Known Issue Thrustmaster and new FFB - Feedback requested from all users

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by CaptainCoffee, Jun 27, 2021.

1. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Hello Thrustmaster user!

There are various messages when it comes to Thrustmaster users. Some of the users experience no issues while others can move the wheel with one finger which is definitely not how it is supposed to be.

To investigate this issue, I'm asking all Thrustmaster users to send some information:
    - controller name (start, type joy.cpl, more info in spoiler below)
    - is it working?
    - the controller profile (.rcs) (can be found in Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet)
    - windows version (and update, preferably)
    - Thrustmaster software version
    - the version of the driver for the wheel

You can send it either here as an attachment, in a private message on the forum or in a dm on discord

Controller name:
    check_controller_name.png

Windows version:
    get_windows_version.png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  2. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    current issue seemed to be that advanced mode gave an odd ffb feeling with just a spring weight and road noise. latest drivers, firmware and all that.w0.0.19042 winX

Attached Files:

3. Frank van Roon

Frank van Roon Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    - controller name: Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel
    - steering wheel works with almost no FFB feel on kerbs, grass and gravel
    - controller profile: Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel (2)
    - Windows 10 version 21H1 and updated
    - Firmware: 33.00
    - Driver: 2.10.68.0

upload_2021-6-27_13-46-59.png

4. Schmelge

Schmelge Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My issue resembles BubbleJohns. I mainly only feel the weight of the wheel. This is especially noticable when cornering. I don't get any information at all except for a rubber band tension effect while in corners. I only have road texture on straights. My wheel went from feeling pretty good to feel like a 90's toy.

OSversion.PNG
    TMversion.PNG

Edit:
    Adding controller profile as well as a pic of my FFB settings in TM software
    FFBsettings.PNG
    While doing some testing yesterday I stumbled upon this article on the thrustmaster site explaining what the four different settings does:
    https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/kb/107-en/

What I did to test was to turn everything off except for the strenght and then went through them one by one, restarting the game between every test and doing one lap in the same car on the same track.

What I found was that Constant does not do anything at all, nothing.
    Periodic does 99% of the FFB.
    Spring does nothing at all.
    Damper does 1% of the FFB, while standing still, damper helps with resistance from the wheels, ergo its more difficult to steer standing still but as soon as you get some speed it quickly fades into nothingness.

Judging by the text on TM's article, all of the settings play a pretty important role in the FFB which makes me think that there is something wrong since only one of them actually has any significant effect in the game.

I dont know how these things work but could it be that the devs has cramed all FFB effects into one channel or something and therefor much of the FFB drowns on itself?

As I said before, as long as I keep my wheel straight I get all info, road noise, curbs, grass, sandpit.
    But as soon as I am steering the wheel most of that is drowned out, I still feel significant bumps, like the really really major ones, I barely feel curbs, I do feel some grass and some sandpit but its very faded when I put some degrees on the steering wheel. Most of what I feel is pure restistance, like a rubberband, this is especially noticable in long corners, where I can see the FFB meter work like crazy up and down but all I get is a constant force to try to straighten the wheel.

In this pic:
    ffbmeter.PNG
    You can see the FFB meter go up and down like a jiggsaw, constantly up and down throughout the corner, then there is a massive drop. The jiggsaw part is where Im turning left, having this constant rubberband force trying to straighten my wheel, the drop is where I let the wheel go center, now as soon as I go center I start feeling slight rumble and vibrations giving the car a lively feeling, almost a bit too much to be honest.

But in that corner, regardless of if I go slow or fast, if I have maximum grip or if Im understeering, I have the exact same constant force applied on the wheel like the FFB meter would show a flat line in the same range as the jiggsaw.

Within the blue area, I can feel a bump on a straight just before taking a corner. The red area represent what the game is trying to output in the corner. I can not feel the red area other than the rubberband effect trying to straighten out my wheel.
    FFBMeter2.PNG

This is a screenshot taken in the middle of a corner, this whole graph I can not feel at all except for the constant force, felt like a rubber band trying to straighten my wheel
    FFBMeter3.PNG

@CaptainCoffee

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  5. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    @bubblejohns @Frank van Roon @Schmelge
    Thank you all for the info so far, but could you add the controller file to your posts as well? You can find the directory in the first post. Thanks in advance!

6. blgk

blgk Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

TMX here with the latest drivers and software (checked) and reset to the new default profile for this wheel.

I tested the Lada TC and I maybe I had more traction feeling than before, but with the BMW M6 I was spinning all the time. The first impression is that I've lost info from the wheel. Before the update I was using the default profile without changing anything.

Edit:
    Yesterday I was able to spend more time trying the new FFB. It's different from before but I think I'm starting to get it. I was able to catch some spins and I started to feel some understeer. I raised bump (vertical) effects to 20% and a little engine vibration (5%) in old cars (for "immersion"). FFB level was ok in the BMW M6 but In the Mercedes DTM'92 it was too low.
    Overall with my humble wheel (TMX) the new FFB works but it's a different beast.
    I'm in not my sim now, I'll try to attach the info later.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  7. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Hi blgk, can you edit the post with details of your setup like this?

