Thomas Jansen's Setup Guide

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    The RaceRoom physics have been continuously improving, especially with the tire pressure update recently! One of my favourite things to do in simracing is to pick a car/track combo and explore the setup to be as fast as possible, but maybe more importantly, also nice to drive. On older physics these two things usually did not go hand-in-hand, but I'm glad to say that this is definitely fixed on the newest physics thanks to @Alex Hodgkinson! With a nice neutral and stable setup you can be just as quick as with a crazy, loose setup. Arguably you can be even quicker when consistency matters and tires wear out.

As setup information is not too common on the forum, I thought I'd start sharing what I come up with, with some insight on the choices I make along the way. This can hopefull help some people that are new to setups and are keen to learn!

For a given car/track combo I will upload the setup as a file and a screenshot, while also posting a video of a short stint with the setup (4-5 laps). I think this is much more representative than a single hotlap, as the laps in these stints will be 'safe' race laps, where I don't risk getting a cut-track or spinning, which is usually how hotlapping goes behind the scenes. Most likely there will also be some small mistakes in the laps, which can show that a good setup makes it easy to recover from those.

Once I have a few setups done, I will try to distill the important information that applies to setups in general into an overall setup guide, with some explanation what every setting is for/does and recommendations what to change to achieve certain goals. or what to look for in telemetry. This will most likely be a guide I will update as I go along and find out more about specific cars.

I use SecondMonitor to check my telemetry (big thanks to @Winzarten), So I will also share the telemetry for the laps in the stint video, for anyone interested.

I do have to note that I will be focusing on cars with the latest physics, so if you are hoping for a GT3 setup I will have to disappoint you unfortunately, unless the class is updated at some point ofcourse!

Main Setup Folder

Setup Directory:

KTM X-Bow GT4

Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964)
    Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
    Porsche 934 Turbo RSR
    Porsche 962 C Team Joest

Future Projects:

• Nissan R90CK | Mid Ohio Chicane
    • Suggestions are welcome!

• Like x 9
    • Love it! x 4