Wreckfest

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Andy Kettler, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Weird tech?

2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Such a cool game! Just checked out the new tracks from the update.
    Do you guys remember Rally Trophy from bugbear?

4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Tried it with wheel and pedals for the first time and worked really well, a fun game!

5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I paste and copy my posting here. If you have VR and Wreckfest, you should try this!!!

But before I start: a shifter with hard spring settings is so wonderful in this game. There is some animalitsic satisfaction to be gained from slamming the next gear of my new Fanatec SQ 1.5 in while bumping into somebody else or accelerating with all the dust and car pieces flying around you. It feels brutal. It feels dirty. It feels fitting perfectly well. :D Its like letting a fist fly and it lands right in the face of the guy in front of you. It feels like fresh meat before your feet, and the club still dripping with blood in your hand. It feels goooaaad! Note to myself: "Wreckfest. Shifter. Nobrainer. "

----

As we all know, Wreckfest has no VR support.

BUT:

If you have a beefy system (means: strong enough that it can handle both VR running AND Wreckfest running), try to run the game in a virtual cinema mode. I mean launch VR, and start a software like Virtual Desktop. Maybe it also works with the Virtual Desktop of the Oculus app, I have not tried that. I run Virtual Desktop with a Cineplexx cinema mod. And that means: the monitor screen is mirrored on the movie screen, at the (virtual) size of a cineplexx megascreen.

Now: you do not get stereoscopic 3D view that way, of course not but you get the game running in much bigger picture scale than on a monitor. It jumps into your face, so to speak. I can tell you: it is the second best thing to real stereoscopic 3D. It works excellent, and reveals an ammount of beauty in Wreckfest's world that so far had escaped my eyes on a single screen. The wetaher and lighting also worksd out so much better. I am shocked I did not do this earlier.

Why I have not tried that earlier? Because not every game works well this way, on a virtual movie screen. I tried it with The Hunter before, but the hopping movement, the shaking of the view from side to side whenever I walked, gave me VR sickness, although I am usually invulnerable to that. So I had not tried other non-VR games this way, The Hunter was my first and my last experience in "pseudo-VR". So, it depends on the game. Wreckfest works magnificent this way, I did three races á 5 laps each, and I am still alive and well, and stunned by what I just saw!

Try it, its worth it. I will never play Wreckfest on screen again. This is like Wreckfest 2.0 for me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  6. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
  7. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I ordered it today togeather with the handbrake.

An thats just YOUR FAULT!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^ You will like it. The nice feature of it is that it is quick and easy to adjust the resistance for the H-pattern shifting. An issue of seconds. You can easily adjust it to your taste and your mounting options. My table is a bit looser than a massive cockpit build, so I cannot set it as tough as I would want. But even the milder settings give a satisyfying mechanical feedback. A clonking sound speakimg the language of raw... of raw... of anything, but it is raw. :D

For those needing it, changing from H-pattern to sequential is a thing of a second. Two sliders left and right, and done. Pushing a button is not easier.

Note that you need the separate adapter if you do not connect it directly to a Fanatec wheel base, but want to USB-ing it directly to the PC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No, i plug it in my CLS PS4 but just realized that the cable is only 1.15 mtr. Wow...ok, have to check out for a longer one...and the table mount 40 €....ok, we talk about Fanatec, sure...but....wow... :)

10. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody know what graphics engine they're using?

11. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    game engine is called romu, its all inhouse

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
  13. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    id say only name and few lines of code are common with 2004 version tho :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    :)

It's really cool stuff. Did not expect such a big effort from the handbrake in DR 2.0

Pure fun. Good buy.

Attached Files:

15. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a handy brake :) Is it just like an assigned on/off button or is it kind of analogue, to vary braking pressure if the game allows it? And how does it feel in Wreckfest?

16. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Holiday Update released!

http://community.bugbeargames.com/threads/holiday-update-released.12043/

HIGHLIGHTS
    • Two new tracks: Hellride & Vale Falls Circuit
    • Event voting in multiplayer
    • Player hosted public servers
    • Car customization in multiplayer lobby
    • Visualization for cars that just have been reset
    • Ragdoll can now be reset after driver was ejected
    • Support for DLC Modified Monsters Car Pack
    • Various stability & performance improvements

• Like Like x 2
  19. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not so important for me. Wreckfest offline ? my 6 y old son, me = Wreckfest online

20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Imagine the AI in Wreckfest beign so good that it avoids all collisions.

No, the aI does exactly the job it was designed to do. Smacking and whacking. I recall one day having read a thread in their forum with online players complaining about other player not racing "clean" and always bumbing into other players. Some people seem to have not gotten the idea behind Wreckfest! :D Myself, I Iive by two rules only: no rules allowed, and: if it moves, its a mandatory target - until it moves no more.

After all the motto of Wreckfest is: drive hard, die last. Hausverbot für Milchtrinker, Yogurtdeckelablecker und Warmduscher! Think of it as Speedball 3 on wheels.

• Funny Funny x 1