The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Lambos are WIP, and I suspect they didn't perceive the GT3 as different enough to the GTE to justify the expense. Understandable if your emphasis is variety over a full series. Not sure about Audi, and Chevrolet is also more known for GTE.

Worth remembering that they have four GT2/GTEs, so might be worth focusing more on that for a bit of variety compared to other sims.

2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, but GT3 is a more interesting class as far as I'm concerned. More variety.

That said, the C7R GT2 is probably one of my favourite cars in AC. Great to drive, great to look at, great to listen to! I would adore a GT3 version.

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that small devs like S3S or Kunos can or want to afford a whole producers license but rather just license single cars. So just because someone has a Ferrari license I don't think they actually hold a license to every car of that company.
    Jay probably could enlighten us, at least on how it is here at S3S...

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Licenses. Cost. Money. ;)

And although they have hired twice, I think, since EA was launched, they nevertheless are a small studio only. The laser-scanned tracks for example, the post-scannign work on it - is done by just one lonely guy.

The Lambo license contains 9 cars.

Comes success, comes money. Comes money, comes content. They were so successful that they< are far ahead of their original plans already. The vertical scrambling last year also explains why the DLCs and additional licenses were announced so very early last year - they did not expect that already the early phase of Early Access would put them into the financial situation they ended up in. It also was about annual fiscal planning, their producer once explained, I mean regarding the times when they announced these deals and for which they were - needlessly - criticised ("still no full release, but already announcing DLCs - loosers!"). But business management has its own rythms and timetables over a year, so have the financial needs of maintaining it.

On the 458, for the time being use the 458 GT2.It's a good car.

Most car types in AC now have at least one direct rival to race against, sometimes even more. To do a GT3/2/C race and thus having 7 different car types in a field, feels well enough for me. The GT races in AC definitely belong to those mixes that work well already. You can throw in the C7R (ort the excellent modded C6R) and the P-4/5 as well.

There are quite many car mods already, but only some of them really excel in all regards and meet Kunos' default standard. These few cars are highly recommended. The now included Kunos Miura as well as the Shelby Cobra base on such two mods - Kunos bought them and slightly polished them. The F1 Williams from 2009: FW31, the Mazda 787 and the URD Corvette C6R are on my mind as exmaples.

I would not complain about a solid set of open-wheelers in R3E.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. Thats why it is that list of 9 Lambo cars - and no ooher Lambo cars.

To my regret, the infamous Diabolo is not listed. One of my favourite cars in SimBin's GTR2 from ten years ago. I miss its Ferrari Modena also.

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I think the lacking modding in R3E is another reason why its customer numbers are somewhatstagnating on a lower level, as illustrated by Steamcharts. Good modding options would maybe compensate for the high costs of R3E, but there is no modding - only the micro-transaction-frenzy. I think the main problem is not the sim itself, because it is not worse than others, and dsoes some things even better than the others. The mian problem is the business model they are running. If it pays of for Sector3 due to fewer customers, but higher spendings by these, okay - if the economic nujbers work, they work. If it is noit like that - then I wonder that after all these years they still are stuck with this microtransaction model. I would have thrown it out of the window already years ago.

In AC, however, modding from beginning on, early beginning on, worked wonders and is one reason for its popularity. And there are so many cars and tracks of really very very good quality already (Zandvoort also once was a private project). If the Zandvoort experiment does well for Kunos, it could mean they found a way to easily increase the size of the sim'S content without needing to spend a small fortune for track closing, renting, scanning. And the many additional licenses for cars they pulled out of the black hat like white rabbits! One has to give it to them - financially and economcially Kunos really knows how to tango.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    R3E is an amazing SIM, but lack of modding and mandatory internet connection even for the single player only experience kills it for me! Sector3 seems to have closed all possible doors to all other simracers by making these strange decisions

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No. It is different, it is not so much their decision, but old heritage they still must deal with (I wonder though why for so long). One Sector 3 staff member explained it in a thread two or three weeks ago, or four, saying the business model and the always-online issue comes from the early days when there still was SimBin and planned R3E to be something bigger and different than it is today, more online-focussed and build around an online community. I got from his explanations that in the long run they indeed plan to get rid of these things, for R3E now and today is something very different, but that these issues root very deep into the sim'S genes, because the old sim was centered on and build around these things. For that reason it seems to be a comp0lex and anything but easy task to get rid of it and replace the gaps in the structure with a replacement.

