Suggestions for Custom Championship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wasserfuchs, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Wasserfuchs

Wasserfuchs Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

since the new FFB has arrived, I play Raceroom a lot, especially the Custom Championship mode. My suggestions concern the creating and editing of championships.

1) Option to save and load track selection
    This option already exists for the selected AI.

2) Drag and drop in track selection
    I think it would make the editing of your calendar way easier than to click on arrows to move the venues. In this context it would also make sense to present the selected tracks in a list rather than the existing solution.

3) Option to edit AI strength, damage, fuel consumption, etc. in a running championship
    It would be really helpful if we could choose AI strength separately before starting a new race in championship. Maybe it is due to my disability to drive some tracks properly, but with AI strength 105 sometimes I am 1 second faster than my opponents and on some tracks 3 seconds slower. So it would be nice if I could adapt the AI to my performance on each track. Also it would be great to have the possibility to change options like damage and fuel consumption behavior during the championship.

Have a nice week!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As you most likely noticed, the user interface is in the midst of an overhaul, getting updated to a new look and improved functionality bit by bit.
    I don't know in which order the pages that haven't been so far will get updated but eventually they all will. We're already collecting ideas and suggestions for the missing pages and I'm adding yours to the list. If and how they might be implemented is only for the devs to know. ;)
    It's most likely a mix of both. Nobody is equally strong on all tracks, so player performance is part of the equation here, but there are also differences in how fast the AI are relatively at a given level on different tracks.
    While we're trying to minimise that difference and adaptive AI can make up for those differences if it's trained well, I also think an option to set AI strength per race within a championship would be a useful additional feature.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  3. Wasserfuchs

Wasserfuchs Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot, Christian!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joakim Tärnström

Joakim Tärnström Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The racing against the AI is second to none and I think it will serve the multiplayer version of Raceroom well as it is a great training tool. I’m glad to see that you are improving it.

I realise your list of wishes may be long but here’s another one to add. Would it be possible to have the option of exporting the race results from the results screen in a csv-format that could be imported into Excel easily?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    A generally better (as in more informative and detailed) presentation of race and championship results is high up on almost everyone's wish list. :) Result exports haven't been mentioned as often in the past, so I'll make sure it's on the list.

As always, no promises, but if a request is worthwhile and doable without rewriting large parts of the game, chances are generally pretty good for it to make it into the game eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. sampopel

sampopel Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    A couple of things that would really enhance the Custom Championship:
    • Ability to have customised points system - particularly when racing large fields of 30+ cars, being able to have a points system where say the top 20 score points, it gives more incentive to keep on battling even if you're running low down the order.
    • Ability to customise the AI names and driver attributes - it's so much more immersive if you know who you're AI opponents are rather than racing against a bunch of people I've never heard of.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I agree that the ability to change AI strength, and actually all the settings for each race (race length/time, time of day etc) would be fantastic; and yes, customize the points system. It would also be nice if you could save the game after qualifying.

I’ve been using ‘second monitor’ for the past year or so, just to allow me to set different AI strengths at different tracks, and change the points, but to have the championship within the game do everything would be great.

Personally I’d love to see the championship go a step further. From what I can see, none of the games ever really take this portion of it seriously. Maybe the F1 series has done something, but I haven’t bought that since 2018.

Anyways, what I thought was, why not make a championship/career/management mode that is so much more then what anyone else does. I think this game is brilliant, and I believe that if RRE offered something far superior to the others, then they would attract more users.

I’m not necessarily thinking of something that is ‘graphical’, like the F1 series was doing, with cut scenes etc, as that takes a lot to do, and it gets repetitive. I’m just thinking of menus, with pull-downs, and it’s just text and number driven (if that makes sense).

What my suggestion is, is to have three different levels of a championship. A basic one that is somewhat typical of the current game (but with a few more variables). Then there’s the other end of the spectrum, which is the full-blown career/team management mode, with cost implications and then one in-between these two.

I’d like to see a team set up at the start of a season with a budget, and everything you do costs money (just like in real life). You only have so much per race, and things such as fuel, tires etc come out of that budget. You get maybe four sets of tires at the start of a race, so you can’t change them every time you come into the pits. If you damage your car, then it costs. Each section of the car has a dollar value, and if you crash, its coming out of your budget. The intent is, so that you cant just return to the pits and drive out again a second later in a fixed car. Depending on the damage, it takes time to repair, so maybe you lose 10 minutes in qualifying to repair a broken wing. If the damage is enough, then you may miss qualifying completely, and have to start at the rear.

I want to make a season feel as real as possible; make the player consider more then just driving. The other thing that is most important (IMO), is that there are options to decide if I want to do something or not... give me the ability to set it up the way I want, not what the developer thinks I want.

A long time ago I took the time and did a excel spreadsheet identifying how I would do it... all the options etc. I’ve attached a screen grab to show the extent of it. Sorry for the long winded note, but you touched on something I’ve wanted for a long time

Attached Files:

8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I think the licenses don't allow this most of the time. The licensed cars usually feature the names of the real drivers for each livery. It would probably only be possible for the few fantasy cars in the game.