Learning to drive or i don't even know the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KyleGas, Apr 27, 2016.

1. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hello people!

I am relatively new, but not ALL new to racing sims. I have been coming back to it recently by playing Assetto Corsa and i was like: "Man, this is hard!" After a couple of weeks i read a comparisson of PC, AC and Raceroom, something i normally don't do since i like to stick with the game i decide for. But then it said this: if you want the real thing, try Raceroom and it is for free! So i thought what the hell!

I downloaded the thing and there you go: Crash on start up! Well, after checking the cache files on steam it worked like a charm and even though it tried to really scare me off with registering on the website and a menu that made me feel like i was gonna be sick any moment, i made it through to my first lap in portugal.........(silence)......did i say i wasn't new to racing sims? Well, after this first lap i knew that i was. In fact, i never in my life had been driving before!

Anyhow as much as i am hooked and as much as i think every bit of this "game" is just genious (except for the menu), i realized i am a real shitty driver and i actually don't have the slightest idea what to do about it. Hence the title, i don't even know my question even though i have so many.

Just how does a real person learn to master these tracks and these monsters of cars? Is it wise to start out with a slow car on easy tracks? Does that even exist? Do i watch professionals? Are there videotutorials (just kidding....i think)? Is there a certain series i should buy that just any old noob can...i was about to say win but last place with less than 10 seconds of gap to the next guy would actually be kind of a success for me.

Now don't get me wrong i play only on the hardest setting, since i believe very much in the learning of bullshit which i want to avoid as much as possible. That means, if i get around this corner on easy, i probably won't get around it on hardcore so why do it in the first place.

If anybody could give me any adwise on how to improve my driving i would be very glad. I might add that i already know i will have to practice a lot and also i know i will have to shut up and drive. So if your advise was gonna be one of those i am sorry.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I would say that starting off with a slower car can make you better for several reasons (you have more time to react and adapt to the nuances) so the NSU really is a great car to learn both, driving and tracks. Same goes for the Audi TT Cup car and the WTCC cars, they're all FWD cars and therefore don't step out as easily as some of the faster RWDs.

And to become faster you have to just drive, nothing beats practice when it comes to racing. What you can do however is watch onboard footage from real racing drivers around the track you want to learn, those will give you a good idea of where the ideal line is and what special characteristics to look out for.
    In-game you can used leaderboard challenges to challenge other drivers times. If you go to the leaderboard of your desired car and track combo you will see all the times posted by others and at the very right of each entry there's a challenge button. Pick sb up top (maybe not the top 5 dogs tho, they might disappear soon cause you won't be able to keep up) and make sure you enable race line and ghost in the pre-race menu (bottom right). Now you will see that persons ghost and their racing line, so you can try and catch that ghost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I have read about the ghost thing before and will definitly give it a try. I'll also try those cars.

4. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to Raceroom

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you mate, though possibly worse, as I hadn't played *any* racing sims until a few months ago. The learning curve seems quite steep and no modern sims seem to have a "driving school" - the old GTR2 sim from 2006 does, and can be picked-up very cheap (think it's only £1.99 on Bundlestars) but it feels quite different from R3E and the graphics, whilst not bad, are a bit dated. It might be worth trying, though to give an idea of some basics for race driving.

I've been trying to follow some of the advice given here and do some Leaderboard challenges, though for some of the "learner" cars (Silhouettes, NSU, Formula Jnr) it can sometimes be hard to find a track/car combo that anyone has actually set a leaderboard time for!). Also I'm still having problems trying to actually follow the Leaderboard race lines at any kind of speed, though using a gamepad doesn't help...

On the Racedepartment forum they also run some rookie races for Raceroom, which might be worth investigating.

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sadly that is actually true and one of the negative consequences of cars being updated. All those cars (Silhouette, Aquila etc.) were downgraded and therefore the leaderboards had to be wiped in order to offer a fair challenge cause nobody would have been able to even come close to the previously set times.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Which I agree was the right thing to do, but makes it harder for us rookies who need to learn!

BTW Is it possible to "spectate" multiplayer races in-game, somehow? Watching videos, whilst helpful, is not the same

8. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I got a wheel and some content for this game once I decided I wanted to start simracing, and that was really hard. I started with the DTM 2013 pack and a Koenigsegg CCGT. (and a few tracks)

With those cars I spun around in almost every corner, and I also started with tracks like Bathurst and Moscow, wich aren't the easiest of tracks I believe.

Finally I just got a few cars from the Touring Classics (Skyline GTR, BMW M3 E30) to help me learn the tracks more. That worked out really well!

TL;DR Get the Skyline and a few tracks like Zandvoort, Mid Ohio and Suzuka. I think those tracks with that car can teach you proper racing. Maybe the NSU TTS aswell!

Edit: I also watched this video for some basic tips about learning new circuits and this video on proper racing etiquete when it comes to overtaking/defending

• Like Like x 1
  9. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  10. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    practice, practice, practice..Thats the only way to get better ;)

and welcome to R3E

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If you join Race Department (small fee but a wonderful community) Bram does a driving school (albeit in AMS.... It's worth it though!). I learnt a lot from that! But Yeh practice practice practice.... And don't give up if you are the back of the pack! I typically am in the back 25% of any race but them moments when it all comes together are amazing! I was in a 27 man kart race with RD in AMS and finished 7th twice... Should have been 3rd but the 2nd race the pressure got too much lol. But I'm still learning. RD do a great R3E club and there is no pressure even if you are slow just so long as you drive with respect. And you will learn a lot

12. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. I'll check it all out later.

Oh and kudos to the community. I was expecting loads of hate. It's almost irritating ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Is that first video from raceroom? If so: Isn't that a Radical? Where did he get it?

14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
  15. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    That's iRacing. And yes, it's still a Radical :)

Pff, this community and hate? That doesn't mix well! This community is awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. KurtV

KurtV Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The Iracing Driving School has good Tips for Beginners:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0

You've been reading PretendRaceCars, haven't you. Confess ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Think they also do a driving school for R3E now, though I missed the last one and the next one hasn't been scheduled yet, but should be soon

19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    This is one of the best gaming communities I've ever come across :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    No, but i had my share of diablo 3 forums and all sorts of blog comment sections....
    Is there a similar thing for central europe??? With summertime *sigh* i am gmt + 2 (it seems) and so those hours are absolutely horrible for me :)