Running RRE in power saving mode focusing on efficiency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nolive721, Apr 26, 2022.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Ok I might not be in the majority and having become a bit obsessed with Efficiency and energy savings but after having owned 2 systems with relatively high power consuming GPUs (1080Ti and VEGA 64), I decided a year ago to make my PC more efficient.

first move was to buy an AMD 6600XT then sticking to a 3000series CPU (now 3700X, previously 3500X)
    I am pushing the envelop to try driving my UW 1440p display at Max settings to achieve at least 60fps but can leave with frames dipping below this target as this is a Freesync Premium screen

even more agressive, I actually set the Windows power Plan to "Power saver" mode as well.

In most of my Sims like AMS2, ACC or AC(stock), this would work with the CPU staying locked at 1700Mhz and under1V core voltage so pulling around 20-25W
    Then the GPU UVed/Underclosked at 2200Mhz core and under 1V core voltage resulting in 100W of power being consumed so total CPU+GPU around 100W for really a butter smooth Simracing experience

But if I try to do so with RRE in 30AI races, similar to what i do with other Sims, I would get automatically AMD drivers crash and from my testing, it seems the trigger is the Windows "power saver" Plan as if I changed to AMD balanced or High performance, I can run the Game without issue.

Is that type of CPU bound really due to RRE coding (DX9, single core use) and there is no way to bypass this?

I understand again that I might be unique in what I try to achieve but any hints to make the Game stable in such Power saving scenario?

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Try using Throtte Stop to undervolt the processor and keep windows on a higher setting. That should be more effective.

I use balanced setting and undervolt/clock my CPU and have no issues with RRE.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  3. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, much appreciated

I should have mentioned this, sorry

I have an UV plan in Ryzen Master set at 3.6ghz and 1.13V

Using this CPU UV makes the Game stable but its still pulling higher wattage though

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    So try customising the power saving plan setting by setting till you find what is causing the issue - maybe min/max processor use, cooling fan operativity or something like that.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    I think you can tweak all you like , but you will be just wasting energy , yours and the otherstuff ..
    With dx9 on a single core if you want those fps and those ai , my guess is you need to be up around 3.6 -3.8ghz

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Ok thats fair and yes it works, as I mentioned earlier

Just can not resist to tweak my system further, bad habit from my engineering background:D