Help getting more players to the game!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Jun 11, 2015.

1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Don't think so, people are used to this happening. What about those buying content when it's not on sale (steam...), pricing models change all the time. Also you can always give out some freebies, as long as people are dealt with respect and informed, it should be okay. Transparency wins, everyone knows s3s is not someone like EA ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I promote the game as much as I can but unless you're talking with serious sim racers it's hard. There really is no single player campaign where the game holds your hand to get you started.
    Your first experience with the game is trying to figure out what to do.
    Until the recent patch the interface was a horrific mess. Even I would get lost in there.

I don't think the name does it any favours either.
    Race Room Racing Experience just doesn't sound cool like Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo or Forza Motorport.
    I would love to see it rebranded and relaunched with much fanfare.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Certainly would be no backlash from myself, i think it would be perfect, but it's been said numerous times that the licences have been secured specifically to this business model and they would each need renegotiating.

Maybe a compromise would be to offer an 'all in one' pack with all existing content for xxxx VRP, but I'm afraid the business model (probably the biggest barrier to entry that I see) is unlikely to change.

Definitely agree with the OP though; it's annoying that Steam gives the same credence to the review of someone who played for 10 minutes as one who has enjoyed it for hours (especially when they haven't paid a penny to do so - if they had, they might have put more time in), but I have been going through and rating them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Rodger and the sad part is most folks don't look at playtimes just whether or not the game is recommended. In all my steam reviews I always state in the first line that I've played the game long enough to have formed an opinion. The problem with gaming is that for the most part many gamers now need their hands held through each step of the way and theres no hand holding in this game the way there was in GTR2 etc (teaching you how to accelerate through a corner,etc). Kids play the free content for five minutes and the tires don't catch on fire or they don't set a new lap record and they leave a bad review.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    It's based on these features that ANY sim racer will evaluate the product. They are the starting points.

I really don't know what we can wait. How long will take the next patch??? 6 months??

And it will finally bring the ALL the BASIC stuff?

The numbers talk better than me.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/211500,244210

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well, might be that it`s part of the deal S3 has with other contractors /sponsors or even Race Room , nevertheless I would appreciate some transparency to explain to us why they still cling to it..like I once suggested they could change the free parts into a kinda demo area so that there`s no loss for those who are already into on f2p basis only....whatever, there's always a solution ...isn't it ? @J-F Chardon ?

But as for the nay-sayers and nitpickers, my impression is many are just indulged kids (young & old sry), or preoccupied folks that have a hard time to change their mindsets, another group are surely those who actually want a kinda NfS, Project Gotham, Shift or GT with more realism like provided (a niche I guess PC tried to fill), and there are those who are more the kind of car/vintage car admirers but not neccessarily racing/motorsports purists - while R3E is made for racing purists by racing/motorsports purists...and that takes some time and effort to get into - lets not forget many ppl are lazy & inflexibel and want what they are used to ..and I hope Sector 3 never bows to them for just "commercial" reasons...Additionally when I look around I see literally millions of players who are merely consuming one game after another - for a short-time rush- not appreciating them anymore- no wonder why they are over-saturated having a load of half-played titles in their shelfs....R3E is a long-term project and I'm sure it will blow away anything when its time has come..but patience is something that doesn't belong to the momentary Zeitgeist unfortunately..
    The time when I started with Simracing, man ! I'd given one arm to get something like R3E !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    i totally agree, yet ive never been a big race watcher and prefer R3E just on the strength of the gameplay and the immersion. No other driving title gets my heart pumping the way R3E does in a good multiplayer race.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    1) lack of flag rules
    - Depends on what you define as flag rules. The only flags not present would be yellows (none of the major games other than iRacing actually enforce yellows) and blue flags (none of the major games enforce blues).
    2) lack of fuel use
    - I agree with this and it will likely be addressed at some point in the future. Not having a date on when it will be available is frustrating for most. As a person who loves pit stops and the strategy they bring it is something I am looking forward to. It's unfortunate that it isn't there but it's not really a deal breaker for most as you still at least have tire degradation.
    3) lack of tyre temps and use
    - As far as I'm aware tires do gain and lose temperature they just tend to have a wider operating range than other games allow for as well as cold tires not being as punishing as other games.
    - As far as use I'm not sure what you're referring to but I'm guessing it's about choosing different tire compounds. This is split among racing games in terms of which have it and which don't so I can't really see this being a deal breaker for most people either
    4) lack of brake temps and fading
    - Brake temperature is a neat thing to have and I have no idea if R3E has it or not. Games that do have it rarely have it effect the car beyond maybe the first corner you come to as having realistic brake operating temperature requirements would force a lot of extra settings regarding brake cooling to also be present to correctly control brake heat. Basically it becomes an entire system that doesn't give much of an appreciable effect in the actual racing experience.
    - Brake fading isn't present in most of (if not all, I am not 100% sure) of the current crop of racing games so I'm not sure how it makes a key missing feature list unless it's just a feature you would like to see in most racing games.
    5) lack of triple screen support
    - Definitely something that needs to be addressed and S3S have stated multiple times they are working on it. Getting the fine tuning capability most people want in triple support is not an easy feat.
    6) lack of storable setups
    - Something S3S has said they are working on. Without different weather conditions it isn't as 'key' as people might think it to be since you do still get one setup per car and track combination.
    7) lack of custom skins
    - Mostly for league players and usually not so much a deal breaker as an annoyance they voice.

