Question Xbox controller

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Shellslad79, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I've always been a console gamer and I'm new to PC gaming. I literally joined Steam and this community yesterday. I've read on several treats and forums that a wired Xbox 360 controller should work on RaceRoom Experience, but while I plugged that controller into my USB port, I can't register it in the game or get it to work. Can any one help me with what's wrong.

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    it should work, yes.
    What happens when you start the game with the controller plugged in? Usually there should be a pop-up at the top of the screen asking you to configure your controller. Does that appear?
    What you can try (to check if it's recognized at all) is go into the controller options, primary options, double click any function (like throttle or steer left) and press the controller button you want assigned for that. In theory doing so should create a new custom controller profile.

What else can you check...Search for the controller in Windows (press windows key + i, select devices, scroll down to where it says devices and printers and click that. Now you should see a page with all connected devices, including the controller. Right-click it, select gamecontroller settings and make sure that it is set to be the main game controller. Next click on options and in the window that pops up go to preferences. Here you can (re-)calibrate your controller, do that.)

If nothing helps, report back here.
    Good luck

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello Christian,

I haven't had time yet to try what you told me, but i can tell you what I've done so far.

The controller is uploaded in Windows, I just plug it in after I start the game. If I go into controller option I don't get the message to configure it. I do get a message that says something like "search controller". But when I click that nothing happens. I do have a burn mark on the controller cable because apparently it was lying next to a cable that short circuited. I don't know if that might be a problem, it still does work on my Xbox 360. I have also tried playing RaceRoom with both a PS3 and PS4 controller, they don't work either. I've tried making the 360 pad work with and without pushing the Xbox logo in the middel of the controller. I will try either tonight or tomorrow what you described and I'll get back to you if that doesn't work.

4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That might be the cause then, make sure it is plugged in before you start the game. Then the controller configuration pop-up should appear and guide you through creating a profile. After that you can review the settings in the controller options and re-assign certain functions according to your preferences.

Cheers

5. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I tried everything you said. It still doesn't work. I can't change the controller settings in Windows 10 as you described either. All I get is a "detect controller" message in the controller profile. I guess i'm just gonna have to wait until i can afford a steering wheel. Thank you anyway for the reply

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So it doesn't show the gamepad as a connected controller in Windows?
    Are you sure you're looking at this page?
    Unbenannt.JPG
    (sorry it's German, but should look somewhat like this) You can also reach this by right-clicking the windows sybol in the low left, selecting control panel and in there selecting printers and devices. Does it show the controller in there? If it's there and you right click it you can open the gamecontroller settings and see if it works properly (and calibrate).

Alternatively you can go to the properties window by pressing win-key + r, typing joy.cpl and hitting enter.
    The window that should appear looks like this (left):
    Unbenannt.JPG
    and if you double click the controller in there the window on the right should appear.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am on that page. Although I see your controller icon actually looks like a controller, like my PS3 controller did when i installed it. But my Xbox controller icon looks like your ABC-PC one and i can't get into that calibrate menu, which I that get with my PS3 controller. So maybe it's the 360 controller itself.

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, don't want to put the blame on Microsoft, but it does sound a bit like Windows doesn't recognize the controller correctly then. Made me wonder, is it a MS product or some third party pad designed for the x360?
    Have you tried plugging it into a different usb port? (Sometimes certain ports fail to deliver the voltage needed, especially frontside ports.)
    Are you connected to the internet when you plug it in? Might sound silly, but when you plug it in for the first time Windows needs to download the drivers.

9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I just went through this as well. On a fresh install of Windows 10, I simply plugged in my Xbox 360 controller, and windows recognized it and I believe it doesnt even need drivers since it is built into W10 to work by default.

So, perhaps try a different USB port like Christian suggests and then check if it is recognized in your devices listing found within the control panel as mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense that the driver should be included, guess it depends if your Windows is up to date or not...
    Here's what MS suggests: https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox...indows-setup#ade406f40c6241c98d5d9db7fd40da4e

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Windows is up to date, but I've bought my Xbox 360 second hand of my mate and it's an original one. The controller still wired with a battery charger in the back. Maybe that's the problem.

12. serpents on a vessel

serpents on a vessel Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Battery charger in the back? So its a wireless controller. It needs an adapter to work on PC, one like this

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261240382210?_mwBanner=1

The USB cable for the wireless controller only sends power to charge the battery, it doesnt send data.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks. I'll try that. I'll use keyboard for now.

14. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while, but I've bought a xbox 360 controller now. It works fantastic. Thank you every one for the help and advise. I won't be a regular here, because I've just become a dad. But thank you all again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  15. alexharkett

alexharkett New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but should R3E work with the wireless version of the 360 pad as well as the wired version.
    I'm having no luck on W10 as yet ... same problem, it can't see the pad in game. Bit annoyed as I've bought this because my steam controller didn't work either :(

16. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As far as information I've collected before I bought my own controller, it should work with wireless and wired versions. I just bought a wired one because they where cheaper

17. alexharkett

alexharkett New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I worked out it was just the setting I had selected for the Xbox controller in Big Picture. I changed the setting from Xbox 360 specific to direct input or something and then it worked perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TotosaLoko

TotosaLoko New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Use this setting:

Attached Files:

19. Shellslad79

Shellslad79 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's working now. Thank you