Bug Car often being ruled off track when actually on

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Max Myth, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Max Myth

Max Myth New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone else experienced this? While in general, R3E has become almost unusable in the last couple of builds due to far longer load times, disappearing buttons, various loading screen loops, hangs etc., on occasion the game has deigned to let me on the track. When it does so, lap times are nullified at random, without the car going off.

To ensure that the game is counting valid lap times as invalid, I started the game as usual - as in, using the usual methods and options but subject to the unusually long load times and a few brand new bugs on the menu screens - and started single player sessions, as I always do. Once in game, I drove laps like I was following a Scalectrix groove down the middle of the track at relatively low speeds to ensure that not one wheel of the car would get within 2m of a track edge. Even then, lap times are almost invariably randomly disallowed at some point on the track, on both turns and straights. Over the last few sessions of trying, using R3E cars old and new, open wheeled and tin topped, old tracks and new, I have managed maybe four timed laps in total, while actually straying off course only a couple of times.

Some of the penalties given occur while in the middle of the start finish straight, maybe 3-4 car lengths past the start finish line. There is no doubt at all that the calls are rubbish.

I have installed, reinstalled, verified game file integrity, tried newer and rolled back drivers, used VR and pancake, turned off Crew Chief and Voicebot, changed penalty flag settings, driven at an average speed as low as 30kmh right down the middle of the course, looked for crash dumps when the game crashes (none there) etc. etc.. Nothing works, still get maybe 1 in 20 laps counted with a valid lap time.

Have I somehow fallen afoul of DRM? Is this tied to the game's front end apparently having considerable difficulties? Is the whole thing connected to what I assume are slow servers, as sometimes these time out?

Note that this is all very recent stuff. Up until now, R3E has been very nearly flawless for me.

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Are you talking about the leaderboard challenge mode? If your lap times are randomly invalidated, you've got severe problems with your internet connection, i.e. packet loss. This would also explain your other problems since the menus are working fine here.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I doubt the game sends your position to the server all the time to validate your track limits, even in leaderboards. I see a spike in outgoing data the moment I set an improved lap time, this is probably when the game sends your lap data to the server.

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Are you using the beta webmenu?

5. Max Myth

Max Myth New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi Marjuh. I only use Single Event mode in SP. I tried playing again this evening, and I had about eight laps in succession where they were timed fully and properly, and then the previously noted errors started up again and I was only able to get one more timed lap for the rest of the evening after many laps of trying and remaining well on the road. Actually, it was even worse than before; sometimes the lap timer reverted to --:-- within about 1m of crossing the line.

Incidentally, the HUD note that the lap will not be counted and that I went off track only appears if I actually do go off track. When the timing inexplicably stops while I am on the track, the HUD note does not appear. Blue flags appear immediately, however, if another car is close behind.

Hi Maskerader. I don't know what the beta webmenu is. Should I be using it?

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    It's a new user interface for some parts of the game, you can turn it on by adding this line in Steam options for this game, Startup parameters:
    -webmenu
    It's still in beta so there can be bugs.

Are you sure there are no other apps or webhuds or whatever? Telemetry, overlays... Or even something left from their previous installations.

I mean, while long loading times, loading loops and crashes is something that's regularly mentioned here, I don't remember anyone talking about disappearing buttons. This is not a common problem at all and probably deserves more attention. Which buttons and when does it happen? Also the other "few brand new bugs on the menu screens". Maybe it's connected to failing timer, maybe not.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    This sounds really odd. Never heard of this happening the way you describe it so far. Yes, there have been bugs with track-cut-detection, but they were not random. They were reproduceable and always at the same point of a given track.

The way you describe it this happens randomly and so often, that you don't need to drive too long to make it appear. Could you record such a session and upload the video to YT? And for the devs it would also be useful to have the game logs from this session (matching timestamp) to analyse. Logs can be found here:

..\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Log

I don't know which of the different logs would be the most useful one though.

Since you already did a reinstall, I have no real idea what could still cause this issue. The only thing that comes to my mind is: do you do any kind of overclocking on your CPU/GPU/RAM? Stuff like this can sometimes mess with the processed data at runtime.

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Can you tell us what your internet connection is , is this happening more a certain times of day etc ...

Andi

9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    It's not about track limits, I think the game just checks whether your system clock is running at the correct speed. Back when I had an unstable internet connection for a few months, the game would invalidate my laps out of nowhere sometimes. I've never seen that again since my ISP fixed their problems.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Max Myth

Max Myth New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Majuh. That sounds about right. I wondered if it might be something like that due to the totally random nature of what I was experiencing both in the front end and in gameplay. Certainly the eight successive laps where everything went well would indicate that the problem is probably connected to something on my end than in any particular flaw with Raceroom.

If I can find a few moments to rub together today, I will replace the hamsters and bits of string running the technological gizmos around here, and check Raceroom and see how things are doing. Thank you to everyone who has tried to help out, most appreciated.

11. Max Myth

Max Myth New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, I reinstalled various things (drivers etc.), ran antimalware software, unplugged and plugged various bits of hardware, and tried out Raceroom again. It took even longer to start, and then was stuck on the front end, so I could not even try out what was going on re. the timing issue.

Then, having perused the 'error 13' threads here, I tried out a free VPN, selected a server in The Netherlands, restarted R3E using 64 bit VR, with VoiceBot and Crew Chief running in the background, and hey presto! Everything works. I was able to practice with timed laps, qualify with timing, and run a 25 lap FR3 race at Silverstone National, and the only laps that did not have timing were the two where I ran wide. Load times were fine. I even exited the game without having to kill the process in task manager.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Where do you live and what's your ISP? Maybe that'll help find where is that bottleneck in the internet infrastructure.