Check in the Chit Chat forum for that thread, I do not recall what thread it was, sorry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I am wrong, but I remember only Murcielago from GTR2.

http://www.simcarlist.com/official-car-list/23/1

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0

Some pics

6lD63JjfBio.jpg
    2015-08-06_00002.jpg 2015-08-06_00003.jpg 2015-08-06_00004.jpg 2015-08-06_00005.jpg 2015-08-06_00006.jpg 2015-08-06_00007.jpg 2015-08-06_00008.jpg 2015-08-06_00009.jpg 2015-08-06_00022.jpg 2015-08-06_00023.jpg 2015-08-06_00024.jpg 2015-08-06_00025.jpg 2015-08-06_00030.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Just wish the car models in R3E were at that level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Although, after switching between R3E and AC over the past few days it's even more apparent to me how good R3E actually looks. Everything is so clear, crisp and detailed with nice textures, natural-looking. The track artists really are on another level. I don't even care that nothing (at present) is laser scanned. They do a tremendous job without that technology.

AC's trackside detail and textures can be a bit basic.

R3E is also smooth as silk whereas AC isn't so much (for me anyway - could be a setting).

The cars - while not at AC's level of detail - still look great, although the cabin interiors could use more detail and sharper textures for materials like carbon fibre, etc...

Not to turn this into a R3E vs AC post (although this will always happen in the context of this forum) but it really puzzles me when people say R3E isn't good-looking, cartoony, etc...AC benefits from some DX11 goodies but I really don't like the post processing (normally turn it off) and how the game can look a bit dark and muddy. R3E is overall a better looking game imo.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    While R3E may seem like it is lagging behind in the graphics department on paper I prefer it over AC and pCars which are more technically advanced. The main reason is the quality of the image. There is very little shimmering in shadows and distant objects compared to the other sims. Also there is no pop in, weird shadow bugs, or exposure issues. This makes it easier to look at and more immersive when you don't have crawling aliasing and odd flickering taking you out. The color pallet might be a little saturated in R3E but nothing unrealistic. I find I screenshot R3E far more than any other sim because it is consistently good looking.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    No shadow bugs in R3E? Just have to look into the rear mirror... Makes me wonder how bad the bugs in the other sims are. :D

Seriously though, especially after switching to realistic mood, the image is very natural, clean and sharp, which adds to the speed feeling imo. In other sims like AC I just don't get that look of real pace, it always looks like 1/3 slower than I'd expect it to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Is the 'moods' thing still worth adjusting? I thought S3 said it was kind of an obsolete setting for older tracks?

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Oh I think so, just recently made the switch and the colours a way more realistic, less blueish. All in all looks like a sharper image for me. I like. Although I don't actually know if it affects all tracks, could be that the latest ones aren't, but it doesn't hurt either... Gonna test it on Macau and PR.

• Like Like x 1
  18. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I will try this later. What file and line of text do I need to look for?

19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The files are in C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\Shaders\dx9\fx\moods.
    There's one called default and one called realistic. Just switch the names of those two (default > realistic and vice versa) and the realistic one will be used.
    There were some comparison pics in some thread...if only I had the slightest clue which thread that was, but it's really noticable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Me too has learned to love the looks of R3E's environments. I prefer their graphics style to that in AC, which has a light system that sometimes creates very realistic but sometimes very depressing, doomsday-like colour schemes. But the cars in AC look better in return.

I am eager to see S3s lasered Nordschleife! I hope it will be Volksfest in the greens offside the tarmac!