The last thing holding this simulator back...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Dec 1, 2022.

?

Want KW studios in adopting a new or upgrade their game engine to support DX11,DX12 or Vulcan

1. Extremely important

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Important

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Doesn't matter to me

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. I don't care about graphics

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. omg another pole about the graphics

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    With the best sounds, best unique tracks, amazing selection of cars, ranked racing, and top notch FFB/physics, supreme setup editing UI (default, previous current values), the graphics is the only thing that is holding this gem back IMHO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I don't care for that. What I mean is, they can upgrade them if they want, but if all the old PCs can't handle the game afterwards, it is a massive letdown. Even toasters can handle the game, and that is a big plus.
    So i don't care what version or what graphics they have if only I can play the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    We know. They know. They know, we know. We know, they know. But hey, new poll.

o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. Spidybite

Spidybite New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I can just about get away with running it on my ANCIENT machine (Core 2 Quad!) - so I'm happy :)

Although others with top-notch/up to date hardware may feel as though they really should be able to use the available hardware resources - fair enough!
    Selfishly, I'm not bothered about that (although I would be IF I was in that group).

Hopefully we can all still enjoy whatever is coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    It's called pressure you smart ass. If they know, then why are they not addressing this issue with a roadmap or at least their intent, progress, rough timeline?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Settle down people.

7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Don't be so rude man cause in the end we're not the ones who decide about the future of RRE.
    And Wilko is right as well, despite the fact that many day one fans like me are urgently waiting for some serious changes.

Note that I also stopped racing RRE for a while now cause after 8 years it has somehow worn out for me and playing titles like ACC, AMS 2 or rFactor I highly appreciate the heightened immersion through light and weather effects alone, not to talk about the brilliant overall appearance gfx wise with DX 11/12. It's not as simple to say "oh I don't care about grafics" as it was 10-15 Years ago cause we have a total different approach to "state-of-the-art" today than we had back then, and the game development surely doesn't stop, while RRE is already ten years behind.

But tbh. the only realistic option to me seems to put out an RRE Compilation - best of RRE (Remastered, Evo, whatever) pimped up to DX 11/12 as a kinda standalone retail version...with anything else they would chase away a good chunk of their regular customers no matter what :

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  8. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    There's more than enough pressure to go around. I am certain the devs see more of it than we can deliver here.

9. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I agree. As senior technology person myself, the devs always have the pressure. I'm taking about pressure on the producers, owners, financial stakeholders.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I agree that visual overhaul would be great for the title's overall appeal, and the likely engine change that would be needed for that would also unlock potential for some extra features.

That said, the resources needed for that would probably match the ones required for making a completely new game. What possible gains would that allow for, and what gains would be needed for this venture to be reasonable? There's probably too big gap between those.

Imagine if Rennsport was Raceroom 2. They face the same challenges overhauled Raceroom would. Everybody wonders what's the unique offer from Rennsport that may convince people to switch from their sims of choice. And so far, it seems there's nothing like that on the table, and they may fail big in a saturated simracing market.

So as much as I would like for Raceroom to get that visual overhaul, I think there are several other options for it to gain more playerbase, more realistic ones, mainly in gameplay department.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Janos Kovacs

Janos Kovacs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Not the graphics is the problem, I personally think that RR looks more believable/realistic than a lot of modern eyecandy titles that look like barbieland made from plastic ;) its fantastic.

The problem is the CPU bottleneck created by the dx9 engine. You turn off the shadows and the game goes from 30 to 600 fps.

• Like Like x 2