Shadows appear/dissapear on track at sunset

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darko Jovanoski, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Darko Jovanoski

Darko Jovanoski New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I want to ask if there is any way to fix shadows clipping and appearing suddelny in front of me while racing on sunset? For example racing on Brands Hatch GP layout after second turn big shadow suddenly appears on the road from the building. This issue is persistent on more tracks and I guess it's problem with drawing objects/shadows in distance.
    I have tried all maxed out and same issue appears. Only if running with track details at low this isn't happening on Brands but happens on other circuits, not to mention that tracks looks very plain and empty when running on low track details.
    Is there any way to fix this? It gets boring to race only at noon.
    Thanks

2. S.R.Lemke

S.R.Lemke New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are racing on Linux/proton?
    I found the way to 'disable' this is by disabling the option 'car shadows'

3. Darko Jovanoski

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No I am on windows. I think car shadows does not have any corelation with this issue becouse even If I practice alone on track same happens. Probably something with the way tracks are developed or set. For example that shadows that appear/dissapear on Brands Hatch GP does not happen in Brands Hatch Indy layout. Probably is something with the draw distance set for the track, I don`t know... But I thought maybe I am missing something in the settings to get rid of this issue.

4. S.R.Lemke

S.R.Lemke New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh I have the same problem, and tought it would be related to running it in Linux/Proton, and the way I found to get rid of it is by disabling car shadows, I really did not mind it so much as it is also performance friendly, but if it worked properly would keep it.
    I have the problem I think in most of the tracks, I can rememeber RBR has the problem for sure.
    Are using a radeon? (I'm on a 6900XT)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Im really confused , second turn ?
    Comming down the sf straight ., first shadow we get is the tree line which sort of appears after that we basically are in shadow until the back straight , a video would be useful , and a few screenshots of your ingame settings

Andi

6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You can't get rid of it. It's just how the lighting/shadow system works. Some tracks could probably be optimised to stop the worst offences but it's not likely a priority right now. Suzuka is another bad one for shadow pop. I tend to avoid running at sunset now.

7. Darko Jovanoski

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try race or practice at sunset at Brands Hatch GP layout, after the second turn (the 180 degrees one) big shadow will appear suddenly in front of you.

8. Darko Jovanoski

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if this is true actually is thr answer to my first post. We can't have proper sunset races without these issues with the shadows. Thanks for confirming mate :)

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    you can ; its not a game breaker really

Andi

10. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    While technically it might not be one even i as somebody whos far from a graphics guy found it hard to ignore when i noticed this around daytona

11. Darko Jovanoski

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Many tracks actually struggle from this at sunset. I can't mention all of them. Racing at sunset is special, some tracks look really good but this breaks the immersion. It's boring to race at noon all the time.

12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Dawn is better than sunset. Some nice lighting effects. Try Bathurst at dawn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Darko Jovanoski

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    will do! thanks for the reccomendation :)