 can actually license and release some good content, it may just be worth playing more than once in a blue moon.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    If anyone is having Frame Rate problems, either delete or rename the player.json file. I had about 40 FPS before I did that and now I'm up to well over 100.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ...bez

...bez New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    initial impressions were terrible just updating from my previous version on steam, stuttering and terrible frame rates, last night i uninstalled and reinstalled and the difference was night and day for me, im now at well over 100fps with everything maxed out, previously was struggling to hit 60

14. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    How are your framerates with not-yet-updated content? I get aboud 90 at silverstone with the skippies, but about 30-40 if I switch to a mod-car like the gt3 World Series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ...bez

...bez New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    just tried the gt3 world mod by simtek on stock track and went down to 30fps, tried stock content car on croft mod and fps were 90-100

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Interesting!! That might mean mod cars are worserer (copyright me) than mod tracks. If that is true that´s actually a good thing I think :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Following your logic, mod cars on mod tracks are worsererst (copyright not me).:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Is there an easy way to identify stock content vs 3rd party while in game?

19. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    None, what you can do is just uninstall 3rd party stuff from the package manager - they are signed there.

20. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    correct! that might be Mount Worserest. But seriously, as far as I see with my tests it doesnt really get any worserer with more unoptimised content, the cars seem to kill it just fine. :)