Question how to go back to menu via key mapping?

Dieses Thema im Forum "Community Support" wurde erstellt von BRing, 18. September 2021.

Tags:
  1. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To go back from car to menu or to go back one step in menus I can use "ESC" on keyboard. But I want to map this button on my CSL Elite wheel.
    There is a back mapping in settings but that does not work :(

What is the keybind that helps me to go back in menus and from car to menu I can use on my wheel please?

I am a VR user and need this mapping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There isn't one. However, I use simhubs built in keyboard mapping to add the ESC keyboard function to my wheel..works well. Other options such as joy 2 key would also work

3. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I also wish we could have an mappable ESC or BACK button to keep all the menu controls on the wheel. It's very annoying to reach out for a keyboard when strapped in a motion rig. Hopefully, the next UI will be wheel input friendly (via the thumb joysticks) @J-F Chardon

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    I have Pause bind to my wheel and Esc on my buttonbox.

5. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I would also appreciate if a new UI would offer some predefineable chat messages which are selectable via control buttons. No need to reach for the keyboard and especially useful for VR drivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    If you're controller/wheel has buttons that are detected as a D-pad, you can already use it to navigate the menus.

In order to activate this mouse emulation you have to assign the keybinds called "left click" and "back" to buttons on the controller/wheel. They will act as the enter/confirm (left click) and back buttons similar to how they work on a game pad and you can push around the cursor with the D-pad.

Not sure if your wheel's "thumb joystick" is detected as a D-pad, but worth a try I guess.

Still need ESC for mp tho (see ravey's answer for a workaround).

7. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian,

First, I realized that I can get out from car into menus via mapping PAUSE button.
    The BACK button does not do anything. I do not know for what it is meant.

My controller (Fanatec Formula 1 wheel) has two thumbsticks.
    I know that I can assign the left one to be always on or to activate/deactivate it via button that I can also map to the wheel!
    When activated the left thumbstick works in 'mouse emulation' mode and I can so move the mouse around in the RR gui and also by pressing the left thumb emulate left mouse click (also if this is not! assigned in RR keyboard mappings. You can assign this in the Fanatec Driver Settings/Game Controller).

As I understand the Windows Game Controller settings or Fanatec Driver setttings (I think both terms are correct here) I can either have 'mouse emulation' or Joystick functionality on the Fanatec Formula 1 wheel.
    Only the mouse emulation moves the mouse in RR and Joystick emulation is obsolute.

D-Pad functionality seems to be always on in the controller settings. They are on the right thumbstick on the wheel.
    BUT these do nothing in RR in my case.

In a nutsheel, we will have to wait until thee is an ESC button mapping in RR available or the 'Back' mapping gets useful?! Or rely on 3rd party software :)

Anhänge:

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    Hi, the "back" button is only supposed to bring you back to a higher menu level. It's like the circle button on a Playstation game pad, where you confirm your selection with the X button and go back pressing O. "Left click" is the equivalent of X, "back" is equivalent of O.

So if I understood correctly you are able to move the mouse cursor in RR using the built-in mouse emulation?

And yes, the main problem right now is ESC, that needs to be changed on our side or you have to use soime external mapping tool to map it to a button, because, like some other keys, ESC is hardcoded right now, nothing we can do about it client-side.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got that now. Thank you for the true words. I think this should go into a FAQ or sticky ;)

What I still not manage to do is to navigate through the menus easily. I got you that the UI should be usable for controllers ( X-box, Playstation, D-input, Steam ...).
    Fact is that I am an older guy but never used a console gaming station, so I do not have any clue about these controllers and moreover I believe that the culprit is that they need to be 'translated' via Steam's own controller handling?
    You said earlier that RR needs to recognize my Fanatec wheel's right thumb as D-input controller.

My question is now how can I get this done? Do I have to change something in Steam's controller settings or anywhere else?

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    This is as good as it gets with the current menu. When using the D-pad on a game pad (like the box controller f.e.) you are also only able to push the mouse cursor around. It doesn't work like it normally does in console games where you have a highlight marker which you move from UI element to UI element. I'd like to see the menu work like that in the end, but right now pushing the cursor around with the D-pad or thumbstick in your case is the best it can do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Can't you just use a mouse or trackpad? You can still use a mouse through VR

12. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, at the moment I can't :)