I hope you understand I am not doing this from a 'fanboy' perspective. Yes I enjoy R3E quite a bit, but mostly I just wanted to break down what you were actually asking compared to what is present and what is offered in the other current crop of racing games.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I highly doubt S3S will discuss their business model with us and frankly I don't blame them. The company I work for makes computers, phones, tablets, and they just put out a watch a month or so ago and they don't discuss business models or strategies with employees much less customers.

I don't think one person here is a fan of the f2p model and I think we'd all prefer to have bought the game in one lump sum rather than packs and individual items, but I think we all agree that we enjoy the game and this is the business model that's used, so we'll deal with it. Will it change? I'd love to see it and much like everyone else I'd love to see a base pack released with content to get more folks involved with the game. My best guess is that S3S is taking the money they get from each item sold and investing in new content. I'd guess the WTCC, DTM, and ADAC licenses weren't cheap to obtain and I can only imagine what track licensing and scanning data must cost. If paying per item is how S3S continues to do business then I'll continue to purchase that way because this sim while it doesn't have a few items I want (yellow flags, fuel consumption, a few car manufacturers), it has plenty that keeps me playing day after day with custom seasons, great tracks, great series, thunderous sound, a hell of a development team and a hell of a group of great guys to bounce ideas around with on a forum daily. There's no other game on the market IMO that comes close to offering what this game does.

• Like Like x 1
  10. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Me too, actually it was the other way round..was always interested in motorsports but from the drivers perspective not as a peer or visitor of events, but sims like R3E brought that perspective to me and what you say about the unique sense of immersion and thrill R3e provides..

• Like Like x 2
  11. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I don't want to, cause its not of my buisness - just a brief explanation for their decision, in a closed thread if neccessary :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think if the Assetto Corsa crowd were to try this game as it stands today there would be a mass exodus since most of the complaints they have, RRE has mostly addressed. Speaking from experience, I tried this game 6 months or so ago and just hated it, compared to AC, the cars just felt like lumps of lead. I was drawn to reinstall and try again after the last update email i received and I was absolutely shocked at how good the game suddenly felt. I have been turned into an addict overnight!

So the question is how to appeal to the "me's" of this world and convince people who tried it and hated to give it another shot. It seems a bit underhand to post a thread on AC doing that, any other ideas?

• Like Like x 3
  13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Word of mouth I think.

I still feel R3E needs to do an open weekend every now and then. Open up the game completely for anyone to play for a 48 hr period.

Then watch the people roll in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Better publicising the adac gtm 2014 and DTM 2014 demos would be a good idea - or, now they're free anyway, roll that content (or some of it) into the 'free to play' section of the game, then shout about it on Steam

15. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Wrote a review.. Hope it helps!

• Like Like x 5
  16. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Probably a thing that will help sales is scaling and tiering.To make it clear I will say that the game needs 4 or 5 price tiers with predetermined prices that unlocks a portion of content.So for example pay 20 euros and get DTM 92,WTCC 13 or 14 and ADAC 13 or 14.Then a second tier at 40 Euros that includes all mentioned before plus DTM 13 or 14 and GT2.Then a third one at 60 with all of the previous tiers plus Group 5 and any of the experiences or car packs left.Then 80 with all track packs and afinal price of 100 that unlocks all content and allows for lets say a 20% sale on all future content.

• Creative Creative x 2
  17. Race Doedel

Race Doedel Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I also wrote also a steam review.

But its really a pity that only so few racer online :oops:
    MP in RRE is really great and also the racer are very fair in RRE (most times).

Main problem is that everybody has different content.

I always looking for races in the following order:
    1) DTM 1992
    2) Group C
    3) GT2 Class

I like nearly every track. I just hate Silverstone, dont know why. The strange thing: I started my sim racing career in Silverstone with the good old C64-Revs :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Not that strange; they did kill Silverstone in real life!

I agree with what you say though; I'm usually looking for GTR2, GT Masters or Group 5, I sit in a server for a while and then go play offline (no hardship, the AI are a lot of fun).

19. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Have I missed something? When did we get Silverstone in R3E?

20. Race Doedel

Race Doedel Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, don't know if Silverstone is in RRE, but I will never ever buy that or play it for free.
    I am waiting for Macau, thats great.