how do you approach the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jynn, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Since this is very much a sandbox type 'do whatever you like' type game, it can be a bit hit or miss when trying something. I think I'm correct when saying we all like to have a goal and feeling like we're improving on the way to that goal.

The way I've started playing is to setup championships for each class with a quali + 10 minute race and then do a race or 2 in each class in a session. It's great for variety but the problems I'm finding are:

- too little time on each track means I don't get to know it well enough leading to feeling slow as well as too many accidents.
    - getting mixed up over brake points in different cars on same track

One thing Iracing does really well is that because you're on a car/ track combo for a whole week, you REALLY get to know all the subtleties of that track and end up driving at 100% of your ability, whereas in RRE, I'm at 90% at best and it sucks knowing I should be 2-3 s faster. Of course I could spend 20 minutes hotlapping before each race, but a) that gets boring and b) risk reward ratio is not right to spend 20 minutes practise for a 10 minute race. I could also do a much longer race, but I find those are more likely to end up driving alone in front or at the back, again a bit boring and I prefer longer races to be done online only.

So with that in mind and using a goal oriented approach I'm going to try the following.

- make a championship with just 1 track, and repeat that track 5 times (same quali + 10 minute race format)
    - 1 restart allowed on 1st lap
    - if I come in the top 3, bump up the ai difficulty by 2 for the next championship

I'm thinking this is more likely to have me driving at 100% by the end of the championship leading to a more rewarding experience.

How do you guys approach the game?

2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I usually pick 8 - 12 tracks I feel like driving for the time being, either short tracks / layouts, medium or long tracks, and then altering for the next championship.

Starting of in Touring classics, then DTM 92, Pro car and then G5.
    When the GTO class will be updated I finish off with that.

Then I go to WTCC, then GT3, GT2 etc, etc.

Have done this for a long time.
    Before we had custom championships I used pixeljetstreams custom championship tool, and before that I used a pen and paper. :)

But lately I have really gotten to miss the mandatory pit stops!!
    So I don't think I will start a new championship until we get that implemented..
    Might do a WTCC 2014 when I think about it, but would really like to see two race formats and reversed grids implemented!

Will probably start a new DTM 2014 and ADAC GTM championships until I get the pits tops in R3E.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  3. edgarherrero

edgarherrero New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't play offline anymore as online action is what motivates to play any kind of game, and even more in simracing where, in my opinion, the real action is in multiplayer with online championships and all that stuff. So in RaceRoom I do most of the times all the hotlap competitions that I can (they're a challenge really, trying to improve your best time can be hard and you learn a lot from it because you need to setup your car properly), and from time to time I jump into multiplayer servers for some racing. :)

4. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    "How do you approach the game" -I walk up to it and mumble ""hi" -if the game responds, I tend to ask it if I could maybe drive around on a track of some sort Sometimes I get rejected, and sometimes I get to ride :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yeh I was also sick of being turned down, I mean I had enough ego bruising in high school asking chicks out, I don't need my frikken game doing it to me. You need to read 'Pick up lines for games - never be rejected again', gems like 'What’s the difference between a Ferrari and an erection? I don’t have a Ferrari.'
    Game let me play every time.

6. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Single player Championships only! I love SP and AI in this sim! Mandatory pit stops would make this title even better!

• Like Like x 1
  7. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    its simple. If i believe that i am super racer i go and take the car that i don't like or cant handle so good. That usely take my down from my high horses and make me more motivated. And if i don't think its fun or that's i am tired i don't play that game. I believe its important to only do it for fun and not a prestige dead serious must to be best of all. I have equal fun racing for first place or race to not get last place.

• Like Like x 1
  8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Same like SweSin and I'm the analytical type means I love to figure out what the car does and what not in terms of setup tweaking - I also like to stay as close to reality as possible (cockpit view , no paddle shifting with classic cars even the DFGT just "emulates" H-shifting/sequential shifting)- I know some "smart guys" partially use settings and techniques that are totally unrealistic but provide an advantage (because it works) which for me is cheating - thats why I would like a full damage/full mechanical failure model for RRE.
    Originally I started with RRE just for some occasional fun with Singleplayer Races and used to prepare myself in a similar way like Heppsan. But since MP is so great, I mostly start with some SP practice laps to get adapted to a new track or car, then over to LB challenge to see how competitive I really am (also to check out/compare my setup tweakings) well - and then its time to floor it with MP Sessions :)
    I would like to do some more SP Championships but atm I miss full pitstop features/flag rules ( and what I wrote above regarding damage) a more directly adaptive AI and a more consistent AI behaviour cause from my experience it strongly varies from track to track (e.g. driving on 100%with the same series on one track can be fine but on another you have no chance, or the AI is so slow you get bored)...

• Like Like x 1