- controller profile: Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel (2) (with attachment)
    - Windows versions
    - Firmware:
    - Driver:

We've heard multiple people say they were on the latest drivers/software and it turned out not be, so to be sure, please post the firmware and driver version

8. ⅀ℕiↅϻΔ

⅀ℕiↅϻΔ Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hi All
    I am using a T500RS with a Sparco 383Mod 33" big wheel.
    Windows Version is my personal setup No Cortana and other useless stuff
    Windows 10 Pro (carnaged Version :D)
    Version 2004
    Build 19041.508
    Driver is 2.10.10.0
    Firmware 47.00

Everything feels close to like before in Assetto Corsa ;) except the differential is still way better in IR2 or ACC or AC or AMS :p
    But now there are NO CURBS or Manhole cover anymore???
    The Manhole cover sounds like curbs now!!
    Tested on Norisring
    The Throttle still is like a rubberball!!
    Like on 1992 DTM BMW 25% throttle Nothing happens 30% hit the limiter but i have 70% of my pedal travel way left total UNrealistic o_O
    Thats 1/4 of the pedal i am using 3tpa Pro pedals with LC and 2 step throttle spring also Diview.

9. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Note that the driver is not fully up to date, it seems.

Can you also post your .rcs file please? Thanks in advance!

10. ⅀ℕiↅϻΔ

⅀ℕiↅϻΔ Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i just recognized the driver is NOT up to date but should not make any probs :)
    Updated i hope it will not break anything.
    Here is the rcs sorry missed that was in a hurry

Edit:Still the same with new driver no or to less Curb feeling also manhole covers are gone and sound like driving over curbs.
    Oh also the effect when i drive straight push the clutch and apply throttle the steeringwheel spin to the left or right cos of the engine mass. This is also gone same to shifting :(
    I do not want to use the fake effects like engine and stuff as i never used them before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  11. Jose Fernandez de Castro

Jose Fernandez de Castro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the TS-PC racer in advanced mode with the Ferrari 488 wheel and I also feel no curbs.I have the latest firmware and software.
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 21H1
    Installed on ‎6/‎16/‎2020
    OS build 19043.1081
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0
    Wheel:
    TS-PC Advanced Racer
    Firmware 13.0
    Latest Thrustmaster software
    Attaching controller set file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  12. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    T300rs with Ferreri wheel, feels like a lot of wheel rotation tension and light other physics feels...and even feels like its time-delayed feedback...but that might just be the deadened feel and something isn't coming through initially. dead fish

Windows
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 21H1
    Installed on ‎7/‎14/‎2020
    OS build 19043.1081
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

ControlSet attached.

Thrustmaster latest software and firmware
    Firmware 33
    driver 2.10.68.0

Lastly I was an older firmware, initially, 27.0 and it felt wayyyyyyyy better. just light feel for loss of the back.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ScoPi

ScoPi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya, I echo Sean's sentiments. I have the same setup as he does, including driver and firmware versions. See attached. Windows version:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    Installed on ‎4/‎11/‎2021
    OS build 19042.1052
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  14. ⅀ℕiↅϻΔ

⅀ℕiↅϻΔ Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    LOL test this!
    Take any Car drive at Laguna Seca and HIT this yellow curb stone.
    I CANT FEEL ANYTHING!!!
    The Tire is gona and susspesion is broken but only Crewchief tells me:confused:.
    Cant feel any bump and when i do not feel it there is no bumb so why is my car broken???
    Please please fix FFB.
    Oh also the flat tire is 4 times so hard as a curb and makes my T500RS clipping

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Master_of_the_house

Master_of_the_house New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Force feedback is fine - the old FFB was artifial now it feels like a real race car. this is why you feel that rubber band effect. I do some racing in real life during my free time i spend money for this - and RRE new FFB feels exactly the same as when i race.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  16. RacerMark

RacerMark Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Similar on T300 Rs Gt. A lot smoother but reducing linearity as low as 50% made a world of difference.
    Personally i think the ffb is fantastic and i can control cars a LOT better now.

Windows 10 pro
    Version 21H1
    installed 27/12/2020
    OS Build 19043.1055
    Package : 2.TTRS.2021
    Firmware 33.00
    Driver 2.10.68.0

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  17. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    To all: please do not go off topic. I will ask a moderator to remove all replies that do not have the required information to keep it as clean as possible

• Like Like x 3
  18. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jose, can you please edit your post to actually post the versions and the .rcs? Thanks in advance.

That's what this (and the Logitech) topic(s) are for :)

Hi ScoPi, can you please edit your post with the versions of your software and the .rcs. Thanks in advance.

Hi RacerMark, could you edit your post to include the versions of your software? Thanks in advance.

19. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    In this thread we're still talking about Thrustmaster wheels, right? A T300 has an output of approx. 4nm, so of course you can't compare that to RL forces.

To come even close I think you have to use an DD wheel configured to an output strength of at least 10-15nm I'd suggest (don't have a DD). I you suffer nm you only have a small bandwith to use for different feedbacks. Too small for good accuracy and differentiability. Hey - there has to be a reason why people spend 2000 bucks just for their wheel setup ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. ScoPi

ScoPi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Done.